• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,153 posts in this topic

On 3/3/2023 at 3:15 PM, jimjum12 said:
On 3/3/2023 at 1:27 PM, Rob said:

Is CVA becoming a thing now?  I roll my eyes at it, but CAC stickers on slabbed coins is seen as a legit indicator and collectors pay more for it.  Of course it's headed up by the guy who started PCGS.  I'm not sure who's behind CVA.

I think Mark Haspel was involved in some way. That's what I heard anyway. GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

I always thought it was an offshoot/subsidiary of Clink. I've never seen those stickers anywhere else.

https://cvacomics.com/the-cva-team/

On 3/3/2023 at 8:55 AM, Number 6 said:

Well, my TTA #90 9.6 sold for $2,800. 

This time last year a 9.6 sold on HA for $5,500. 

Granted, the HA copy had white pages and a better cover wrap but I don’t know that that would account for a whole 50% off. 

So for me personally, yeah they ease quite a bit.  

On 3/3/2023 at 7:22 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

I don't have a good explanation for this result ...

image.thumb.png.00248ce41885849180f02c1f7168955d.png

image.thumb.png.ff46c77bff7b437c45d23bb5a61e7569.png

On 3/3/2023 at 1:25 AM, Microchip said:

The latest Clink auction, a few books I was following.

I can't see a lot of ease going on here.

image.thumb.png.247d159ac99fedb5884d4c8ddc0866f5.png

The TTA had a colour breaking hole in the centre of the cover.  #freegradernotes (worship)

The SS #10 could have been in a 9.6 holder and no one would have looked twice.

When you see a crazy price on a 9.6 often it can be someone driving the price up who thinks it may have a shot at 9.8 on a resub. Not always, but sometimes. 

Other times, it's just people who want a book bad for their collection. Right time, right place. 

As far as sales prices in general, I don't want to keep posting auction results but in my experience some books continue to sell below my expectations, some above my expectations and some right at my expectations. If I were I'd average them all out, they're definitely below recent GPA averages (averages not peaks - I don't like outliers) but not 20-30% below. 

More like 10-15% below. 

And NOTHING is selling for 2019-2020 money. 

On 3/3/2023 at 3:15 PM, jimjum12 said:
On 3/3/2023 at 1:27 PM, Rob said:

Is CVA becoming a thing now?  I roll my eyes at it, but CAC stickers on slabbed coins is seen as a legit indicator and collectors pay more for it.  Of course it's headed up by the guy who started PCGS.  I'm not sure who's behind CVA.

I think Mark Haspel was involved in some way. That's what I heard anyway. GOD BLESS ...

It's not Haspel.

@Rob It servers as a service that identifies books that look exceptional within a given grade.

Collectors definitely pay more for them. History has proven that. 

They got the idea from the coin hobby, where they've had similar things for years. 

Edited by VintageComics

On 3/3/2023 at 8:14 PM, VintageComics said:

It's not Haspel.

@Rob It servers as a service that identifies books that look exceptional within a given grade.

Collectors definitely pay more for them. History has proven that. 

They got the idea from the coin hobby, where they've had similar things for years. 

Yeah, I'm a CAC member.  I just didn't know if it's caught on as mainstream in comics or is it considered a gimmick?

On 3/2/2023 at 10:13 PM, comicnoir said:

I'm surprised nobody commented on this band. They were extraordinary and this song is amazing. I first found out about them when I saw the album artwork for their record, Who Will Save the World?, done by the also extraordinary Neal Adams. Folds out into a comic book. Sometimes you can't teach anything around here.

Edited by comicnoir

On 3/3/2023 at 10:24 PM, Rob said:

Yeah, I'm a CAC member.  I just didn't know if it's caught on as mainstream in comics or is it considered a gimmick?

Well, originally it was thought to be a gimmick but considering it's now affecting prices I'd say it's caught on. 

On 3/3/2023 at 10:57 PM, VintageComics said:

Well, originally it was thought to be a gimmick but considering it's now affecting prices I'd say it's caught on. 

I’ve never seen any complaints posted from someone that bought a CVA stickered book & was disappointed....so that’s  something....

On 3/4/2023 at 10:45 AM, Robot Man said:

It doesn’t take a Brainiac to see when a book presents much better than the number in the upper left corner. Buy the book. Not the label. I don’t need no steenking sticker to tell me that…

You don’t need no Steenking badges, either. There’s gold in dem der hills. Great movie. (Fixed). 

