• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

September HA Auction Looking interesting
1 1

401 posts in this topic

On 8/19/2021 at 1:11 PM, batman_fan said:

As well as early and mid life lol

In case you cant tell, not a Picasso fan

I get it, but it took balls to paint like that in 1908.   And if you look at his childhood works, he could already paint realistically, so its not like this was a crutch for him.   

Let's say you're born circa 1890 and you want to be a painter.    The entire history of your profession has been to try to imitate life as closely as possible, and the purpose, the entire reason for being of your industry is being made redundant in front of your eyes by the recently invented and continuosly improved "camera."     What's the point in painting realistically anymore?    You're not going to be able to beat, with a day's work, what the machine can do in a minute.     You've got to find relevance some other way... that whole period, whether you like a particular artist or not, is the most important few decades in art history bar none because its a seismic shift in the entire nature of what art is.     Everything in the past 125 years flows from those moments that Picasso was a part of.    Some of that is really good, and some of that is really bad, but he was Johnny on the Spot like Kirty and Ditko in Manhattan in 1961.

Edited by Bronty

On 8/19/2021 at 12:40 PM, Bronty said:

I get it, but it took balls to paint like that in 1908.   And if you look at his childhood works, he could already paint realistically, so its not like this was a crutch for him.   

Let's say you're born circa 1890 and you want to be a painter.    The entire history of your profession has been to try to imitate life as closely as possible, and the purpose, the entire reason for being of your industry is being made redundant in front of your eyes by the recently invented and continuosly improved "camera."     What's the point in painting realistically anymore?    You're not going to be able to beat, with a day's work, what the machine can do in a minute.     You've got to find relevance some other way... that whole period, whether you like a particular artist or not, is the most important few decades in art history bar none because its a seismic shift in the entire nature of what art is.     Everything in the past 125 years flows from those moments that Picasso was a part of.    Some of that is really good, and some of that is really bad, but he was Johnny on the Spot like Kirty and Ditko in Manhattan in 1961.

Yeah, still don’t like his stuff

On 8/19/2021 at 2:40 PM, Bronty said:

I like Ditko, but who is this Kirty fella you speak of?  😂

On 8/19/2021 at 2:43 PM, batman_fan said:

Yeah, still don’t like his stuff

Not asking you to!   Some people don't like Kirby or Ditko either!   

The point I'm making is that even if one doesn't like the aesthetics of his work, the huge influence it had on others one may appreciate more is inescapable.    (Even if you don't like the preacher, you almost certainly like one of his many disciples).

Edited by Bronty

On 8/19/2021 at 12:47 PM, Bronty said:

Not asking you to!   Some people don't like Kirby or Ditko either!   

The point I'm making is that even if one doesn't like the aesthetics of his work, the huge influence it had on others one may appreciate more is inescapable.    (Even if you don't like the preacher, you almost certainly like one of his many disciples).

hm Schulz does exhibit some attribute similar to Picasso 

On 8/20/2021 at 7:15 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Kirby FF cover already at $250K

This one is going to be interesting to watch.  I have no idea where it ends up but $500k - wouldn’t surprise me at all.  $1,000,000?  That would surprise me.  I am going to go between $400k and $500k all in (except sales tax).

On 8/20/2021 at 10:43 AM, batman_fan said:

This one is going to be interesting to watch.  I have no idea where it ends up but $500k - wouldn’t surprise me at all.  $1,000,000?  That would surprise me.  I am going to go between $400k and $500k all in (except sales tax).

.I don't even consider that when folks are bidding at this level cuz likely no one is paying it (sales tax) at these significant levels

Edited by G.A.tor

On 8/20/2021 at 11:13 AM, G.A.tor said:

.I don't even consider that when folks are bidding at this level cuz likely no one is paying it at these signficant levels

I would submit that sales tax is non-negotiable.  Buyer's premium on the other hand...

On 8/20/2021 at 11:20 AM, pemart1966 said:

I would submit that sales tax is non-negotiable.  Buyer's premium on the other hand...

didn't say it was negotiable, said no one buying at those levels is  paying it...there are a myriad of "legal" ways around it that most buyers like that employ

On 8/20/2021 at 12:37 PM, Rick2you2 said:

Resale certificates, for example?

On 8/20/2021 at 1:00 PM, G.A.tor said:

exactly...that's a common one

It's a dodge, but not a permanent one I think. I'm only familiar with Massachusetts, where I had one and where I was expected to "resell" (and collect that same sales tax from my customer) OR pay it back myself when I filed my annual MA tax return. I'd expect that most other states have similar rules, you can pass the buck temprorarily but not completely. Now do people cheat on their taxes? Oh yeah, all day long, just pointing out that resale certificates aren't a blank check exemption. At least not in MA. And yeah, I don't live there anymore...too much paperwork...Live Free or Die ;) 

On 8/20/2021 at 1:45 PM, vodou said:

It's a dodge, but not a permanent one I think. I'm only familiar with Massachusetts, where I had one and where I was expected to "resell" (and collect that same sales tax from my customer) OR pay it back myself when I filed my annual MA tax return. I'd expect that most other states have similar rules, you can pass the buck temprorarily but not completely. Now do people cheat on their taxes? Oh yeah, all day long, just pointing out that resale certificates aren't a blank check exemption. At least not in MA. And yeah, I don't live there anymore...too much paperwork...Live Free or Die ;) 

guess my point was that many buyers for these huge $ pieces are already resellers that have resale certs...and unlike heritage and such, are typically only required to collect sales tax for their state....yes, a buyer of such piece for personal use, is supposed to report to their home state and pay that tax, but I'm guessing most don't...so it's not necessarily a dodge, but a perfectly legal and legit way to procure.... most states also allow proxy bidding etc...so, the point is there are many ways around paying heritage the tax, wasn't meant to imply the final buyer wouldn't (or shouldn't) pay tax (thumbsu

On 8/20/2021 at 1:53 PM, G.A.tor said:

but I'm guessing most don't

So that's a tax cheat.

but a perfectly legal and legit way to procure

Um...no. See directly above lol 

wasn't meant to imply the final buyer wouldn't (or shouldn't) pay tax 

Phew. Nice save!