• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Goldin Auctions Enters the Market
10 10

349 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2022 at 12:57 AM, RustyStaples said:

Wow.  Superman 1 3.0 for $720k.  That's incredible.  Is it record breaking?

I was shopping around a 3.5 for roughly that price about a month ago and nobody thought it was in the ballpark. 

On 2/24/2022 at 3:42 PM, szav said:

I don't keep too close on eye on the SA/BA  key prices, but at a glance looks like they did pretty well too.

TMNT #1 First print CGC 9.8 setting a record at 264k too, and an IH 181 CGC 9.8 almost breaking the 100k mark

Most definitely as both of the results for these 2 key books appears to be record setters here from what I am aware of.  :applause:

Metro was able to auction and/or private sale off 3 copies of the TMNT book in equivalent CGC 9.8 grade recently at price points of $245K, $250K, and then $230.56K in September, October, and December respectively.  So, this Goldin copy at a price point of $264K is definitely continuing the trend upwards.  Same with their copy of Hulk 181 being able to hit $98.4K which is a substantial bump up from the $84K that Heritage was able to received for their equivalent 9.8 graded copy back in September of 2021, and also pretty much double what the book was going for about a year.  (thumbsu

Edited by lou_fine

I'd like to know who are these people paying these record breaking prices for these books: the Supes 1, Hulk 181, TMNT 1.  Are they comic book collectors, sports cards buyers, etc.?  The Superman 1 CGC 3.0 sale was definitely eye popping and could be an outlier.  I had the book at $500k tops as my prediction.  I also wonder if it will be paid...

On 2/25/2022 at 2:35 PM, Dark Knight said:

I'd like to know who are these people paying these record breaking prices for these books: the Supes 1, Hulk 181, TMNT 1.  Are they comic book collectors, sports cards buyers, etc.?

Unlike the Heritage customer based when it comes to their comic book auctions, I get the feeling that the Goldin customer base is much more likely to be your non-traditional long time comic book collectors.  hm  (shrug)

I was having dinner with my nephew-in-law who is a partner in an online line beauty products company with warehouses in the SF Bay area, Philly for the east coast, and HK for the Asian market.  When he started talking about buying NFT's, he said that although he personally was rather tentative before buying some for himself at first, he was aware of friends who had spent millions on them.  He mentioned that they were really part of what he called the Instagram and TikTok generation who were really more into acquiring digital assets, as opposed to old school physical assets. :p

When I mentioned vintage collectible comic books to him and some of what we think are insane prices, he commented that would really be nothing more than pocket change to some of these guys as they pretty much live in a completely different world now from the "regular" people like you and me.  Especially since many of them made millions being the first to enter the etherum marketplace and basically brought in for what would today be mere pennies on the dollar.  :whatthe:

He went on to comment that if any of these "new generation" multi-millionaires ever got a fancy to comic books if they ever come across their digital radar screen, he would not be surprised at all if they would simply throw record amounts of dollars in order to snap up some of these top end high dollar value books, which we as long time collectors see as being well beyond our pocketbooks.  hm

On 2/25/2022 at 3:50 PM, lou_fine said:

Unlike the Heritage customer based when it comes to their comic book auctions, I get the feeling that the Goldin customer base is much more likely to be your non-traditional long time comic book collectors.  hm  (shrug)

I was having dinner with my nephew-in-law who is a partner in an online line beauty products company with warehouses in the SF Bay area, Philly for the east coast, and HK for the Asian market.  When he started talking about buying NFT's, he said that although he personally was rather tentative before buying some for himself at first, he was aware of friends who had spent millions on them.  He mentioned that they were really part of what he called the Instagram and TikTok generation who were really more into acquiring digital assets, as opposed to old school physical assets. :p

When I mentioned vintage collectible comic books to him and some of what we think are insane prices, he commented that would really be nothing more than pocket change to some of these guys as they pretty much live in a completely different world now from the "regular" people like you and me.  Especially since many of them made millions being the first to enter the etherum marketplace and basically brought in for what would today be mere pennies on the dollar.  :whatthe:

He went on to comment that if any of these "new generation" multi-millionaires ever got a fancy to comic books if they ever come across their digital radar screen, he would not be surprised at all if they would simply throw record amounts of dollars in order to snap up some of these top end high dollar value books, which we as long time collectors see as being well beyond our pocketbooks.  hm

My teenage nephews are invested in NFT's. Said they're making good money out of it. I don't know anything about it and just told them to be careful putting your money into it.

On 2/25/2022 at 4:50 PM, lou_fine said:

I think the most important thing about Goldin getting into the biz is not crypto, NFT, etc., but the fact that it's a whole new pool of buyers with a history of spending money on paper collectibles.  To them Goldin is a tried and true seller of quality, and they feel comfortable spending with them.  It's a huge infusion of collectors with money to spend and a willingness to spend it.  

On 2/26/2022 at 6:39 PM, buttock said:

I think the most important thing about Goldin getting into the biz is not crypto, NFT, etc., but the fact that it's a whole new pool of buyers with a history of spending money on paper collectibles.  To them Goldin is a tried and true seller of quality, and they feel comfortable spending with them.  It's a huge infusion of collectors with money to spend and a willingness to spend it.  

There could be some overlap, but most collectors of sports cards have no interest whatsoever in comics, just like most comic collectors have no interest whatsoever in sports cards. Using the blanket label "paper collectibles" is very disingenuous. Goldin might attract some buyers, but I don't think that many of their sports card buyers will be bidding on comics. They're more likely to pull market share away from the other comic book auction venues.

On 3/9/2022 at 8:07 PM, jimbo_7071 said:

There could be some overlap, but most collectors of sports cards have no interest whatsoever in comics, just like most comic collectors have no interest whatsoever in sports cards. Using the blanket label "paper collectibles" is very disingenuous. Goldin might attract some buyers, but I don't think that many of their sports card buyers will be bidding on comics. They're more likely to pull market share away from the other comic book auction venues.

You are significantly underestimating the influence outsiders have on the hobby. Here is a sports card investor that dipped his toe into the world of graded videogames, who grossly overpaid for a sealed copy of Sonic the Hedgehog by several hundreds of thousands of dollars by somehow missing the condition of the wrap on that copy. That sale was completed though and now exists as a data point when citing comps forever. The people who deal in games regularly will understand that transaction is an outlier, but not all buyers with cash to burn are in the same position.     

On 3/10/2022 at 12:25 AM, darkstar said:

You are significantly underestimating the influence outsiders have on the hobby. Here is a sports card investor that dipped his toe into the world of graded videogames, who grossly overpaid for a sealed copy of Sonic the Hedgehog by several hundreds of thousands of dollars by somehow missing the condition of the wrap on that copy. That sale was completed though and now exists as a data point when citing comps forever. The people who deal in games regularly will understand that transaction is an outlier, but not all buyers with cash to burn are in the same position.     

Those outsiders create ephemeral price bubbles. The hobby will eventually correct for those—once the outsiders realize that there's more downside than upside and move on. Admittedly, it could take years for the hobby to self-correct.

Edited by jimbo_7071

never understood the desire for NFT's nor do I want to. I have  adult children who have no problem with dropping hundreds to low thousands for non tangible assets, but then again I'm an early 50's old fart I guess. What a weirdass world we live in. And dont get me started on real estate values in the metaverse :idea: