• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

New Action #1 CGC 8.0 and New Detective Comics #27 CGC 8.5 in the Census
4 4

511 posts in this topic

Do individual collectors have that much leverage? CGC knows that the difference between a book in a CGC holder and another holder is bigger than this uncapped % of FMV. You can't go to the other guys unless you're using your wallet to make a point (which has happened, just not very often.)

Also, if you're actually selling a  book like this, the auction house should be taking care of getting the thing graded anyway. AND for a book\ like this they should 100% eat the grading fees if they know what's good for them. 

On 8/6/2021 at 5:26 AM, Chicago Boy said:

I don't think an Action Comics 1 CGC would sell for any more than an Action 1 CBCS.  I can understand the argument for highest graded but anything below that I don't think there is a difference between the companies. 

Agree Action 1 Tec 27 Sup 1 Bat 1 Marvel Mystery 1 Sell them self in lower grade restored or not.

I had my Tec 27 graded by pgx in 07 just so i had a 3rd party grading company grade it and would be a higher sale back than.

I have been told to send it to  CGC to get graded :idea: so i would lose $700 in grading fees I paid pgx and now have to add 3% more to have cgc graded hm

I don't think it would matter if it was pgx 4.5 that it is or cgc 3.5 or even CGC 2.5 the book would sell the same :whistle: 

I would tell the new buyer he really should have the book CGC graded.:devil: but not on my dime if I am selling :ohnoez:

I have had over 5 top Dealers over the pre CGC days look at this book and all graded the book in the 4.0 to 5.0 range over the years. I think CGC would put it at a 4.0. Ex

On 8/6/2021 at 12:29 PM, woowoo said:

I don't think it would matter if it was pgx 4.5 that it is or cgc 3.5 or even CGC 2.5 the book would sell the same :whistle: 

So your position is that a CGC 3.5 and a CGC 2.5 are worth the same amount of money?   Interesting.

On 8/6/2021 at 11:04 AM, batman_fan said:

Anyone know anything about Halo grading company?  I just saw them on some SA Daredevil books coming up on a CLINK auction.

Just how many grading companies are we going to have?

just came across them recently as well.  I s The Vault still in business ?

On 8/6/2021 at 11:45 AM, Bronty said:

You're a coinee?   How did that transition take place?

That's how it all started 50 years ago ... A 1849 Large Cent to be exact.GOD BLESS ...

-jimbo (a friend of Jesus)(thumbsu

On 8/6/2021 at 11:04 AM, batman_fan said:

Anyone know anything about Halo grading company?  I just saw them on some SA Daredevil books coming up on a CLINK auction.

Just how many grading companies are we going to have?

Halo is an Australian company. I haven't seen many of these for sale in the States.

On 8/6/2021 at 6:40 PM, Bronty said:

So your position is that a CGC 3.5 and a CGC 2.5 are worth the same amount of money?   Interesting.

In terms of quality and reliability i feel there is no intrinsic diff between Borocks voldemort slabbing and Nelsons cgc slabbing. Other than Nelson have a smarter holder.

On 8/6/2021 at 9:40 AM, Bronty said:

No. I say when it comes to a low grade RESTORED Tec 27 the price would not be off by much if any :preach:

Edited by woowoo

On 8/5/2021 at 8:18 PM, Aman619 said:

wow.  such wild speculation... based on what info?  You think CC would offer free grading under their 10 or even 15% commission?  After investing to purchase CBCS, and take over the overhead... really?? Then take their auction income that pays for CCs overhead, and use whats left (IF ANY) to keep their new FREE grading company going?  I'll have what you're smoking tonight!  Dont bogart that joint, m man!

By offering free grading for future CONSIGNED BOOKS ONLY they could increase their market share of auction material and possibly snag some higher quality material in the process. Now, especially if the CGC is going to charge 60K for a  A-1 grade fee.  This would be a company promotion to get increased business. Currently Ha is getting the best material on the market. Just compare the top books on the Aug-9 CC action to the Sept Ha auction...Ha is leaving them in the dust. It used to be years ago the CC and Ha were neck and neck with each auction having some truly great books, not in 2021. I also think Aman619 that you have failed to include in your comments these factors. What is CC actual stock of raw books?, that is company owned...if it is substantial they could in house grade and sell them at a much higher price rate, Secondly  they  control the priority of what gets graded first and offer a quicker time  grading period and thus a faster sale time to the the consignor especially in emergency sale situation  they control the assembly line. Further, they could really make a dent in the E-Bay sales of MCS and MHC by flooding the graded books on that and other platforms. There are multiple benefits for either Ha to outright buy CGC from Blackstone, or CC to buy the "other" guy for some type of vertical business integration ...which I assume you would have to acknowledge is a valid business practice. CC could be sitting on 1 million comic books, who knows.

The  other real possibly would be Mycomicshop which is in the same state and area to acquire the company. They and Chuck have the largest supply of ungraded comic books in the world...they could benefit too. MCS is a big time operation, probably the largest comic book shop employee wise in the world..they would benefit also from the vertical integration probably the most especially on their E-Bay sales by putting  a ton  graded books online...they could really do something in that market. One must remember that we are not taking a 500M CGC sale, we would be talking 1/10 that and sure MCS would not want to finance even 1/10 that but they could give a % of sales going to that total. I should really consult with them...LOL

Anyway, we really really have the best  legal "joints" out here in Cali land, its a damm smorgasbord,  so if you are even the the San Diego area...please give me a call, and we will light one up....cheers

Edited by Mmehdy

On 8/6/2021 at 1:47 PM, woowoo said:

No. I say when it comes to a low grade RESTORED Tec 27 the price would not be off by much if any :preach:

Well that’s very different and not what we were discussing.  The context was hg mega grails.    I hear you. (And great book).