Edited by GrasshopperFF

On 3/4/2023 at 9:56 AM, GrasshopperFF said:
On 3/4/2023 at 9:45 AM, Robot Man said:

It doesn’t take a Brainiac to see when a book presents much better than the number in the upper left corner. Buy the book. Not the label. I don’t need no steenking sticker to tell me that…

You don’t need no Steenking badges, either. There’s gold in dem der hills. Great movie. (Fixed). 

indeed these are the days. dog days of summer coming soon, to get out an hunt

Coming Soon: Make Online Dating More Fun with Animated Messages on Meetville

On 3/3/2023 at 1:25 AM, Microchip said:

The latest Clink auction, a few books I was following.

I can't see a lot of ease going on here.

image.thumb.png.247d159ac99fedb5884d4c8ddc0866f5.png

The TTA had a colour breaking hole in the centre of the cover.  #freegradernotes (worship)

The SS #10 could have been in a 9.6 holder and no one would have looked twice.

Yeah very anecdotal but couple 9.4s I was after last night were most definitely not easing! Be nice if they were. 

On 3/3/2023 at 10:24 PM, Rob said:

As with everything else in this hobby,  it's a matter of opinion and depends who's answering the question. Just my 2c, I think there's a place for it. The sticker can be a factor in a certain grade range where there's often wide divergence in eye appeal like maybe mid grades. The higher grade NMs can have subtle finite differences between them that are tough to spot on a scan like tiny spine ticks. Other cases can involve color depth on some copies being a little more vibrant than others. Just one example but I know of a few ASM issues that are notoriously different in color depth from copy to copy. 

The fact that grading is so unavoidably subjective has given an opening to this type of thing. So overall I think it has a place except maybe for 9.8s where it can just be redundant at that point. Whether it's worth a sizable premium? That's up to the individual judging the copy for themselves to the best of their ability. 

Edited by MGsimba77

On 3/4/2023 at 4:35 PM, Pantodude said:

I was going to comment on the stickers issue, but this issue seems to warrant some investigation first (comparing scans, etc).  Perhaps they have their place.     

I think we need a CVA thread where we can get a bunch of stickered slabs  posted....

0718DF83-5E02-497A-82A2-C8D0DC0FAF2F.gif.f8f7ce11e13d2a87f5585204587503f8.gif

On 3/3/2023 at 7:57 PM, VintageComics said:
On 3/3/2023 at 7:24 PM, Rob said:

Probably the same way that some collectors thought that certification was a gimmick and yet buyers tend to pay more for say a CGC 9.6 graded copy over a CGC 9.4 graded copy of the exact same book.  Go figure that!!!  lol

Then again, probably not universally true since in some cases with some of the GA auctions we've seen recently, we are now seeing bidders going higher for "equivalent" raw graded books as compared to their certified graded counterparts.  :whatthe:  (:

On 3/3/2023 at 10:27 AM, Rob said:

On 3/3/2023 at 7:57 PM, VintageComics said:

On 3/3/2023 at 12:40 PM, MR. Pontoon said:

I always thought it was an offshoot/subsidiary of Clink. I've never seen those stickers anywhere else.

Yes, I believe CVA is either directly or indirectly "linked" to CL, similar to how the QES stickers are either directly or indirectly "connected" to CC.  :wink:

I imagine the stickers serves a useful purpose for those who are into the CPR game, but are either too lazy or don't have the required eyes or skills to discern which books are potentially upgradeable.  I remember doing a small sample of about 10 or so former CVA or QES stickered books which Schmell was auctioning off on Heritage as part of his Doug's Dell & Gold Key Showcase Auction a few months ago.  Talk about a perfect batting average because if I remember correctly, every single one of the books I looked at had either an one or two step increment in their grades.  (thumbsu

The nice part about it and rather fittingly ironic thing though was that many of the books had actually sold almost two years earlier for more or approximately the same money at CC with the LOWER CGC grade and the QES sticker, although I believe he did end up with a big win on one of the CVA stickered books which made up for the losses he had suffered on the other books which I looked at.  (:  lol

The real question I have is why would any rational collector ever consign their books with Schmell's PedigreeComics.com website when he himself has absolutely zero confidence in it whenever it comes to auctioning off his own books, whether it be his uber HG early SA Marvel collection several years ago or his HG Dell & Gold Key File Copies during the past few months.  :facepalm:  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/5/2023 at 11:17 AM, lou_fine said:

The real question I have is why would any rational collector ever consign their books with Schmell's PedigreeComics.com website when he himself has absolutely zero confidence in it whenever it comes to auctioning off his own books, whether it be his uber HG early SA Marvel collection several years ago or his HG Dell & Gold Key File Copies during the past few months.  :facepalm:  :devil:

The same goes for world wide comics.  They know their direct audience doesn't have the deepest pockets.   CL, CC, & HA are where the big dollars get frequently spent.