• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

September HA Auction Looking interesting
1 1

401 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2021 at 5:32 AM, G.A.tor said:

The story. Yes. But a single page of OA I’m focused on the art over dialog …but no wrong way I’m guessing. 

I don't want to put too fine an edge on the point I was making, but I can give two examples. There are two pages I am interested in buying, both by the same artist. Both of them also have artistic weaknesses. In terms of composition, panel layout and detailing, one has higher high points, but lower lows. The other is moderately successful at all artistic elements, but nothing I would consider excellent. The second piece, however, has stronger dialog, hitting home on a character point I like. So, assuming prices are roughly equal, I wll probably get the second one.

There have also been rare occasions when dialog alone wins out. The following piece is perfectly nice from an artistic view, but it was the cheesy dialog that sold me.

1934877443_youngromance179p1splash1972300.thumb.jpg.da3df44a7b4f1465f92cc98d3f29a61a.jpg

On 8/11/2021 at 6:41 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I don't want to put too fine an edge on the point I was making, but I can give two examples. There are two pages I am interested in buying, both by the same artist. Both of them also have artistic weaknesses. In terms of composition, panel layout and detailing, one has higher high points, but lower lows. The other is moderately successful at all artistic elements, but nothing I would consider excellent. The second piece, however, has stronger dialog, hitting home on a character point I like. So, assuming prices are roughly equal, I wll probably get the second one.

There have also been rare occasions when dialog alone wins out. The following piece is perfectly nice from an artistic view, but it was the cheesy dialog that sold me.

1934877443_youngromance179p1splash1972300.thumb.jpg.da3df44a7b4f1465f92cc98d3f29a61a.jpg

As mentioned to each self be true. If I want to read dialogue, I read the comic. For me, oa is solely about the art. If it’s weak or doesn’t appeal to me, I pass. I only collect surfer oa and have passed on many pieces because the art didn’t appeal. I’ve never considered dialog a single time, but that’s me 👍

On 8/11/2021 at 10:58 AM, batman_fan said:
On 8/11/2021 at 8:47 AM, tth2 said:

I would love to have gotten him to sign an 80s Peanuts strip featuring Peppermint Pattie, Marcie and Spike.

Talk about grails! 

now that would be funny, at least no one could claim his signature ruined the strip

I wonder if there's actually a strip that features all 3 of them together? 

If it exists, I would love to own it, actually.  How cool would it be to own the moment when one of the greatest comic strips in history reached its absolute nadir?

On 8/11/2021 at 7:56 AM, tth2 said:

If it exists, I would love to own it, actually.  How cool would it be to own the moment when one of the greatest comic strips in history reached its absolute nadir?

I actually don’t know if one exist.  For hatred my order would be

Peppermint Patty < Marcy < Spike

Spike really stunk.  I like just about everything from the 1950s to about 1970.  After 1970, they are more hit or miss.

On 8/11/2021 at 9:56 AM, tth2 said:

It sounds cool to own a terrible peanuts or one signed by Stan Lee, but you know what’s better?

Any other example 😂 

On 8/11/2021 at 10:02 AM, batman_fan said:

Spike really stunk.  I like just about everything from the 1950s to about 1970.  After 1970, they are more hit or miss.

you are correct of course about the 1970s being of declining quality. I was born in 1966 and I can tell you that the build up to Spike was huge in my world. His first appearance is maybe his high point? reading the paperbacks as a kid was how I was exposed to older material, I remember there being a stack at my school and going through them all!!! It was the local small town library that had them. 

Edited by Bird

On 8/11/2021 at 1:58 PM, hmendryk said:

For me the art is the most important, but sometimes dialog can make the art special.

av6p20.jpg

Plus one.  As a medium , comics are a mix of image and dialogue. While I would never buy OA “just” for the dialogue, some nice , meaningful words or thoughts balloons are definitely a plus, artistic content being equal . 

On 8/11/2021 at 10:02 AM, batman_fan said:

Your equation can't be complete without "adding" Rerun...

On 8/13/2021 at 11:37 AM, pemart1966 said:

Your equation can't be complete without "adding" Rerun...

Rerun didn't appear enough for me to develop too much hatred for him (in fact, I barely remember him at all).

On 8/17/2021 at 9:58 PM, Bill C said:

But let's be honest, if the dreaded double punch was allowed in boxing, every boxing match would be the same- the bell rings, both fighters charge the other with the double punch, and the first to land it wins. Every match would be over withing the first 10 seconds of the first round, it would be like if there was plaster of paris in the gloves. It would destroy the very sport.

The milk came out of my nose on this one! :roflmao:

On 8/17/2021 at 8:15 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

679 OA lots in what may very well be a record setting auction for $ sales.

I think this Mike Golden beauty is a recent addition to the auction…

Original Comic Art:Covers, Michael Golden What If? #...

Well that jumped from one CAF to another and up to HA right quick. Belongs in the flip thread ;)