• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

6,937 posts in this topic

On 11/23/2022 at 4:12 PM, Nazirite said:

That is why I see no need to rush, I'm not even 30, not to sound rude or dark but all I have do is wait. Not every kid or grandkid in this country will follow the instructions left behind by the previous owner and will sell for pennies on the dollar. Will I pick up a Amazing Fantasy 15 or  All-American Comics 16 at a yard sale? Probably not but the hunt will still be awesome.  Of course this only applies if I don't get run over by a bus tomorrow. 

Time is on your side young grasshopper.

On 11/23/2022 at 9:23 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Which three are you still missing?

My advice is to decide on (realistic) prices you'd be comfortable with, and persistently look for opportunities to get your books at your prices.  It doesn't always work, and some people can be real jerks, but you'd be surprised how often an offer below ask results in a deal.  Depending on your target grades, you can get lucky in auctions too if your target book is flying a bit under most people's radar.

Also when buying in an overheated market I have tried to be at peace with the occasional overpay if (a) the book is genuinely hard to find -- time is money after all -- or (b) I feel good about the cost basis of my collection as a whole, since most of the books were bought before the crazy run-up.

Good luck in the hunt and don't give up when you're this close!

Missing 2, 3 and Annual #1 hoping to land in the 5.5 - 7.0 range for all three. This has been a 45+ year journey so there is no giving up. I've been doing some research, watching auctions and this thread etc... to get a good pulse. Considering putting a up a WTB thread soon. 

On 11/23/2022 at 11:43 AM, universal soldier said:

Missing 2, 3 and Annual #1 hoping to land in the 5.5 - 7.0 range for all three. This has been a 45+ year journey so there is no giving up. I've been doing some research, watching auctions and this thread etc... to get a good pulse. Considering putting a up a WTB thread soon. 

3 books away.  Treat yourself. :foryou:

On 11/28/2022 at 5:19 AM, g-man said:

just saw a sweet Adv 283 cgc 9.4 go for nearly $10k w the juice last night. 

If the census is correct that means both of the highest graded copies have changed hands since 2020.  The other one went for $9K in 2020, so pretty similar.  Last sale before those was in 2008 for $2390.

Edited by mjoeyoung

On 11/25/2022 at 3:53 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

Not to worry.  As soon as he gets them....he can start upgrading the entire run :insane:

lol I'm already doing that :ohnoez:

I have not had any time to dive into yesterday's sales in the latest Comic Link auction (prices looked strong at first glance), but I wanted to post this image, an example of how "bubbles" form and pop.  This chart looks pretty similar to the Dotcom Boom and Bust from 1996 to 2002.  It will be interesting to look back in a few years and see how many collectibles follow a similar pattern.  My opinion is that comic values as a whole are somewhere around "Bull Trap" and "Return to Normal." Some values seem like bargains now that they have dropped from the heights, but it may be a mirage. It could also be that individual books, or Ages, are at different places. I still think the economy is going to get worse before it gets better, and that it will have an effect on collectible value.  Not sure how it is going to turn out, but the ride is very entertaining! :nyah:

R.thumb.jpg.dee504e756a82b6fd051f1b7e211d85a.jpg

Looking back on 2021 the timing of the selling of the Promise Collection was one of the most fortuitous happenings ever in the comic-book hobby.  So many incredible highest graded copies.  I think most of these books will be buried in collections for years which is probably a good thing since I can't imagine many will be sold for a profit at the prices the buyers paid.

On 11/29/2022 at 11:04 PM, Moondog said:

Looking back on 2021 the timing of the selling of the Promise Collection was one of the most fortuitous happenings ever in the comic-book hobby.  So many incredible highest graded copies.  I think most of these books will be buried in collections for years which is probably a good thing since I can't imagine many will be sold for a profit at the prices the buyers paid.

Yes, I got caught in the mania for a book I knew I’d never see again. I’m glad to have it. But I’ve long resigned myself to the reality of my situation: I’ll be using the loss I’ll likely take on it to offset the profits on the rest of my collection. When the day comes, of course. But that ain’t today. 

On 11/30/2022 at 12:00 AM, Moondog said:

This was my book.  I told my client that I estimated it would sell for $11,000.  The previous 12-month average was $19K.  He grimaced when I told him and then he said, "Well, I paid 12 cents for it - that's not too bad."

Maybe the 9.2 copy in the auction influenced the bids? I really liked the 8.0 copy. Nice white cover. 

As for CLink, I can anecdotally say that the stuff I was interested in this round has been selling very strongly. I've been hoovering up cheap junk during the last several auction cycles, so I was hoping that would continue with the latest round. However, most of the books I was interested in jumped out to very strong bids right out of the gate. I'm still hanging in on a couple of books, but if I DO manage to grab them, they won't be steals like I've been finding recently. I'm wondering if this is because this is a "big" or "featured" auction, and those get more eyeballs than the smaller "focused" auctions do? Or if there are more sellers out there, uh, "protecting their investments" this time. Interesting for sure. Going to save my money (for the most part) and hopefully get some more cheap stuff during the winter doldrums, before tax refunds hit and the market presumably rebounds (to an extent.) It helps that I tend to stick with common books and stuff that most folks wouldn't care that much about. I'm not chasing any keys or anything.

On 11/30/2022 at 8:44 AM, F For Fake said:

Or if there are more sellers out there, uh, "protecting their investments" this time.

I see what you did there... But, if an individual IS bullish on comics and they bought something for $2K and another copy is going for $1K, they SHOULD see it as a buying opportunity.

On 11/30/2022 at 12:33 PM, supapimp said:

I’m happy that it’s a buyers market currently for non uber high grade books. But at the same time I’m not happy with the market correction on some of my books. Ugh 😑 

In some ways it is a win-win.  Values go up, my books are worth more, but I can afford less.  Values go down, my books are worth less, but I can afford more. The only problem is when the books you WANT are high value, and the books you OWN are less value. :pullhair: