• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Post your Promise Collection wins!
17 17

1,535 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2023 at 1:46 AM, mlansdown said:

I like them!  Just added this one to my collection a few months ago:

Lone Ranger 24 CGC 9.4 OW-W.jpg

Beautiful book!  I started collecting Lone Rangers because they had some of the best covers I'd seen, and were amazingly cheap thanks to the Western Discount.

On 11/21/2023 at 8:50 AM, Robot Man said:

I would add in Tomahawk and Straight Arrow. Fred Meagher’s art on the latter is superb. 

All American Western with Toth.  Later Western Comics with Kane covers, Infantino interiors.  Prize Western with Severin/Elder covers.  Tons of gems in the Atlas line from Heath, Maneeley, etc.  Lotsa great stuff out there.  @Steppenwolfscomics has been posting some really great westerns lately.  

On 11/22/2023 at 10:29 PM, MasterChief said:

Yup...I’m still tracking Promise resales. Update should be out after the holiday. That said, asset liquidation has been mixed from a genre perspective over the last two months. Overall, sales continue in the downward trend. Remarkably, the time horizon on holding Promises has been relatively short so far. Take for example the Detective #146 mentioned. That book has resold twice since initial offering. Perhaps it has now reached a realistic FMV...

DC-146_ROI_231122_1x1.gif.2e123564606496ff1b5d986980466e75.gifDC-146_ROI_231122_1x2.gif.ea490c5a1354c15070628a5d65435052.gif

Really looking forward to this! Your analysis provides the most accurate assessment of the Promise Collection sales history, but also which titles have been least and most affected by market fluctuations.

MasterChief, we may have to wait awhile longer till your promotion gets through Congress, but you've earned our DOW Jones command!  :cheers:

On 11/30/2023 at 9:05 AM, tth2 said:

Based on results of a just-completed auction, resellers of Promise books on Comiclink aren't having any better success than those reselling on Heritage. 

Maybe Heritage felt a twinge of guilt and that’s why they gave us certificates waiving sellers commissions when we go to resell them. 

otherwise, we are just getting posterized when we decide it’s time to let go

image.gif.4e644805480c7d2a42af6271fabf20eb.gif

On 11/30/2023 at 12:40 PM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

Maybe Heritage felt a twinge of guilt and that’s why they gave us certificates waiving sellers commissions when we go to resell them. 

otherwise, we are just getting posterized when we decide it’s time to let go

image.gif.4e644805480c7d2a42af6271fabf20eb.gif

They don't much care if you get posterized, and neither does comiclink.   The resale certificate is just a way to encourage re-consignments of valuable books so they make their cut again on the next guy, and why shouldn't they?   If a house is going to handle the resale, why not them?

The whole Make an Offer platform is built around a similar idea.    Buyer 1 has material Buyer 2 now wants.    Drop the HA fees to 10% and use your website to facilitate the re-sale of a valuable book.

The Promise CGC 9.4 Action #136 in the current Heritage Signature Auction was previously sold as a CGC 9.2 in the April 2022 Signature Auction, so Promise books do get upgraded occasionally.  It sold for $3,120 previously, so it'll be interesting to see if it still loses money this time around despite the upgrade.