• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exposing FRAUD And DECEPTION - A Must Watch!
18 18

1,299 posts in this topic

On 8/24/2021 at 10:33 PM, MatterEaterLad said:

This has been happening in the fine art world forever. A group works together to pump prices on pieces they've hoarded, then they sell at artificially inflated values. I always had the feeling this was happening occasionally with comics and certain auction houses, but figured there's a broader general interest in comics, plus nostalgia, enough to keep the market fairly honest. I'm feeling pretty disenchanted these days as well. Which is weird because the value of my collection has doubled in the past year. I'm guessing that's why a lot of collectors and dealers put on blinders and just don't want to know. 

I am feeling this way as well tonight. Maybe time for a sales thread soon! I have been very close to a HA consignment a few times recently and have been put off each time by small things. It shouldn't feel like a hassle and certainly shouldn't feel like a slimy hobby. 

On 8/24/2021 at 6:23 PM, valiantman said:

Nah, Rally was one-third of one sentence about buying shares in the asset, but not having physical ownership.  That's a concept worthy of its own 52 minute video, not 15 seconds in this one.lol

Bottom line, though, if you put $100 into Rally (or Otis, or Mythic Markets) you might lose $100 on a comic, card, video game, jersey, exotic car, 1st edition novel, or any other item, but you won't lose more than $100.

You certainly won't lose $8,000 like buying a whole WATA Atari Spider-Man for $9,000 in 2020 and seeing it sell for $8,000 less in 2021. :whatthe:

Everything that Rally Road is accused of I said they could possibly do and more when they arrived on the scene.

I guess the trick is at this point for those buying in is to make sure they are not left holding the bag or becoming too closely involved.

Good luck. 

On 8/25/2021 at 2:55 AM, MasterChief said:

I must admit that I don’t recall any investigative reporting every being conducted to shed light on the apparent shenanigans unleashed on the comic book hobby at the beginning of the certification age.

I would agree that there was never anything put together in the same way, in one single expose with the degree of production value (from the video snippets, to the layers of research) this video achieves. Having it all put together in one stop viewing like this is a huge advantage. However, as a member since 02', there has been a lot of damming information posted, from the time CGC tried to operate as a secretive "fixer" of comics, their first kick at the can with in-house pressing, the scandals over the years involving not only the "grader" but the "auction house." You lived it, you know the backlash I'm referring to for trying to come forward with the truth. When the Ewart books were being flagged, I put together a database with the help of people like yourself, who provided the before and after images, certification numbers, etc, and made it searchable and publicly available, and eventually had to take it down because the server it was hosted on was getting attacks. The server provider didn't mince words when they told me it had to go because it was causing issues on their server farm. When revelations occur, it's not only the "graders" and "auction houses" that are invested in maintaining order and status quo, it's everyone holding a slab. The fear that everything they have 'invested' in will tank is real, so it's not only a fight against the corrupt players and the system, it becomes more of a fight for the truth, and that truth and reality is sometimes too hard for people to bear when it means devaluing everything they've worked to build over their lifetime. Keeping the columns up becomes too important, even if it means they are complicit in the fraud and deception.

Just look at the link I provided previously of when the fireworks were going off on these boards over WATA games - look through that thread and read the warm reception my contrarian view got from one of the "video game" people on these boards. One of the other participants shining a light on the details regarding that $100K Super Mario Bros sale was asked to change info he had posted. Reading through the video comments, I see another forumite trying to weigh in on how this video sheds a bad light on people like Haspel, and I'm thinking to myself, the loyalties must have made them say this, because all I see are people trying to manipulate a market, and anyone that refuses to see the light, or worse, looks the other way, is either wilfully blind or complicit.

Edited by comicwiz

On 8/24/2021 at 10:14 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 8/24/2021 at 5:23 PM, valiantman said:

Nah, Rally was one-third of one sentence about buying shares in the asset, but not having physical ownership.  That's a concept worthy of its own 52 minute video, not 15 seconds in this one.lol

Bottom line, though, if you put $100 into Rally (or Otis, or Mythic Markets) you might lose $100 on a comic, card, video game, jersey, exotic car, 1st edition novel, or any other item, but you won't lose more than $100.

You certainly won't lose $8,000 like buying a whole WATA Atari Spider-Man for $9,000 in 2020 and seeing it sell for $8,000 less in 2021. :whatthe:

Everything that Rally Road is accused of I said they could possibly do and more when they arrived on the scene.

I guess the trick is at this point for those buying in is to make sure they are not left holding the bag or becoming too closely involved.

Good luck. 

Was there more than 15 seconds of mention of RallyRd in this video?  Were there accusations?  I guess I missed it.

It seemed to me that the narrator was happy that companies like RallyRd have SEC filings that can be seen and studied publicly, and not happy that companies like WATA don't have a census.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:54 AM, Buzzetta said:

If you do not realize that the operations of Rally Rd lead to the same questions as to the assignment of values I do not know what to tell you.

