• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,293 posts in this topic

On 11/2/2022 at 9:17 PM, zosocane said:

What a bloodbath.  

On 11/3/2022 at 9:42 PM, Nick Furious said:

The sales data is limited, and I haven't done much research, but I get the sense that prices on E.C. and Horror comics are holding up...E.C. Horror in particular.  

How about Gold Key's since it was certainly NOT a bloodbath for a couple of them in Dougie's Heritage Auction this past Thursday, although I must admit I do love the strength of that blood red cover on the Scobby book:  lol

https://comics.ha.com/itm/silver-age-1956-1969-/science-fiction/star-trek-1-gold-key-1967-cgc-nm-96-white-pages/a/40208-81416.s?ic16=ViewItem-Auction-Archive-PreviousPricesHeritage-081514#

Silver Age (1956-1969):Science Fiction, Star Trek #1 (Gold Key, 1967) CGC NM+ 9.6 White pages....

https://comics.ha.com/itm/bronze-age-1970-1979-/scooby-doo-1-gold-key-1970-cgc-nm-92-off-white-to-white-pages/a/40208-81403.s?ic16=ViewItem-BrowseTabs-Auction-Archive-ArchiveSearchResults-012417&lotPosition=0|0#

Bronze Age (1970-1979):Cartoon Character, Scooby Doo #1 (Gold Key, 1970) CGC NM- 9.2 Off-white to white pages....

Especially since Schmell was still able to sell both of these at more than double his original purchase price even after cracking them out and then failing to get an upgrade on either of them.  Poor Dougie had to settle for only a mere $45,600 on the Star Trek 1 after he had paid only $20,400 for it back in November of 2019 and also having gotten lucky earlier with the Scobby Doo 1 selling for $12,600 after he had paid only $6K for it back in March of 2020.  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

I was a low(er) offer on a Detective Comics 433 CGC 9.8 and still offered far too much. Thankfully, from my first CGC graded comic book purchase, like many here, I realized that for almost all Bronze Age comic books there is always another CGC graded 9.8 copy sooner or later that, typically, sells for less, perhaps much less, than previous copies. Of course, that did not prevent me in years past from overpaying for certain comic books that, also thankfully, other copies far more often than not have sold for substantially more than I paid for mine.

On 11/6/2022 at 12:54 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Wait, you're saying that a guy who already owns his own auction web site chose to list his books on Heritage instead?

What does that say to anyone considering listing their books in a Pedigree auction?

hm

On 11/6/2022 at 6:07 PM, Ryan. said:

Wait, you're saying that a guy who already owns his own auction web site chose to list his books on Heritage instead?

What does that say to anyone considering listing their books in a Pedigree auction?

Expand  

hm

hmhm

On 11/6/2022 at 6:44 PM, Mrs. Tux said:

I hope those people already know he's a lawyer who got disbarred for stealing his geriatric clients' money to fund his million dollar comic collection (thumbsu

I had no idea what this was about so I did a little searching.  I'm sharing a couple of links simply so that anyone who's curious can understand.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-supreme-court-appellate-division/1022446.html

As you may know, he auctioned off his Marvel collection perhaps ten years ago on HA. If I recall, the total sale was around $3.5 million.

On 11/6/2022 at 5:04 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I had no idea what this was about so I did a little searching.  I'm sharing a couple of links simply so that anyone who's curious can understand.

https://caselaw.findlaw.com/ny-supreme-court-appellate-division/1022446.html

i've definitely learned a thing or two from the boards over the last 5 years, like who are some of the shadier characters in the business. i would never bid on anything from his "auction" site and i don't trust any of his results either, for good reason. i'm sure there sre plenty of legit results acheived there, and i suspect some shenanigans may also happen. of course, no auction site is transparent and only on feebay can you see if someone is shilling an auction. so they should all be taken with a great deal of salt. 

On 11/6/2022 at 9:54 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

On 11/7/2022 at 4:33 AM, Tec-Tac-Toe said:

As you may know, he auctioned off his Marvel collection perhaps ten years ago on HA. If I recall, the total sale was around $3.5 million.

