• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 3/28/2023 at 8:06 AM, Robot Man said:

Non Promise copies of books like this even in very high grade would have trouble even finding new owners in the $100-150 range on a normal basis. Probably the reason they sold at all was the “Promise”.

Exactly why the census count on so many of these later non mainstream titles and non-super heroes books were so low that it was easy for Heritage to make their over hyped Promise that 75% of the collection would turn out to be the highest graded copy in existence. (thumbsu

Especially if collectors even had equally HG copies in their own collection, they wouldn't have bother to get their own copies graded in the first place thinking it was not a worthwhile process to go through.  hm  (shrug)

On 3/28/2023 at 7:32 AM, buttock said:

I targeted only a select few, and couldn't be happier with my choices.  If I tried to sell them now, who knows what would happen, but I didn't buy them for an investment, I bought them as a collector.  

EXACTLY!!!  :applause:

On 3/28/2023 at 7:35 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

The Promise collection is a fine and worthy collection. It’s the way it was overhyped that has drawn so much derision here on the boards. And rightfully so. But those crypto guys were never coming back anyway, so the fact they are now finding out how poor their comic investments are is of little importance. That money was gone from our beloved hobby anyway. Yes, I know there’s an iceberg directly in my path ahead, but none of this has stopped me from enjoying this book. I’ve never seen a book of this age with such a perfectly white back cover, and flaws and all, I still love the front cover too. :sumo:

maybe I should start a support group for us Promise book owners. Or at least maybe a 12 step program. . . 

764DC1A0-4304-4F7C-A61B-4B779C5E3AEB.jpeg

7CD9A567-D79D-4F3F-A533-2CCE5DC05040.jpeg

That's an absolutely gorgeous book; it really does look the grade. :cloud9: 

You've pretty much covered the reasons why the Promise Collection has been viewed with skepticism.  I'll flesh out my viewpoint a bit (two cents worth of bit-coin).

Making no judgment about the pedigree's importance or the heartwarming story behind "promises" made between brothers, I think most of the criticism comes down to an uneasy feeling of skepticism about some of the extremely high grades and some books given higher grades than they appear to deserve. This isn't an assessment of CGC's grading practices now or in the past, just an observation about perceptions. 

While it's certainly true that the "tales from the crypto guys" spending bitcoin in a volatile market may have to some greater or lesser degreee driven prices and subsequent loses of value, everything else about the current investment climate comes down to perception and trust. Promise books have gotten a bit of a bad rap because of the overall perception of lax grading. Since grades are opinions, one perceived "better" grade may not hold the same merit as earlier opinions to the eye of the collector. But the grade, once decreed, is what it is. And that's where the money ...or bitcoin... is spent. The real market conundrum may be how lower graded "non-Promise" comparable(s) perform in the marketplace, especially other pedigrees.

The old "buy the book, not the grade" adage was never more true, but the very nature of being a high grade collector is compulsion, often swayed by the grade box and bragging rights. Undoubtably this has come back to bite a few folks. Nothing creates uneasiness quicker in collectors than the sense they've been playing musical chairs while listening to the wrong piper's tune.

Hopefully this bit of analysis adds something to the discussion. :cheers:

On 3/29/2023 at 12:09 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:
On 3/28/2023 at 11:31 PM, Robot Man said:

Daisy Mae was a hottie!

Truly, she was

She was actually drawn a bit plain in the early years.  It wasn't until later that she was drawn in a more Jane Russell-esque style.

Edited by tth2

On 3/29/2023 at 5:40 AM, Robot Man said:
On 3/29/2023 at 5:36 AM, tth2 said:

She was actually drawn a bit plain in the early years.  It wasn't until later that she was drawn in a more Jane Russell-esque style.

Didn’t Frazetta take a roll in the hay with her later? 

Yes, Frazetta was a ghost artist on the strip from 1954-61, and significantly amped up the va-voom factor in the drawings of female characters, particularly Moonbeam McSwine.

On 3/28/2023 at 8:58 PM, tth2 said:

Yes, Frazetta was a ghost artist on the strip from 1954-61, and significantly amped up the va-voom factor in the drawings of female characters, particularly Moonbeam McSwine.

The actress playing Moonbeam in that clip was something else.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:08 AM, comicnoir said:
On 3/29/2023 at 8:58 AM, tth2 said:

The actress playing Moonbeam in that clip was something else

Indeed she was.

Daisy Mae wasn't too bad in the movie either.  

I wonder if a movie could get away these days with a song about a girl being over the hill because she's almost 18 year old.

On 3/29/2023 at 7:53 AM, tth2 said:

Indeed she was.

Daisy Mae wasn't too bad in the movie either.  

I wonder if a movie could get away these days with a song about a girl being over the hill because she's almost 18 year old.

She needs help, poor girl

On 3/29/2023 at 8:53 AM, tth2 said:

Even at the time, it only worked as satire on the marriage age in hillbilly country. 

Long ago, I had a co-worker from Arkansas.  His parents married at 16 &17, his wife's at 15 & 16.

On 3/30/2023 at 12:46 AM, adamstrange said:

Long ago, I had a co-worker from Arkansas.  His parents married at 16 &17, his wife's at 15 & 16.

I had a soldier from Texas whose kids came to the barracks and I was shocked because they were in high school and he didn't seem that old at all.  I found out that he got his girlfriend pregnant when he was 12 and she was 13, and they got married shortly thereafter. 

On 3/29/2023 at 4:28 PM, tth2 said:

I had a soldier from Texas whose kids came to the barracks and I was shocked because they were in high school and he didn't seem that old at all.  I found out that he got his girlfriend pregnant when he was 12 and she was 13, and they got married shortly thereafter. 

^^ That beats my story.  :eek:

Edited by adamstrange

On 3/30/2023 at 5:02 AM, adamstrange said:
On 3/30/2023 at 4:28 AM, tth2 said:

The amazing thing is that they were still married 15-odd years later and it appeared to be a pretty solid marriage.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:21 PM, tth2 said:
On 3/29/2023 at 5:02 PM, adamstrange said:
On 3/29/2023 at 4:28 PM, tth2 said:

The amazing thing is that they were still married 15-odd years later and it appeared to be a pretty solid marriage.

As was the case with my co-worker's parents & in-laws.

On 3/29/2023 at 10:21 PM, tth2 said:

And then of course there's always Loretta Lynn being a grandmother by the time she was 30. 

Exactly, proving that, with patience, things will work out before you're an old maid. (: