• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
16 16

1,591 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, podboy66 said:

I was lucky to pick these two up.  Upgrades from my current 6.0 and 4.0.  These ones are tough in grade!  Only double of what I thought that they would go for.

Sub 29 cgc 9.0 Promise Collection.jpg

sub 31 cgc 8.5 promise collection.jpg

I was wondering who stole that 29 ... glad it was  you, Vern. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

15 hours ago, podboy66 said:

I was lucky to pick these two up.  Upgrades from my current 6.0 and 4.0.  These ones are tough in grade!  Only double of what I thought that they would go for.

Sub 29 cgc 9.0 Promise Collection.jpg

sub 31 cgc 8.5 promise collection.jpg

Congrats, I was an underbidder on the #29, ...it took a lot of will power to resist hitting that bid button again! lol

:tink:

19 minutes ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I ain’t no detective, but I think I’ve deduced Heritage’s plan to catch the secondary market . . . 

17CB749E-4F17-466E-B2B4-B92D00767F74.jpeg

Whoever consigned the Promise Collection is most definitely cashing in right now! 90% of it including the BP! :o

2 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

Whoever consigned the Promise Collection is most definitely cashing in right now! 90% of it including the BP! :o

I think this is a certificate that accompanies the Promise books that were purchased in this auction.  It basically offers a special rebate for anyone that resells their Promise book through Heritage.

Which is an interesting strategy.  I'd have thought that they prefer that any Promise books be resold outside of Heritage, so that if they sell for a loss, Heritage can say "See what happens when you don't sell on Heritage?"

9 minutes ago, tth2 said:

I think this is a certificate that accompanies the Promise books that were purchased in this auction.  It basically offers a special rebate for anyone that resells their Promise book through Heritage.

That makes sense, a nice chunk of money for whoever decides to sell their book. I read the certificate too fast. xD

Edited by Terry_JSA

7 minutes ago, tth2 said:

Which is an interesting strategy.  I'd have thought that they prefer that any Promise books be resold outside of Heritage, so that if they sell for a loss, Heritage can say "See what happens when you don't sell on Heritage?"

Heritage is making sure the collection is closely associated with them, them going this route doesn’t surprise me. 

1 minute ago, tth2 said:

It still means that the price has to go up approximately 10% to break even.

Do you think some of the books would have trouble doing that if they were to be consigned again?

14 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:
14 hours ago, tth2 said:

It still means that the price has to go up approximately 10% to break even.

Do you think some of the books would have trouble doing that if they were to be consigned again?

With the odd exception such as the All-American 61 and possibly a couple others that sold early, most definitely YES.  (thumbsu

That's why they include "and family member" in their Auction Certificate since they assume that the book(s) will most likely be passed down to their heirs before buyers will even think of reselling because who in the world wants to lose big money.  :devil:

Edited by lou_fine

16 hours ago, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

I ain’t no detective, but I think I’ve deduced Heritage’s plan to catch the secondary market. So when the first wave of buyers sell, why wouldn’t they go back thru Heritage?

17CB749E-4F17-466E-B2B4-B92D00767F74.jpeg

I have gotten similar certificates in the past.  I can't remember what the books were but I have the certs at home still.

33 minutes ago, cheetah said:

I have gotten similar certificates in the past.  I can't remember what the books were but I have the certs at home still.

I've won books from Heritage before and have not received one of these certificates for any of my winnings to date yet.  (shrug)

Maybe it's only for bigger dollar books where they figured they've made big money on them already and they can hopefully do it again.  :devil:

1 hour ago, lou_fine said:

I've won books from Heritage before and have not received one of these certificates for any of my winnings to date yet.  (shrug)

Maybe it's only for bigger dollar books where they figured they've made big money on them already and they can hopefully do it again.  :devil:

When I’m home next I will search them out and post them.  I never used them, though, because I sold the books on the boards.

19 hours ago, Terry_JSA said:

You might have read the certificate incorrectly, but it wouldn't surprise me one bit if the consignors got a deal like this.