• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Robin Comes Out
2 2

186 posts in this topic

On 8/10/2021 at 5:32 PM, djzombi said:

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean "no one cares."  
I, for one, care a lot.  

How does this forward the storyline of the character?

Explain to us how does this helps the character grow? 

Edited by NewWorldOrder

On 8/10/2021 at 6:15 PM, NewWorldOrder said:

Not at all.  I just see obvious and cheap tricks for what they are. (shrug)

Listen I am happy when I was younger I got to grow up first getting into comics back in the 1990's because since 2000-ish most comics are very forgettable and most of the overall creative talent has been bush-league at best besides a couple outliers.

Taking an already established character to fit some forced narrative is a cheap bush league move.

Todays creators lack the creative guts to create new characters, so since they lack talent they just pick a C-Level character out of a hat to rebrand.  I look down on people like that.  Have the guts to come up with something on your own.  That's a good narrative! 

Also know your audience!  

Batman fans are a certain demographic mainly, so trust me this will get the character less interest than more.  The Batman universe is about crime, action, and adventure not dating.  If the creators want to push that narrative then start with making a new comic with new characters that is about that then you will see zero problems.   Its makes more sense to turn Jughead gay than seeing Robin on a tinder date.

It also in my mind is insulting to LGBT community-"youre not important enough to create new characters so what we'll do is just shoehorn LGBT into some existing character".

On 8/10/2021 at 6:38 PM, djzombi said:

Please tell me you didn't just compare bisexuality to bestiality.  

No, I responded to the infinite possiblities of Kang's sexuality.

And I did this while multitasking and making fajitas for my 75 year old, battling his second cancer, homosexual father.

On 8/10/2021 at 7:26 PM, Coverless 9.8 said:

A near unanimously reviled storyline, although I think the marriage was a mistake!  

So it was like changing something bwe all knew about a character into something different to boost sales and public exposure?

On 8/10/2021 at 9:02 PM, kav said:

I dont think he's opposed to any LGBT character, just the lazy predictable tendency for publishers to use it as a gimmick because they cannot think of interesting stories.  One's sexuality isnt plot.  Unless it's a story wholly about that.

I understand and sympathize with that POV. 

His comment didn't seem to reflect that opinion. If so, it didn't come across that way to me at all.