• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Not a perfect movie but I liked it..." - where are these perfect movies?
10 10

263 posts in this topic

4 minutes ago, Buzzetta said:

I am also very partial to Wes Anderson movies (Life Aquatic, Grand Budapest, Rushmore, Moonrise Kingdom) but I know that is not everyone's cup of tea and might be my inner hipster breaking free.   They are not perfect movies though... but... damn good. 

I just added Life Aquatic to my VUDU collection two weeks ago and rewatched it. What a fun and nutty story and cast of characters. Bill Murray is movie magic on steroids.

And I agree with the others. Also own Grand Budapest (cracks me up every time I see it) and Moonrise Kingdom (childhood crushes mixed into an adventure story). :applause:

The Royal Tenenbaums, though celebrated, doesn't sit as well with me. There's an over-clumsiness to the storytelling that drags out the twists and turns a little too much.

Good question on the perfect movie -- and I like many of the titles offered up here already. (thumbsu

My initial thoughts are that 'Shawshank Redemption' would fit in that category for me.  Also 'Unforgiven' and 'Shakespeare in Love' (I'm an English teacher)...'Alien' and 'The Princess Bride' as well.  'Empire Strikes Back' for my 12-year-old self, of course, and maybe 'The Incredibles' and 'Toy Story 2' in the animated realm.  For a screwball comedy, 'Dodgeball' is pretty much perfect to me.  I'm sure there are others...

Dan

5 hours ago, Buzzetta said:

I am also very partial to Wes Anderson movies (Life Aquatic, Grand Budapest, Rushmore, Moonrise Kingdom)

Royal Tennenbaums is missing from your list

And if you like these, you would like The Squid and the Whale

6 minutes ago, jsilverjanet said:

Royal Tennenbaums is missing from your list

And if you like these, you would like The Squid and the Whale

I liked the Squid and the Whale - royal tennenbaums didn’t do much for me.  I started to really appreciate Wes Anderson’s upon seeing the life aquatic 

15 minutes ago, HotKey said:

For pure spoof comedy, Monty Python's Life of Brian is nearly perfect and was wayyy ahead of its time on some social commentary. It still has me rolling every time I watch it.

Bring out your dead!

tumblr_mqh596sc8a1swumkto1_400.gif.1eade78161ad0264dddfe5389ed379fd.gif

5 minutes ago, Rip said:

Adding some not mentioned:

Psycho

Rear Window

The Thing

Braveheart

Halloween

Its a Great Pumpkin Charlie Brown

Some Like it Hot

Roman Holiday

I have watched these repeatedly :applause:

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I would go on and on, but I did that already in this thread

Yup fun times!still watching from that list movies and tv series ive missed in the past thanks for your contribution (thumbsu

1 hour ago, Bird said:

I would go on and on, but I did that already in this thread

8 minutes ago, Namtak said:

Yup fun times!still watching from that list movies and tv series ive missed in the past thanks for your contribution (thumbsu

'watch at least once' versus 'perfect movie' definitely can have a different focus. It is interesting to read which films reach that bar.

Interesting,i dont necessarely seek to find the perfect movie just those that i enjoy but there are many gems in filmaking ill contribute with 2 of my all time favorite straight from japan. Sanjuro and sword of the stranger.ive seen them too many times and it wont be the last lol

61+2M4TMBaL._AC_SY580_.jpg

p183685_v_v10_aa.jpg

25 minutes ago, Bosco685 said:

'watch at least once' versus 'perfect movie' definitely can have a different focus. It is interesting to read which films reach that bar.

sure, but my contributions were towards the "perfect" movie more often than not and anything I would offer here I almost certainly offered there

just like @Namtak I continue to view that other thread and watch some of the choices

as to perfect...I agree with Shawshank and Close Encounters but as much as I love both Life of Brian and Holy Grail they sag at times (and not on purpose). I enjoy the Wes Anderson movies but don't think they reach perfect, darn good though. Life Aquatic is my favorite of those I guess.

I love Contact and would offer it here. So good and thoughtful.

Anyone say Citizen Kane? It is durn good.

The Searchers. Holy smokes, is he really gonna kill her?!?