• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

349 posts in this topic

On 8/18/2021 at 12:56 PM, Chicago Boy said:

I reached out and they told me Aug 23 :tonofbricks:

who is in charge there? is it Nov or Aug and who by the way is going to consign to them without first goingto Ha, then CC, the CL or even Pedigree?,,,,

On 8/18/2021 at 3:38 PM, Mmehdy said:

who is in charge there? is it Nov or Aug and who by the way is going to consign to them without first goingto Ha, then CC, the CL or even Pedigree?,,,,

You'd have to be a total newbie with no internet access or have a deal upfront to put your comics there right now. 

On 8/18/2021 at 6:15 AM, eschnit said:

So, let me qualify my response.  I’m playing Devil’s Advocate to some degree. I also don’t know you, so you may be doing the same.  And I’m not the expert.  I don’t know what I don’t know.  But no, or not remotely to the same degree in my opinion.   

The situation surrounding the T206 Honus Wagner has been an intriguing story to card collectors in the hobby for generations throughout the hobby, and to some degree pop culture and baseball.  His protesting being on tobacco cards.  There being some minute number, maybe 50-100 ever produced, and much less than that that got out without being destroyed.  There are just enough of the other T206 cards, of say Cobb or Young to create high demand for the Wagner at the time.  Honus Wagner is underrated in the psyche of the average fan today.  He’s top 20 player all-time, maybe closer to top 10.  Baseball got big in the coming years, cards got popular again with Goudey gum in 1933-34.  By then the Wagner card was consequential and worth an astounding $50 at the time. (Gotta wonder how many were known to exist then).

Stars like Ruth and Gehrig had popular Goudey cards in the early 30s, for collectors wanting to look back, the Wagner card was already the stand out, and perhaps even an inspiration to start the hobby.  And of course it changed the hobby, as tobacco cards went by the way side, yielding to what would become a kids pastime.  Mantle rookie comes another 20 years later and you have yourself a full fledged hobby.  Then decades later the mythical Wagner card takes a life of its own with Wayne Gretzky snapping one up.

Compare this to comics.  Action 1 and Tec 27 are the medium changers.  They are the introduction to superheroes.  The biggest superhero at the time, Supes.  The biggest superhero today, albeit him perhaps “dark”, the Batman.  They have been the two biggest forever, and will likely to continue to be.  There are some odd amount out there.  Not enough, but just enough.  I’d have to look it up, but I believe around 100 graded, maybe a couple hundred more raw of each. The Golden Age of comics becomes Golden, in large part to these books.  Yeah, pre-code was awesome.  But what would it have been without these two?  Of course, comics evolve, code comes along, and we have what we have today.  A culture with comics running through it.  And 20-25 years is a long time, a whole generation.  The time from Action 1 to Fantastic Four 1.  Tge culture had a long time between Supes and Bat intro and Marvel.  Caps and Timely were around, but Lee/Kirby taking the hobby to another level wouldn’t come to later (I mean in size and scope, not quality).  

New Fun 2 and New Comics 2 may be rarer, but they didn’t introduce Captain America or Wonder Woman, the Joker, or even say the Destroyer.  There’s no lore, except for hardcore hobbyists.  Nic Cage scooped up Action 1 to Wayne Gretzky’s T206 Wagner, not New Fun 2.  Rarity matters, but demand matters more is my main thought.

When talking about the Wagner we also have to remember even though it was a small production there were also some uncut strips/sheets get out as well. At least one well documented and one that was alleged in the uncut/cut fiasco. 

https://www.forbes.com/sites/davidseideman/2016/09/22/a-heinous-crime-may-be-lifting-a-1-8-million-honus-wagner-card-now-up-for-auction/

Which could mean there are more that were "trimmed" but actually cut from sheets out there as well. There could also still be some other uncut sheets/strips out there. 

On 8/20/2021 at 12:53 PM, DanCooper said:

This is now showing on Goldin's homepage when you scroll across the events listings on the top (no specifics lots listed though yet)

image.thumb.png.87f3e9a8e4f9c93168d308af0e62d510.png

The company was bought out like 4 years ago but some hedge fund guys or some group of business men, and Goldlin got 40M to sell a % to the buy guys according to what I have read. So there is some big $$ behind them. but they are really gonna have to start off impressive to make any kind of splash, especially with the 20% buyer  fee, if they stick to that number on the first auction and they also charge a seller fee....so this should play out very interestingly.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 8/20/2021 at 5:47 PM, Mmehdy said:

The company was bought out like 4 years ago but some hedge fund guys or some group of business men, and Goldlin got 40M to sell a % to the buy guys according to what I have read. So there is some big $$ behind them. but they are really gonna have to start off impressive to make any kind of splash, especially with the 20% buyer  fee, if they stick to that number on the first auction and they also charge a seller fee....so this should play out very interestingly.

