• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
41 41

7,901 posts in this topic

Posted (edited)
On 5/30/2024 at 4:27 PM, ThothAmon said:

Do tell por favor?

Here is the most recent example. I am focusing on books I can crack, fix up, and resubmit. This copy of ASM 129 is a great candidate for that. 

Last sale in GPA was $1920, and 90 day GPA is $2233. I put in a bid for 2327 and lost out already, and the auction isnt even over. 

capture.jpg

Edited by Stefan_W

On 5/30/2024 at 12:41 PM, Stefan_W said:

Can't wait for the @DC# breakdown of the current CL auction. Everything I have bid on so far went well above GPA. 

Working on it :)     There were some crazy strong results.     I started to bid on this one but quickly realized there were others with a much stronger itch.    Attaching the last sale on Heritage as a comparison.   

Screenshot2024-05-30at4_40_59PM.png.35618fbc4451aad1e3f518e9cfc29874.png

Screenshot2024-05-30at4_42_42PM.thumb.png.7e0ddc4dc600b4f46dca705a14ecbbb0.png

On 5/30/2024 at 1:27 PM, ThothAmon said:

Do tell por favor?

The DD 130 in 9.6 I posted a few posts back is also a new GPA high by several hundred dollars for a non-key 9.6 with Cream to OW pages. There were some pandemic results in this auction, not across the board or anything but some books went ballistic.

On 5/30/2024 at 7:43 PM, DC# said:

Working on it :)     There were some crazy strong results.     I started to bid on this one but quickly realized there were others with a much stronger itch.    Attaching the last sale on Heritage as a comparison.   

Earlier today, when it was sitting at 5500, I was thinking of chasing the restored AF15 with glue holding the cover on, and then it shot up to over 12k which is too close to what an unrestored copy would go for. Wild auction. 

On 5/30/2024 at 2:53 PM, the blob said:

You are not including dividend reinvestment. S&P is up 107% since 1/1/2018. Transactional costs and taxes are higher for collectibles as well.

The S&P yield is about 1.5% annually. But, it's a valid point for those who just hold and reinvest dividends. 

Not sure how realistic it is to compare returns on them, much less predict the next 6 years. 

I'm pretty firm in the assessment that comic books are a sound inclusion in an asset portfolio. 

I don't even file taxes, let alone book them when I sell comic books. 

On 5/31/2024 at 9:43 AM, DC# said:

Screenshot2024-05-30at4_40_59PM.png.35618fbc4451aad1e3f518e9cfc29874.png

Screenshot2024-05-30at4_42_42PM.thumb.png.7e0ddc4dc600b4f46dca705a14ecbbb0.png

It's clear that Clink and Heritage have different audiences following, and bidding.  

On 5/17/2024 at 11:22 AM, Q.N.S. said:

Just a reality check. Since 2018, the Dow has risen about 58%, and the S&P 78%. 

As of April's data, the Silver Age Index is still up 252% in the same time frame. The Bronze Age is up 110%, and the Copper Age is up 69%. 

The big difference is that stocks, metals, etc, these are at their 5-year highs, but comic books are way off their highs. 

Comics are around their supports, and still compare favorably, while the others are far extended.

Gonna need you to show your math on this one lol

On 6/2/2024 at 11:12 AM, Q.N.S. said:

Swagglehaus posts an update every month on the index as it is released. 

These charts are great news for people who haven't bought a single comic since 2020 I guess, or bought the right books. I bought a Hulk 181 9.2 more than 5 years ago and it is barely selling for what I paid for it, so I really question what books he is using in this "index". 

On 6/2/2024 at 3:08 PM, rsouxlja7 said:

These charts are great news for people who haven't bought a single comic since 2020 I guess, or bought the right books. I bought a Hulk 181 9.2 more than 5 years ago and it is barely selling for what I paid for it, so I really question what books he is using in this "index". 

Unless the index tracks your specific purchase of Hulk 181, I'm not sure that's how an index works. :bigsmile:

On 5/28/2024 at 11:28 PM, Stefan_W said:

If I was the owner of the 9.2 copy I would be extremely annoyed by these results that were only 40 second apart.

capture.jpg

Not that the proverbial man-on-the-street could see a significant difference between the two other than the number on the label, which in actual fact isn't much different either.

(shrug)

On 5/15/2024 at 7:36 PM, Stefan_W said:

I tell people that comics are like any other collectable. Most are not worth very much but a select few are. 

And the main reason that a select few are "worth" astronomical prices relative to all the rest is because of insane demand. That though should make comic "investors" nervous, very nervous. You see unlike supply, demand is fickle and subject to the vagaries of fashion. 

Now I know why I love my comics and other collectibles. It's a combination of nostalgia and my own personal aesthetics which are to a certain extent a product of my life experiences. Since these two factors are largely a function of my age, they're shared to a large degree by whoever else was born in the United States, Canada and the United Kingdom at roughly the same time. But I won't last forever. And when I'm gone the nostalgia aspect of my demand will disappear and there's no guaranty many other people will continue to share my aesthetic preferences. So what will happen to the demand for the comics and other collectibles that I love so much? A sobering thought indeed for those younger than me.

:preach:

After skimming over the list that is a lot of hurt for a lot of sellers.  I was expecting a good balance of red and green based on hearing Motor City was a decent selling Con and comments in this thread but all I see is a lot of red even on the far left.  Bunch and bunch of 30% and more drops on some of the biggest and best books in the industry is just sad at this point (being several years past COVID boom).  I see a couple Spidey issues that did very well but I'm hoping the second part has a whole lot more green!

On 6/3/2024 at 9:09 AM, 1Cool said:

After skimming over the list that is a lot of hurt for a lot of sellers.  I was expecting a good balance of red and green based on hearing Motor City was a decent selling Con and comments in this thread but all I see is a lot of red even on the far left.  Bunch and bunch of 30% and more drops on some of the biggest and best books in the industry is just sad at this point (being several years past COVID boom).  I see a couple Spidey issues that did very well but I'm hoping the second part has a whole lot more green!

That was my take too... Marvel silver and bronze still dropping.  There's just way too much of this material being offered for sale these days.  Though it's also been my observation that ComicLink has been getting particularly weak results for a while now and that's partly because these books have always been their sweet spot.

On 6/2/2024 at 6:41 PM, Telegan said:

Unless the index tracks your specific purchase of Hulk 181, I'm not sure that's how an index works. :bigsmile:

Just questioning the methodology, i.e. what books were included, how is it being calculated, etc. If you have a bronze age index then Hulk 181 is basically your Apple, Microsoft, and Google all rolled into one, and if that book has basically done nothing over the past 5 years then how are we getting these percentages. 

I would also question if the list of books includes books that were winners in hindsight (MCU spec paid off) and maybe excludes things that people were actually buying in 2018 on MCU spec that maybe didn't pay off.