• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Are prices still climbing or have they eased up a bit???
43 43

7,152 posts in this topic

On 3/4/2023 at 6:39 PM, lou_fine said:

Then again, probably not universally true since in some cases with some of the GA auctions we've seen recently, we are now seeing bidders going higher for "equivalent" raw graded books as compared to their certified graded counterparts.  :whatthe:  (:

Some people trust the opinions of others (like grading companies). Some don't. 

Just like some people trust what the news tells them, full stop. Some don't. 

Different folks for different strokes. 

I'm not trying to draw a parallel between the news and CGC. I'm simply trying to show that everyone has different levels of trust and also experience and understanding. 

On 3/4/2023 at 6:50 PM, Microchip said:
On 3/4/2023 at 4:17 PM, lou_fine said:

The real question I have is why would any rational collector ever consign their books with Schmell's PedigreeComics.com website when he himself has absolutely zero confidence in it whenever it comes to auctioning off his own books, whether it be his uber HG early SA Marvel collection several years ago or his HG Dell & Gold Key File Copies during the past few months.  :facepalm:  :devil:

The same goes for world wide comics.  They know their direct audience doesn't have the deepest pockets.   CL, CC, & HA are where the big dollars get frequently spent.

The difference I see is that the World Wide books were clearly brought with the full intention of resale and hopefully with a possible upgrade.  To me, I view that as being one of his business strategies with these books clearly being part of his business inventory and sold on an ongoing basis.  (thumbsu

With respect to Schmell, I am referring to his large collections which he had been building over the years and then utilizing Heritage to sell them on his behalf through a one-time huge sale through a Heritage Signature Auction for his SA Marvels several years ago and then through a targeted Showcase Auction for his Dell and Gold Key File Copies.  Not really the same thing since it's really not part of his buisness inventory to be sold on an ongoing basis.  hm  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/4/2023 at 7:00 PM, VintageComics said:
On 3/4/2023 at 3:39 PM, lou_fine said:

Then again, probably not universally true since in some cases with some of the GA auctions we've seen recently, we are now seeing bidders going higher for "equivalent" raw graded books as compared to their certified graded counterparts.  :whatthe:  (:

Some people trust the opinions of others (like grading companies). Some don't. 

I am just rather surprised that it's Heritage who have been knocked for a lot of possible questionable business practices, but clearly not with respect to their raw grading.  :whatthe:

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/3/2023 at 10:12 PM, VintageComics said:

When you see a crazy price on a 9.6 often it can be someone driving the price up who thinks it may have a shot at 9.8 on a resub.

When submitting a 9.6 in hopes of a 9.8, would you crack and resubmit blind or turn in the 9.6 for a proper census update?

On 3/5/2023 at 4:38 AM, mstrange said:

Price drop for Solomon Grundy.

20230305_044004.jpg

As I've always said, nothing ever goes up in a stright line forever, probably nothing but a healthy bit of price consolidation in the $26K to $31K prcie range for CGC 6.0 to CGC 7.0 graded copies copies during the past year or so with that $36K price point being a outlier result of the Promise Collection hangover.  hm  (shrug)

Looks like it's still mostly a sea of red here, but at least we seem to be seeing some green waves coming in there.  (thumbsu

Then again, most of those green waves seems to be coming in from the GA side of the marketplace.  (shrug)

On 3/13/2023 at 12:18 PM, Northwest said:

FYI The cap 3 6.5 was conserved hence the comp difference

That would certainly explain the seemingly huge percentage drop for the Cap 3.  (thumbsu

As for the drop on the Cap 1, it looks like you are comparing a CL result of $201K to a HA result of $312 from last year.  Personally, I feel this might be influenced by some of the old school type of collectors who don't really care for the CL auction model of tossing in last second blind bids in order to try to win a book.  Being more conservative, they probably tend to prefer the CC or HA step by step incremental bidding model whereby they can make a more fully informed bidding decision and know EXACTLY what they have to bid if they want to win a book.  For all we know, the lucky winning bidder might actually have had a much higher bid in there, but some of the other bidders probably didn't even bother bidding because they simply don't care to take part in this kind of "blind" bidding process.  (shrug)

I think we'll get a much better idea of the true current value for a CGC 7.0 graded copy of Cap 1 when the one in the CC Event Auction ends this coming Wednesday because it's already well over $240K with still another two days left to go in the auction: :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/988064

cap1.2368.jpg

On 3/13/2023 at 6:54 PM, lou_fine said:

Looks like it's still mostly a sea of red here, but at least we seem to be seeing some green waves coming in there.  (thumbsu

Then again, most of those green waves seems to be coming in from the GA side of the marketplace.  (shrug)

That would certainly explain the seemingly huge percentage drop for the Cap 3.  (thumbsu

As for the drop on the Cap 1, it looks like you are comparing a CL result of $201K to a HA result of $312 from last year.  Personally, I feel this might be influenced by some of the old school type of collectors who don't really care for the CL auction model of tossing in last second blind bids in order to try to win a book.  Being more conservative, they probably tend to prefer the CC or HA step by step incremental bidding model whereby they can make a more fully informed bidding decision and know EXACTLY what they have to bid if they want to win a book.  For all we know, the lucky winning bidder might actually have had a much higher bid in there, but some of the other bidders probably didn't even bother bidding because they simply don't care to take part in this kind of "blind" bidding process.  (shrug)

I think we'll get a much better idea of the true current value for a CGC 7.0 graded copy of Cap 1 when the one in the CC Event Auction ends this coming Wednesday because it's already well over $240K with still another two days left to go in the auction: :popcorn:  :taptaptap:  :taptaptap:

https://www.comicconnect.com/item/988064

cap1.2368.jpg

And it’s got a sticker :cloud9:

Despite the sea of red in the (much appreciated) ComicLink reports above, everything I bid on went for crazy prices at or above peak pandemic prices.  I posted a couple of examples above.

Then a few days later (last night in fact), I got several very good deals on Heritage.  A very strange week for me.

On 3/13/2023 at 4:02 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

And it’s got a sticker :cloud9:

And this shall we say rather "scintillating" stickerless 7.0 copy on Heritage and fully NOT deserving of one managed to fetched $312K:  lol

https://comics.ha.com/itm/golden-age-1938-1955-/captain-america-comics-1-timely-1941-cgc-fn-vf-70-cream-to-off-white-pages/a/40200-83099.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Golden Age (1938-1955):Superhero, Captain America Comics #1 (Timely, 1941) CGC FN/VF 7.0 Cream to off-white pages....

Of course at the time, that was still a noticeable drop from the STICKERED CGC 7.0 graded copy that CC had sold for almost $340K a couple of months earlier in March of 2022. (thumbsu

Seriously though, if you the type of buyer who's into the CPR or any type of upgrade game, your chances are certainly a lot higher when you have a slab with a sticker on it.  hm

Edited by lou_fine

On 3/13/2023 at 11:05 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Despite the sea of red in the (much appreciated) ComicLink reports above, everything I bid on went for crazy prices at or above peak pandemic prices.  I posted a couple of examples above.

Then a few days later (last night in fact), I got several very good deals on Heritage.  A very strange week for me.

Same here..... apart from the last part. :violin:

On 3/13/2023 at 7:05 PM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

You can definitely find some good deals on Heritage outside of the blockbuster books as Heritage caters more to the high end investor types who can’t be bothered to dive through the “dollar” boxes (okay, maybe more like the thousands or tens of thousand dollar boxes). The big $$ buyers have bidders working on their behalf anyway, it’s not like they’re sitting around at home hitting the refresh button when these auctions go off. lol

It’s just how Halperin set it up.