• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

349 posts in this topic

I won a single book, but it was slabbed, so I'm not expecting any surprises. I'm still waiting as I paid by check, since Goldin is not set up for ACH or zelle payments, and my bank caps online wire transfers at $1K per day. Hopefully they will have better descriptions on their raw lots in the future.

On 12/18/2021 at 8:09 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Seriously? I don't use wire transfers, but I thought that they were most often used for large transactions like mortgage payoffs, etc.

I can do larger ones in person at the bank, and have for things like buying a house, but that's the limit using online banking with my bank. It's higher for a commercial account. 

On 12/18/2021 at 1:47 AM, tth2 said:

I think the moral of the story is don't buy ungraded books from someone with no experience with comic books.  

Goldin needs to stick to trading cards.  They are going to need some elite books in January to be takin seriously.  

Edited by Chicago Boy

On 12/18/2021 at 7:02 PM, Chicago Boy said:

Goldin needs to stick to trading cards.  They are going to need some elite books in January to be takin seriously.  

It's not just the quality of the inventory...they don't seem to get how to properly sell and describe comics, trying to treat them exactly the same as sports cards, which isn't the right approach.

On 12/18/2021 at 10:36 AM, rjpb said:

I won a single book, but it was slabbed, so I'm not expecting any surprises. I'm still waiting as I paid by check, since Goldin is not set up for ACH or zelle payments, and my bank caps online wire transfers at $1K per day. Hopefully they will have better descriptions on their raw lots in the future.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:09 AM, jimbo_7071 said:

Seriously? I don't use wire transfers, but I thought that they were most often used for large transactions like mortgage payoffs, etc.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:22 AM, rjpb said:

I can do larger ones in person at the bank, and have for things like buying a house, but that's the limit using online banking with my bank. It's higher for a commercial account. 

We absolutely do AHC payments. Wire, Crypto, check. Pretty much any way you want to pay other then paypal/zelle. 

On 12/27/2021 at 1:13 PM, rjpb said:

Support needs to get on the same page then.

1763278245_ScreenShot2021-12-27at10_11_11AM.thumb.png.f6d1c90f2698f3f942689a2fe904237e.png

Im very sorry Richard. We had a-lot of new support staff start recently. I will make sure they are all updated ASAP. We 100% take ACH payments. It's actually preferred. If you ever have any issues please reach out to me directly. dom@goldinauctions.com

On 12/27/2021 at 10:32 AM, domuhnator said:

Im very sorry Richard. We had a-lot of new support staff start recently. I will make sure they are all updated ASAP. We 100% take ACH payments. It's actually preferred. If you ever have any issues please reach out to me directly. dom@goldinauctions.com

Thank you, will do. I will say responses were prompt and otherwise helpful, so don't be too hard on them. Not a big deal to send a check, as that's typically how I pay for comiclink wins as well, but if your bank facilitates it, I would recommend accepting zelle. 

On 12/27/2021 at 2:11 PM, rjpb said:

Thank you, will do. I will say responses were prompt and otherwise helpful, so don't be too hard on them. Not a big deal to send a check, as that's typically how I pay for comiclink wins as well, but if your bank facilitates it, I would recommend accepting zelle. 

I know we cant do Zelle. Possibly in the future but as of right now payment options wont change. 

On 12/27/2021 at 4:12 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Dom, I have to say your company picked the right guy to address the Boards.  I'm impressed by how you've managed to stay calm, polite and gracious under the barrage of often hostile comments and inquiries.  I hope you folks can iron out the wrinkles and become competitive.  It never hurts to have another auction house to consider. 

+1, very respectful in replying

On 12/10/2021 at 11:25 PM, szav said:

Personally I find this the most annoying format of all, and subsequently don't bid often on either.  The format hardly matters anyway, you can always just put in your max bid whatever it may be at any point on any of these sites, and just go do something else.  I usually just put in my max bid the morning of, and I've won plenty for far less than that max bid on all of the major sites.

Most of the time I get distracted and forget to bid on an item I want, but sometimes I remember at the very last minute and frantically try to log on. More than once I would have been too slow if I hadn't been saved by the extended bidding. Most of the time I get outbid anyway, but there's nothing worse than forgetting to bid.

Comiclink's format is a bit difficult to time. Several years ago I attempted to bid on a must-have book and waited too long. Even thought the timer said that I had three seconds left when I clicked submit, the system told me that my bid wasn't in time. I was using very fast internet, so three seconds should have been plenty of time. The book sold for substantially less than my (attempted) max bid.

On 12/27/2021 at 5:12 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Dom, I have to say your company picked the right guy to address the Boards.  I'm impressed by how you've managed to stay calm, polite and gracious under the barrage of often hostile comments and inquiries.  I hope you folks can iron out the wrinkles and become competitive.  It never hurts to have another auction house to consider. 

He took a beating early on with some of his responses actually but learned quickly on how to win this tough crowd over. If January truly has the elite books he says they have (and were sandbagging on purpose) I'll find him to be a man of his word as well :highfive:

On 12/27/2021 at 6:12 PM, RareHighGrade said:

Thank you for the kind words, I really appreciate that. Im working very very hard to make the goldin comic department a force to be reckoned with. Given some time I have no Doubt we will have a very very competitive product for you all.  

On 12/28/2021 at 11:44 PM, Chicago Boy said:

He took a beating early on with some of his responses actually but learned quickly on how to win this tough crowd over. If January truly has the elite books he says they have (and were sandbagging on purpose) I'll find him to be a man of his word as well :highfive:

Haha Im no stranger to the boards. But im not going anywhere. 

I wouldn't say sandbagging. We have different kinds of auctions. Not all of them are going to elite level auctions. This past one was not. The next one will be! 

The goal was to launch late January. But our sports January sports auction looks like its get extended a few days. So we're looking at early February as a probable start for bidding. 

On 1/3/2022 at 9:56 AM, domuhnator said:

The goal was to launch late January. But our sports January sports auction looks like its get extended a few days. So we're looking at early February as a probable start for bidding. 

What about the preview? My understanding was that the new website meant we'd be able to see previews even while other auctions were running.

On 1/3/2022 at 11:27 AM, bpc3qh said:

What about the preview? My understanding was that the new website meant we'd be able to see previews even while other auctions were running.

Yes that is the case. Im not sure how long this preview will be or when it will start. But there will be a preview. As I said before though I don't think were every going to run the multi month previews like HA does. We are still working out the exact preview details for this auction.