Exactly right as he certainly wouldn't want to use some questionable 2nd or 3rd rate auction platform when it came to his own personal collection.  :devil:

It seems that all of the boardies that responded agreed with the second option as per a post which I had in another thread the other week:  (thumbsu

On 10/28/2022 at 2:42 PM, lou_fine said:

As for Schmell using Heritage to auction off his own books (like his multi-million SA Marvel collection years ago), I see two scenarios here:  hm

1)  A positive from the POV that he does not want the sale of his books to be seen as a potential conflict of interest if auctioned off on his own Pedigree website;  or

2)  A negative since he is well aware that his Pedigree website would not bring him top dollars for his own books and his site is meant only for unwitting "losers" who don't mind leaving money on the table when selling their books?  :devil:

Not sure about other boardies' opinions here, but based upon Doug's rather "sterling" reputation, I am tending to lean towards the second scenario here. (shrug)

On 11/7/2022 at 10:45 AM, alexgross.com said:

i've definitely learned a thing or two from the boards over the last 5 years, like who are some of the shadier characters in the business. i would never bid on anything from his "auction" site and i don't trust any of his results either, for good reason. i'm sure there sre plenty of legit results acheived there, and i suspect some shenanigans may also happen. of course, no auction site is transparent and only on feebay can you see if someone is shilling an auction. so they should all be taken with a great deal of salt. 

This was all news to me but I have to say I'm now wrestling with the question of whether I should bid on future Pedigree auctions.

I don't have any direct experience to support the allegation, but before I heard about the disbarment the one thing I'd heard about Doug was that shill bidding was rampant on his site.  In light of this, I have bid with caution on Pedigree and been very careful not to bid too aggressively on any books there.  I've gotten a few bargains as a result.

I also know from experience that many of the non-auction listings on the site are quite stale, and it's common to buy a book and be told by Doug "oops, yeah I haven't been in contact with that seller for a few years, that book isn't really available."

Now the question is whether to boycott the site as some kind of moral stand, presumably to punish him for whatever he did 15-20 years ago.  I'm not 100% sure that's the right thing to do here, but I'll be thinking about it.

On 11/7/2022 at 3:42 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

This was all news to me but I have to say I'm now wrestling with the question of whether I should bid on future Pedigree auctions.

I don't have any direct experience to support the allegation, but before I heard about the disbarment the one thing I'd heard about Doug was that shill bidding was rampant on his site.  In light of this, I have bid with caution on Pedigree and been very careful not to bid too aggressively on any books there.  I've gotten a few bargains as a result.

I also know from experience that many of the non-auction listings on the site are quite stale, and it's common to buy a book and be told by Doug "oops, yeah I haven't been in contact with that seller for a few years, that book isn't really available."

Now the question is whether to boycott the site as some kind of moral stand, presumably to punish him for whatever he did 15-20 years ago.  I'm not 100% sure that's the right thing to do here, but I'll be thinking about it.

If the owner of an auction house is of questionable character and that is going to keep you from bidding on their auctions you should probably avoid Goldin and Heritage too. 

Not to go back to old topics but somewhat related to the Pedigree conversation given the recent IH 181 9.8 sale.    Yet another 9.8 sold on Heritage last night for $90k.    So that was $125k on Pedigree, $148k on Clink (Sucha news), $86.4k on Goldin, and $90k on Heritage........all in the past 4 weeks or so.  

614742287_ScreenShot2022-11-07at2_55_41PM.thumb.png.d0db4f6df05a7a5914aad1bf6b95f1e2.png

On 11/7/2022 at 3:01 PM, DC# said:

Not to go back to old topics but somewhat related to the Pedigree conversation given the recent IH 181 9.8 sale.    Yet another 9.8 sold on Heritage last night for $90k.    So that was $125k on Pedigree, $148k on Clink (Sucha news), $86.4k on Goldin, and $90k on Heritage........all in the past 4 weeks or so.  

614742287_ScreenShot2022-11-07at2_55_41PM.thumb.png.d0db4f6df05a7a5914aad1bf6b95f1e2.png

4 9.8s in a months time?   Wonder how many more will come out over the next 30 days....:popcorn:

My LCS just slabbed a copy, so you can expect the census to increase by at least one.:wink:

I haven't looked at GPA for 9.8 copies but $90k still feels like a strong price when compared to 3 years ago.

(I'm quite happy with my 8.5 copy purchased many moons ago...)

Edited by piper