• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

September HA Auction Looking interesting
1 1

401 posts in this topic

Yeah that’s an interesting one to try to handicap.   I could see an argument for it doing well (memorable speech) and an argument for it doing not so well (talking heads, only two characters, more serious than funny, etc).  In the end I’d guess it will do slightly better than an average Sunday due to the Christmas theme, but I see your point.   Could go either way.

Edited by Bronty

On 8/6/2021 at 7:24 AM, Bronty said:

Yeah that’s an interesting one to try to handicap.   I could see an argument for it doing well (memorable speech) and an argument for it doing not so well (talking heads, only two characters, more serious than funny, etc).  In the end I’d guess it will do slightly better than an average Sunday due to the Christmas theme, but I see your point.   Could go either way.

If it looks like it is going on the low side, it will definitely be hanging on my wall. I don’t have high hopes of needing to make room for it. :sorry:

On 8/6/2021 at 10:09 AM, batman_fan said:

If it looks like it is going on the low side, it will definitely be hanging on my wall. I don’t have high hopes of needing to make room for it. :sorry:

Yeah, maybe you’re right.   The dialogue alone may produce a good result.

On 8/6/2021 at 8:14 AM, Bronty said:

I am thinking it doesn’t break $100k but does it hit $80k?  Maybe.  If it is only in the $40k range, that would be a low value IMHO

On 8/6/2021 at 10:14 AM, Bronty said:

This one of those relatively rare cases where the dialog, IMO, is more important that the art.

Right now, I’m debating which of two different pieces to go for (different art) where the art is similar and by the same artist, but the slightly better art has worse dialog. I’m leaning in favor of the better dialog.

Although its not OA, I think this lot in the Sept HA auction containing Steve Ditko correspondence is pretty nifty:

Steve Ditko Correspondence Group of approximately 150 | LotID #30001 | Heritage Auctions (ha.com)

Steve Ditko Correspondence Group of approximately 150 (1973-2017). When young fan artist Russ Maheras decided to write a letter to Steve Ditko seeking advice on drawing comics in the spring of 1973, how could he have imagined that it would lead to a series of correspondence between him and the legendary creator that spanned over four decades. Private, mysterious, trailblazer, are just a few words used to describe prolific comic book legend Steve Ditko, creator or co-creator of such characters as Spider-Man, Doctor Strange, The Question, The Creeper, and Hawk and Dove.
It is widely known that Ditko refused to give interviews or make public appearances. Despite creating such a wide host of beloved and admired characters, he chose to remain out of the spotlight. Each of the letters and postcards in the collection is signed, and most come with their original post-marked envelopes. His autograph was extremely difficult to obtain due to his reclusive nature and his abhorrence of comic-book conventions. To this day, Steve Ditko remains an enigma to many of his legion of fans. This treasure trove of correspondence presents a once-in-a-lifetime opportunity to dig deep into the psyche of a true comic-book genius.
This collection contains handwritten letters varying in length from 1 page to 16 pages, and they provide tips for a budding artist as well as an insight into the mind of the enigmatic creator, offering his opinions and views regarding, science, current events, literature, philosophy, art, politics, theology, and of course, superheroes. Topics discussed in this correspondence include: inking; penciling; comic art techniques; Stan Lee; Jack Kirby; Frank Frazetta; Will Eisner; Reed Crandall; Milt Caniff; Burne Hogarth; Wally Wood; Alex Toth; Gene Simmons and KISS; Marvel; Charlton; DC; EC; Superman; Batman; the Joker; Dr. Octopus; the first and second Spider-Man films; Peter Parker; Uncle Ben; Mary Jane; Green Goblin; Wonder Woman; the Creeper; the Question; Captain Atom; Blue Beetle; Green Arrow and Speedy; Anti-heroes; Prince Valiant, and many more.
Heritage is proud to present these handwritten letters to you. If you are a scholar of Ditko, or simply a fan, there is no question that these letters would be a treasured addition to any collection. They average Very Good condition.

On 8/7/2021 at 7:24 PM, G.A.tor said:

While dialog is cool and can enhance a piece, for me, original art is always about the art. If I had to choose , art over dialog every time.  But that’s me 

We do have different views. To me, the art is supposed to complement the story and move it along with the dialog—more of a holistic approach. That’s a primary difference with”fine art”, which is basically a one panel story. 

On 8/7/2021 at 10:43 PM, Rick2you2 said:

We do have different views. To me, the art is supposed to complement the story and move it along with the dialog—more of a holistic approach. That’s a primary difference with”fine art”, which is basically a one panel story. 

And yet if you ask most people what page they’d want from their favorite comic it would be the cover - the one page that doesn’t tell a word of story. 

On 8/7/2021 at 8:27 PM, Bronty said:

And yet if you ask most people what page they’d want from their favorite comic it would be the cover - the one page that doesn’t tell a word of story. 

Depends on the comic and cover.  Some comics had stories I loved with moments I remembered but the covers were not appealing to me, featured the villain or the hero just in shadow, etc.  and so I would want the cover only because I know people put more value on it and I could use the proceeds from selling it to get pages within.  I would also prefer to have a really great unused version of a cover if it was in some way more cool than the published version.  And there are prelims I've seen to ultra classic covers which I would much prefer aesthetically over the published versions of lesser images on covers from the same title and vintage.       

Edited by bluechip

On 8/7/2021 at 10:43 PM, Rick2you2 said:

The story. Yes. But a single page of OA I’m focused on the art over dialog …but no wrong way I’m guessing. 

On 8/7/2021 at 11:27 PM, Bronty said:

Which is why I think it should be treated more like commercial advertising art then sequential art. Instead of telling a story, it is designed to sell the reader on buying the magazine.