• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 3/31/2023 at 7:22 AM, tth2 said:

I think the Promise winners received certificates from Heritage promising them (no pun intended) a 10% net fee if they resold on Heritage.

Even with this discount, when you take into account a 10% auction house fee, the average economic loss is 30% in less than two years.  Ouch.

On 3/31/2023 at 11:30 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

I'd still call it high. Talk to some teenagers and ask them if they are familiar with Mighty Mouse. I grew up with Mighty Mouse—I had a "Mighty Mouse saves Dinky Duck" record that I used to listen to—but that character is no longer important. Pop-culture status is inexorably ephemeral.

its a 9.6 of a tough first appearance... if it was an 8.0 I'd agree.    9.6 is 450k for Riddler grade.

Edited by Bronty

On 3/31/2023 at 1:31 PM, Bronty said:

its a 9.6 of a tough first appearance... if it was an 8.0 I'd agree.    9.6 is 450k for Riddler grade.

Except for the fact that the 9.6 Riddler has been confirmed to be no longer $450K worthy as the buyer/consignor must have found out yesterday, although I rather suspect they probably knew right after hitting that $456K bid button back in 2021.  doh!

On 3/31/2023 at 7:25 AM, tth2 said:
On 3/31/2023 at 4:20 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Well done, Masterchief. Some of those price drop-offs are stunning 

That is some seriously horrific reading.  :eek:

Since the hope for successful flipping of comic books in today's certified marketplace is really highly dependent on the successful playing of the CPR game, the column that I find most interesting is the "New Grade" column.  Especially in the fact that out of 116 Promise retreads to date so far, there have been very few attempts to play this game with the Promise books save for Ritter, as we have just seen two successful upgrades along with the one failed downgrade.  hm

What I find ironic and rather funny though is that the one single downgrade (i.e. Detective 39 going from CGC 4.5 down to CGC 4.0) is also the book with by far the highest percentage gain at a whopping positive 81% when it jumped from its initial sale price of $4,320 back in September of 2021 to its second round sale price of $7,800 on March 1 of 2023.  :whatthe:  (:

On 3/31/2023 at 3:00 PM, szav said:

That one benefited from the very bold and apparently convincing “it looks better with the cover detached” ad campaign.

Well, it should then be clear that Ritter's words has a much higher level of integrity in the marketplace as compared to CGC's grading.  lol

On 3/31/2023 at 6:53 PM, The Black Hand ® said:

How did a cut that bad slip buy?

Are the Promise books now stigmatized with people in the know if not the general buying public? 

That one isn't a Promise book, but this one is.

I don't know if stigmatized is the right word, but they're not commanding the multiples that they were before. They're still selling for strong prices relative to the grades, so most buyers either don't have much awareness of the soft grading on many of the books or they can live with the soft grading in order to own pedigree books with nice cover inks.

Planet 63.JPG

Anybody see the Blue Beetle 44 7.0 that sold for $1,000. On the bay this week? I think it is the first Promise book I have noticed there. I have no idea what it originally sold for. I wouldn’t have paid $1K for it Promise or not. Just interesting to see them being retreaded. 

On 4/6/2023 at 4:47 AM, Robot Man said:

Anybody see the Blue Beetle 44 7.0 that sold for $1,000. On the bay this week? I think it is the first Promise book I have noticed there. I have no idea what it originally sold for. I wouldn’t have paid $1K for it Promise or not. Just interesting to see them being retreaded. 

That eBay book is a counterfeit. It's not the Promise copy.

Just a cursory comparison of the two covers is a dead giveaway. :smirk:

eBay: Blue beetle #44 CGC 7.0 from the Promise collection! Rare Find!!!

Heritage Auction  #122213: Blue Beetle #44 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fox Features Syndicate, 1946) Condition: VG+

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F7%2F4%2F6%2F25746624%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5Dhttps://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/aMYAAOSwQeJj0XTk/s-l1600.png

Edited by MasterChief
links added

On 4/6/2023 at 12:23 PM, MasterChief said:

Heritage Auction  #122213: Blue Beetle #44 The Promise Collection Pedigree (Fox Features Syndicate, 1946) Condition: VG+

lf?set=path%5B2%2F5%2F7%2F4%2F6%2F25746624%5D&call=url%5Bfile%3Aproduct.chain%5Dhttps://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/aMYAAOSwQeJj0XTk/s-l1600.png

Absolutely not the same

On 4/6/2023 at 10:23 AM, MasterChief said:

Lordy! That suks! Getting to the point where you have to be VERY careful in one’s purchases…

On 4/6/2023 at 11:23 AM, MasterChief said:

@CGC Mike@mnelsonCGC