• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 5/17/2023 at 5:02 AM, tabcom said:

Buying comic books as a short term investment rarely work.

Buyer premiums, Sales tax, Credit card fees, Seller fees, pressing fees.

counterbalancing this is the dopamine rush of hearing: SOLD!

It’s all about that conditioning that we all need to be a “winner”. The only winner is the consigner and the auction house. “Winning” an auction just means that you are the one that paid the most. The feeling is fleeting and in the case of these books, the feeling is proving to be, “I paid how much?”. The feeling of having to be the “winner” is just often a sign of insecurity.

The only time I feel like a “winner” in this hobby is when I get a great deal and there were very few “winning” bidders in this collection…

On 5/17/2023 at 8:37 AM, GermanFan said:

I find it boring purchasing via auction houses and dealers. Its much more fun to hunt them down elsewhere and get them cheap. I like my comics cheap.

I’m with you. It’s always been about the “thrill of the hunt” and discovering stuff out in the wild. Flea markets, antique shops and shows, estate sales and even box diving at cons has always proved very fruitful to me over the years. Sitting in front of a computer is so easy and lonely.

I like finding stuff cheap as well. But, once in a while I pay up for something I really want. I don’t really consider myself “cheap” but rather shrewd and smart. If I want to brag (which I just don’t have the need to do), I’d much rather brag about how little I paid, rather than how much I paid.

At the end of the day, it is less about the object and more about the experience and the folks I meet in my travels. 

On 5/16/2023 at 10:03 PM, tth2 said:

Except we’re not talking about a few thousand.  The losses on some of these books are five figures.  

That's for divorces, not hobbies!

On 5/16/2023 at 6:31 AM, Bronty said:

I would guess that cash is tight all over and that people have reset their expectations somewhat.    I follow 4-5 different hobbies and prices are down everywhere.    What you paid in 2021 might be painful mentally but its also not practically relevant if you need to raise cash.     So, I'll go with overextended for $1000, Alex.   (Although overextended might lead to divorce too!).

Seeing this too right now, if ever so slight...

On 5/19/2023 at 12:06 AM, mustang33guy said:

Bought this in the initial offering of the Promise books! My favorite cover from this run.

D73655A3-7CB5-4713-B3D1-B7AB5F37538F.jpeg

It's not a bad copy. In general it seemed like the mid-grade copies stayed a little closer to fair market value. I bought two 9.2s and a 6.5, and I was happiest with the price on the 6.5.

On 5/19/2023 at 4:48 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

In general it seemed like the mid-grade copies stayed a little closer to fair market value. I bought two 9.2s and a 6.5, and I was happiest with the price on the 6.5.

Not surprising.  Most of the Promise books weren't rare, except in high grade.  

I'm quite comfortable saying that the Promise pedigree has been a boon for the market. Given some of the high grade attributions and range of criticism this pedigree has received it's understandable why most Promise books flip like a lead pancake, but over time the Promise collection pedigree should achieve a better balance, hype notwithstanding. What's very encouraging has been the GA market in general; prices for GA books on average have been going through the roof (passing right through the debt ceiling in fact!). Without any "Pollyanna-ish" expectations, it bodes well for market stability in spite of pending economic uncertainty. 

Just for grins, here's a recap (well, actually no Caps, but Subby, Torch and Cat-Man)...

Spoiler

(edited)_(edited)_(edited)_Sub-Mariner_19(2).png.b6ce2470748c5a0fa399d246ce99931c.png

Spoiler

(edited)_(edited)_MMC_76.jpeg.b8f1be9d5a750aaa108671bb62d6e637.jpeg

Spoiler

(edited)_(edited)_Cat-Man_30(2).jpeg.9e8e6b886070c4a476b59f19df2efe7b.jpeg

:cheers:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale!

On 5/19/2023 at 3:09 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

This was the 6.5. It was $7,500, which was $600 more than what the 7.0 Rockford had sold for five months prior, so it was a strong price to say the least, but I like like the Promise copy a shade better because it was cut to show slightly more artwork along the bottom edge (and a sliver more along the right edge). The Rockford does appear to have deeper reds, so it's close.

The book is not rare, but it isn't easy to find a copy above fine. There should be some nice pedigree copies out there, but it's probably one of those books that collectors hang on to. It's my second-favorite Pep behind #34 (which I don't own).

0904222242341.jpg

Those Montana covers were always Top Notch,

On 6/4/2023 at 11:02 AM, tth2 said:

I feel it's like a lemon squeezed for the last drops :bigsmile:

Edited by comicjack

On 6/4/2023 at 6:35 PM, goldsilverap said:

Nice pick up. Only two copies on the census.