Seller fee on comics is 12.5 %. That's still higher than anyone with a solid track record in comics .  Not sure why anyone would want to go there.  I know someone in WV that approached them (among others)  with a mega key and G Auctions wouldn't move on the fee.......

On 8/21/2021 at 9:52 AM, Chicago Boy said:

Seller fee on comics is 12.5 %. That's still higher than anyone with a solid track record in comics .  Not sure why anyone would want to go there.  I know someone in WV that approached them (among others)  with a mega key and G Auctions wouldn't move on the fee.......

This is a guaranteed "fail" unless their auction breaks records in several key places, ...emphasis on the word key.   You can't come into a market and promise the best right off the bat ...or Batman... and not deliver! New kid on the block better have his pocket change ready, the bullies are coming to eat his lunch.

On 8/18/2021 at 4:15 AM, eschnit said:
On 8/18/2021 at 12:44 AM, lou_fine said:

Well, if this is true, then shouldn't books like New Fun 2 and New Comics 2 be worth a lot closer to both Action 1 and 'Tec 27 then?  hm

So, let me qualify my response.  I’m playing Devil’s Advocate to some degree. I also don’t know you, so you may be doing the same.  And I’m not the expert.  I don’t know what I don’t know.  But no, or not remotely to the same degree in my opinion.   

ptain America or Wonder Woman, the Joker, or even say the Destroyer.  There’s no lore, except for hardcore hobbyists.  Nic Cage scooped up Action 1 to Wayne Gretzky’s T206 Wagner, not New Fun 2.  Rarity matters, but demand matters more is my main thought.

Well, I would most definitely agree with your point here, although strange to say, it was really the extreme rarity of some of these pre-hero DC books that first got me intertested in the GA market.  (thumbsu

On 8/21/2021 at 10:59 AM, Cat-Man_America said:

This is a guaranteed "fail" unless their auction breaks records in several key places, ...emphasis on the word key.   You can't come into a market and promise the best right off the bat ...or Batman... and not deliver! New kid on the block better have his pocket change ready, the bullies are coming to eat his lunch.

20% BP, and 12% seller that is about 1/3 of the gross....interesting calculation, they get full BP and 12% of the auction price which actually works out in their favor. Stiff price for not being able to even see these books yet. I do not think crash and fail...more they will have to budge on the sellers fees to compete against Ha, CC and CL.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 8/21/2021 at 1:39 PM, lou_fine said:

$3.2 million for old newsprint or old pulp paper?  lol

It's worse than that, ...you're really just paying for the ink, when you think about it (same for old cardboard).  It's all about how the inks are applied.  That's where the value rests. 

:tink:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Typo fixed and ale added.

On 8/21/2021 at 2:39 PM, lou_fine said:

$3.2 million for old newsprint or old pulp paper?  lol

I understand it because it's based on trying to recapture a feeling that cannot actually be recaptured. These guys are remembering the euphoria they felt at age twelve when they finally got their hands on a coveted baseball card or stayed up late reading a new comic book under the covers by flashlight. I get it because I've experienced the same thing. Some people will spend any amount of money in an attempt to recapture that feeling. It isn't possible—their childhoods are gone forever—but they will try. If they can come close, even for a moment, it may be worth it to them. I do the same thing when I spend a few hundred dollars or a few thousand dollars on a book; spending more than that just isn't possible for me. And I do experience a moment of near euphoria when I get my hands on a new comic. It doesn't last long, which is why I have to buy another . . . and another . . . and another. It evokes the memory of how I felt collecting as a kid, but the memory isn't quite the same as the actual feeling; it does fall short. But I suppose I'll never stop trying. I can't, in fact.

Edited by jimbo_7071

On 8/6/2021 at 12:00 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Whatever happened to Mound City--I forgot about them !  We'll know soon enough if it's a success.  Ay idea how long their auctions run ?  I'm not sure it's worth the extra commission you have to pay as a seller (at least at this point)  Still cheaper than their card rates to sell

Just dead.

On 8/30/2021 at 8:00 PM, Chicago Boy said:

https://sethabramson.substack.com/p/breaking-news-a-major-scandal-at?justPublished=true

Anybody have any insight into this potential fraud ?  The video was well done and hard hitting 

Ummmm.....................................I guess you haven't wander over to Comics General in the past week or so because they've had a couple of threads going on this topic for quite awhile now:

For the long time comic book boardies here, really nothing that new as we've all heard these stories and suspected similar nefarious shenanigans for the longest while anyways from what we've seen in the other collectibles marketplace which then sadly materialized in the comic book marketplace when certification and auction houses showed up on the scene.  :devil:

Then again, haven't read the lastest on this topic, but like always it seems like it's all circumstantial evidence with no concrete proof which has always been pretty much the case with these things here.  (shrug)

Edited by lou_fine