• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

"Not a perfect movie but I liked it..." - where are these perfect movies?
10 10

263 posts in this topic

I say IT’S A WONDERFUL LIFE is the all-time perfect American film. It’s so perfect that it’s one of a handful of classic movies that millions of Americans still gather round each year to watch. George Bailey is the perfect American hero in a story that never lets up. He’s a big dreamer stuck in the dregs of a small town filled with folks content with the small life. And even though real life keeps him from living what he considers to be a full life, his character still lives life to the fullest at every moment even if he doesn’t realize it, and not just because he keeps putting others before himself. Whether he’s shakily doing the Charleston in a school gym, waltzing in the pool beneath it, courting Mary with the song Buffalo Gals instead of just kissing her, or saving the Bailey Building and Loan from a bank run, George not only thinks big but he acts on those intuitions. And when he dreams up one last big act, ending his life to save his family’s, the powers above give him a set of wings one better than Clarence the angel’s and two better than his little brother Harry’s aviator wings, wings that take him to the Twilight Zone and back, giving him a pretty unique outlook on life. It’s feel good, tragic, endlessly entertaining, and thought provoking. ITS A WONDERFUL LIFE is the perfect American movie. 

giphy.gif?cid=2154d3d7f6bp8nbk1jaqjijsu2

Edited by @therealsilvermane

On 4/8/2023 at 7:30 PM, littledoom said:

Nice you added a short. Pulp is a big mainstream film. Why isn’t it perfect to you? 

Remember the beginning when Honey Bunny shouts, "Any of you f*****g p***ks MOVE, and I'll execute every last mother f*****g one of you!"?

Later on when the scene is finished out, she shouts, "Any of you f*****g p***ks MOVE, and I'll execute every last one of you mother f*****s!"

It's one of those "once you see it, you can't unsee it" things that always bugged me because it's surrounded by so much awesomeness.

On 4/10/2023 at 6:53 AM, MR SigS said:

Remember the beginning when Honey Bunny shouts, "Any of you f*****g p***ks MOVE, and I'll execute every last mother f*****g one of you!"?

Later on when the scene is finished out, she shouts, "Any of you f*****g p***ks MOVE, and I'll execute every last one of you mother f*****s!"

It's one of those "once you see it, you can't unsee it" things that always bugged me because it's surrounded by so much awesomeness.

Yeah that’s pretty perfect to me. It’s not a traditional movie

Thelma and Louise.

Every element works:

• The laughably misleading trailer
  • Screenplay (that won the Oscar)
  • Actors (Everyone - from Susan Sarandon, Geena Davis, & Harvey Keitel, to Brad Pitt, Michael Madsen and Christopher MacDonald)
  • Directing (Ridley Scott)
  • Cinematography
  • Editing
  • Score (early Hans Zimmer)

I re-watch it every two years or so -- and I've yet to show it to anyone for the first time who didn't end up loving it. 

Most perfect movie for me is, The Adventures of Robin hood 1938, Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone, Olivia de Haviland in Technicolor, what more could you want :makepoint:

Godfather 1 & 2

Forbidden Planet

39 Steps (Hitchcock 1935)

Angels with Dirty Faces

Groundhog Day

LOTR Trilogy

The Maltese Falcon

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

12 Angry Men

I will stop there as it would be a long list for me :) 

On 4/10/2023 at 12:19 PM, Kevin.J said:

Most perfect movie for me is, The Adventures of Robin hood 1938, Errol Flynn, Basil Rathbone, Olivia de Haviland in Technicolor, what more could you want :makepoint:

Godfather 1 & 2

Forbidden Planet

39 Steps (Hitchcock 1935)

Angels with Dirty Faces

Groundhog Day

LOTR Trilogy

The Maltese Falcon

The Good the Bad and the Ugly

12 Angry Men

I will stop there as it would be a long list for me :) 

How about Capricorn One

So many really great "perfect" movies listed here so far. 

A few others that I think are "perfect" - if they've been posted already, well I didn't see them posted, but they are really good in every respect IMO:

Das Boot,

Dunkirk,

The Shining,

Blazing Saddles,

Interstellar,

Schindler's List,

Tombstone,

On 4/10/2023 at 7:47 PM, jcjames said:

So many really great "perfect" movies listed here so far. 

A few others that I think are "perfect" - if they've been posted already, well I didn't see them posted, but they are really good in every respect IMO:

Das Boot,

Dunkirk,

The Shining,

Blazing Saddles,

Interstellar,

Schindler's List,

Tombstone,

I’ve been meaning to watch Das Boot since forever ago. Thank you for the reminder!

Long Kiss Goodnight comes to mind. One-liners, smarmy bad guys getting their come-uppance, killer fight scenes, helpless kid lending a hand when it's most needed, sassy sidekick saving the day, mysterious government shadow group, etc.

It may not be Schindler's List, but it expertly checks every single action movie trope in 90 minutes. Perfect.