Countless others have laid out the scams of inflating values and Rally Rd to you in numerous threads.

You are a cheerleader for it and see it as the way of the future.  I am sure you are well invested in it financially if not otherwise.

I have seen things like Rally Rd before.  The last time I sniffed something like it I declined to become involved in it despite overtures from a couple of people that were close to me.  The result?  After watching the feds overturn the life of the brother of one of my close friends, seize everything due to his involvement in that very scam that made headlines, I was proven right. 

I would not have anything to do with Rally Rd concerning any significant amount of money unless it is money that you feel like urinating on and throwing in the trash. 

I have less than 1% of my "play money" (that is, money that has nothing to do with my retirement, money I'm free to spend on Kobe steak and eat, rather than throwing it in the trash) in RallyRd.  I'm a cheerleader for the concept of fractional ownership.  If you want to put $100 into comics, you shouldn't be limited to the options that cost $100 or less.

You should be able to put $100 into ANY comic the way you can put $100 into ANY stock.  You won't own a full company, a full comic, or even a full share (you can invest $100 in Amazon stock and get 0.03 share).  It goes up or down the same as a full share.

What's more, the fractional ownership concept mitigates the losses if there is fraud.  You lose $100, not $100,000 that you mortgaged for WATA Super Mario.

RallyRd probably won't win the day.  The concept of fractional ownership in much larger assets controlled by exchanges and the SEC will absolutely win this century.

Edited by valiantman

On 8/25/2021 at 9:59 AM, valiantman said:

RallyRd probably won't win the day.  The concept of fractional ownership in much larger assets controlled by exchanges and the SEC will absolutely win this century.

Timeline 2047...

"Grandpa, why did you spend $100 on this J. Scott Campbell comic variant instead of putting $100 into Action Comics #1?"

"Because you get to HOLD this variant in your hands, child.  Now, stop touching it, or it will be worth less than the $20 it is now."

On 8/25/2021 at 10:59 AM, valiantman said:

I have less than 1% of my "play money" (that is, money that has nothing to do with my retirement) in RallyRd.  I'm a cheerleader for the concept.  If you want to put $100 into comics, you shouldn't be limited to the options that cost $100 or less.

You should be able to put $100 into ANY comic the way you can put $100 into ANY stock.  You won't own a full company, a full comic, or even a full share (you can invest $100 in Amazon stock and get 0.03 share).  It goes up or down the same as a full share.

What's more, the fractional ownership concept mitigates the losses if there is fraud.  You lose $100, not $100,000 that you mortgaged for WATA Super Mario.

Until they and the concept get exposed for what I and many others believe that they are doing. 

I believe, (have to throw that word in) based on what I see that it is a scam plain and simple. 

Those that participate are either blindly oblivious to it, choose to ignore it, fools, or orchestrators of it preying off the others.   Like I have said, you are free to do with your money as you wish.  Some people like to throw it away.  Others choose better means. 

On 8/25/2021 at 10:11 AM, Buzzetta said:

Until they and the concept get exposed for what I and many others believe that they are doing. 

I believe, (have to throw that word in) based on what I see that it is a scam plain and simple. 

Those that participate are either blindly oblivious to it, choose to ignore it, fools, or orchestrators of it preying off the others.   Like I have said, you are free to do with your money as you wish.  Some people like to throw it away.  Others choose better means. 

Fair enough.

If I believe (have to throw that word in) that a fire may someday burn a hole in my front lawn, I would be a fool not to stand there with a hose watering it over and over and over, right?

You're free to let your lawn catch on fire, but I prefer a preventative approa... dang it, I got water on the keyboard.

On 8/25/2021 at 11:08 AM, valiantman said:

Timeline 2047...

"Grandpa, why did you spend $100 on this J. Scott Campbell comic variant instead of putting $100 into Action Comics #1?"

"Because you get to HOLD this variant in your hands, child.  Now, stop touching it, or it will be worth less than the $20 it is now."

Nice try but not quite.

Like I said, "blindly oblivious to it, choose to ignore it, fools, or orchestrators of it preying off the others."

Where do you fit in there?

Many of us have outlined the majority of the (possible - again I have to add that word in here) scam to you.

On 8/25/2021 at 10:15 AM, Buzzetta said:

Nice try but not quite.

Like I said, "blindly oblivious to it, choose to ignore it, fools, or orchestrators of it preying off the others."

Where do you fit in there?

Many of us have outlined the majority of the (possible - again I have to add that word in here) scam to you.

False dichotomy.  Blindly oblivious to what you believe, choose to ignore what you believe, fools about what you believe, or orchestrator of what you believe preying off the others.

All of these are the same option... people doing what you believe they should, and nothing else.

I don't believe what you believe, therefore, all other options are also available.

