• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

September HA Auction Looking interesting
1 1

401 posts in this topic

On 8/8/2021 at 9:31 AM, batman_fan said:

If you want to be 1000% certain you walk away with it.

Are you secretly saying I should budget $1000???? For a piece of paper with some pencil scratch on it??? Absurd, I tell ya…absurd lol

On 8/8/2021 at 11:03 AM, ThothAmon said:

If this page of original art exists it would be exhibit A for me why we shouldn’t deal in absolutes. 

27DF5B49-A36D-444A-B977-58C4EF32FA1A.png

Still with the art 👍

On 8/8/2021 at 5:52 AM, Rick2you2 said:

Which is why I think it should be treated more like commercial advertising art then sequential art. Instead of telling a story, it is designed to sell the reader on buying the magazine.

JJJ:

Commercial art serves a purpose, usually to attract attention to a product. People didn’t buy Playboy for the articles, they bought it for the photo’s of semi- or fully naked women, That’s what the covers would show, even if they had great articles by famous writers inside. Comic covers serve the same purpose, even if the covers are beautiful. They are also easier to find beautiful because they have that focus—draw attention. Sequential art is the product, so when I buy a page, I have to consider whether it is doing its job and telling the story. Thankfully, professionals writing for major publishers fully get that. It is collectors who sometimes forget. 

On 8/8/2021 at 1:52 PM, Rick2you2 said:

JJJ:

Commercial art serves a purpose, usually to attract attention to a product. People didn’t buy Playboy for the articles, they bought it for the photo’s of semi- or fully naked women, That’s what the covers would show, even if they had great articles by famous writers inside. Comic covers serve the same purpose, even if the covers are beautiful. They are also easier to find beautiful because they have that focus—draw attention. Sequential art is the product, so when I buy a page, I have to consider whether it is doing its job and telling the story. Thankfully, professionals writing for major publishers fully get that. It is collectors who sometimes forget. 

I disagree with you, and I have no interest in an exasperating back-and-forth with you.

On 8/8/2021 at 10:03 AM, ThothAmon said:

If this page of original art exists it would be exhibit A for me why we shouldn’t deal in absolutes. 

27DF5B49-A36D-444A-B977-58C4EF32FA1A.png

The art exists and can be seen by appointment at the Library of Congress in Washington D.C.

Ron

There’s certainly no wrong way to collect, but there certainly is a wrong way to value pieces.    Almost always the market is in line with gator’s thinking.    This peanuts might be an exception; we’ll see.  

There is precisely zero chance the chance that a significant number of people would prefer that AF15 page over the cover though, and precisely zero chance that the AF15 cover wouldn’t be the most valuable piece of Bristol board in the hobby if it existed.  

I guess it could be more valuable if the phantom stranger was on it ;) but ignoring that poor editorial decision it’s still a slam dunk #1. 

Edited by Bronty

On 8/10/2021 at 7:40 AM, Bronty said:

I guess it could be more valuable if the phantom stranger was on it ;) but ignoring that poor editorial decision it’s still a slam dunk #1. 

I love a good cross-over. He also shows up as part of an illegal (copyright infringement) crossover in Uncanny X-men #125, page 16 (panel 5) in the crowd in the Shi'Ar throneroom, and he's in Mystic #15, p.3. The former page is (or was) listed for sale by Los Bros, not sure where the second one is.

On 7/2/2021 at 3:00 PM, artdealer said:

What would this Kirby FF cover be worth?

First appearance of HIM (Warlock).

I owned it in the late 70s. Haven’t seen it since. 

94FA7693-1666-4629-B2F8-84EB490A6714.jpeg

"I owned it in the late 70s. Haven’t seen it since. "  

Cool story.  

What do you remember about the art?  Were there any stats/pasteups?

Anyone know, what Kirby FF covers are known to exist 1-100 + Annuals?

On 8/10/2021 at 9:20 AM, pemart1966 said:

"I owned it in the late 70s. Haven’t seen it since. "  

Cool story.  

What do you remember about the art?  Were there any stats/pasteups?

Anyone know, what Kirby FF covers are known to exist 1-100 + Annuals?

No stats on the art. No logo area, pretty much a large square piece of art. 
I think the figures along side the cocoon were flipped on the original. 
oh, and Stan Lee signed the art.