According to Heritage Director of Auctions John Petty, the books were “not purchased, submitted to CGC, or re-consigned by any Heritage employee or by the firm itself.”

Keeping with the company’s policy of not releasing the names of bidders or consignors, Petty told CBG, “A dealer-client bought them, resubmitted them, and got a higher grade and then reconsigned them with us.”

Petty said that the company did not restore the books. “We do not employ anyone to do restoration, nor do we work on books ourselves,” he added. “We do have outside consultants to do restoration checks for us, but there are no restorationists on our payroll at this time nor have there ever been.”

As we noted in the video, there's some language here that, while it could be true, does not necessarily represent the whole truth.  A Director, for example, is not an "employee."  An independent contractor is not an "employee" nor is that firm/person on the "payroll."

Someone who knows how to ask better questions needs to talk with these folks.

Edited by MattTheDuck

On 8/25/2021 at 11:19 AM, valiantman said:

False dichotomy.  Blindly oblivious to what you believe, choose to ignore what you believe, fools about what you believe, or orchestrator of what you believe preying off the others.

All of these are the same option... people doing what you believe they should, and nothing else.

I don't believe what you believe, therefore, all other options are also available.

So we can rule out "orchestrators of it preying off the others."

Again, many of us see the exploits and scams arising out of it a mile away. 

TTYL almost lunch time and I have people leaving now after completing a job here. 

Edited by Buzzetta

On 8/25/2021 at 11:10 AM, Taylor G said:

I'm so old, I remember when the idea of stock ownership was to invest in a company.  With a product.  And that company is able to produce that product because you invested in it.  And if people bought that product, you made a return on that investment.

I had no idea it now means betting on how long boomer nostalgia can inflate the already inflated value of pop memorabilia.

eb476c_00bab8fb2b8543558936da1c105fb197-

The moment the value of the pop memorabilia drops to zero, you can either lose 100% now or you could lose 0.01%, if the fractional market existed.

All investments are bets with a timeline in mind.  "Until death" and "until next year" bets work the same for a company manufacturing a product as they do for boomer nostalgia.

In 1990, my friend's son was 4 years old and all he wanted to talk about was "Teena-Moo-Ninja-Turtles".  If I had bet on his nostalgia for a few thousand in 1990, I'd have millions of dollars in books today, and he won't be a boomer himself for another 20 years.

Edited by valiantman

On 8/25/2021 at 12:15 PM, valiantman said:

The moment the value of the pop memorabilia drops to zero, you can either lose 100% now or you could lose 0.01%, if the fractional market existed.

All investments are bets with a timeline in mind.  "Until death" and "until next year" bets work the same for a company manufacturing a product as they do for boomer nostalgia.

In 1990, my friend's son was 4 years old and all he wanted to talk about was "Teena-Moo-Ninja-Turtles".  If I had bet on his nostalgia for a few thousand in 1990, I'd have millions of dollars in books today, and he won't be a boomer himself for another 20 years.

Yeah, TMNT 1 is a good example.   9.8s were 20k just a very short time ago.   And now they are 250k?  SCAM!   SCAM!    FRAUD!  DECEPTION!!     

The obvious take away for anyone looking at rising prices in today's collectible markets should be that 80s and 90s material is very hot in general, and that this time frame is when interest starts to splinter off from comics into other things like games and MTG and pokemon and whatever else, because 90s kids, post the decline of the comics industry, were into other things.   Those other things are now hot.

It really doesn't take a genius.   We've been talking about this effect on the boards for a very long time.

Is there speculation in the game market?  Sure.  Also in comics, real estate, the stock market and almost any other market you care to name.

The video grasps at straws, and its incorrect literally 5-10 seconds in.    30k was not a record of any kind for a game sale in 2017.    And when your video starts off with a glaring mistake that any modest amount of research would have uncovered, you know its not going to get any better from there.

This half baked video is, I would guess, simply an attempt to get attention.   Twitter content, more followers, clicks, whatever.   Either that or he's just salty.    "Gamers" like Karl have been mad about "collector" prices since the very early days.    Guys like that would cry foul in 2002 (when things were incredibly cheap) that collectors took copies out of the marketplace for "real gamers."    That self serving BS, the idea that you're only entitled to appreciate a game if you can beat it in 20 minutes like Karl can, is definitely still alive.   

Look around guys.    I love comics, but comics haven't been read by the masses since about 1994, and nothing lasts forever.   We are 27 years out from 1994.      Is it really shocking that people are hobbying elsewhere?    20 years from now, when all of today's 55 year old comic collectors are 75, what's the health of the market look like then?    Who will be left to care about anything other than the most desirable comics?      Comics, as a hobby, have eroding demographics and in 20 years those demographics will be similar to stamp and coin demographics.    Games, pokemon, etc have better demographics.      You shouldn't be surprised to see pokemon cards and desirable games gaining strongly against most comics/coins/stamps.     

Edited by Bronty