• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Kevin Eastman destroys another comic book grail!
3 3

266 posts in this topic

On 8/29/2021 at 2:14 PM, shadroch said:

Evidently he drew what the books owner requested. In what world is it any of your affair what a books owner does or want done to a book. There are people who argue it is wrong to encase a book in plastic, as they are meant to be read. There are people who think signatures on covers ruin the books. 

How big a sense of entitlement does one have to have to feel they can dictate what a books owner and the books artist can do?

It's like someone bought the mona lisa and then took a dump on it.  I don't care that it happened,  I'm just surprised. 

On 8/29/2021 at 1:55 PM, Wolverinex said:

It's like someone bought the mona lisa and then took a dump on it.  I don't care that it happened,  I'm just surprised. 

It is now a poo piece.. 

On 8/29/2021 at 11:14 AM, shadroch said:

How big a sense of entitlement does one have to have to feel they can dictate what a books owner and the books artist can do?

I wasn't aware I was dictating anything, only sharing my opinion on a public forum and questioning if an there is a line an artist shouldn't cross. I understand what the title of my post is, but it seems the vast majority agree the book looks like hell, even if they don't agree with my opinion that there is a point where an artist should refuse a customer's request.  

On 8/29/2021 at 12:11 PM, Amazing Cider-Man said:

As someone who has purchased several NYC bridges, I find that disturbing. lol

Its a great story-the scammer sells the 'earth' and is paid in space jewels, which turn out to be hyper frozen water.  Both guys were scamming each other.

On 8/28/2021 at 8:37 PM, fastballspecial said:

I am not a TMNT fan, but to each their own.
Beauty is in the eye of the beholder.

On 8/28/2021 at 10:21 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Are they your books?

No?

(Insert derogatory comment about p's and q's)

On 8/28/2021 at 11:31 PM, Hawkman said:

The owner is happy and seems like he wanted this. Who are you or anybody here to complain? it isn't yours. This is an embarrassing and ridiculous thread. Worry about your own books and grow up.

On 8/29/2021 at 12:37 AM, catman76 said:

Why do you care? You don't own it and how is it destroyed? it's still readable and intact so it's fine. It's sure better than just a name scribbled on it. I'd rather have a drawing from an artist not some scribble. I think it's pretty cool

Agree with all of this.  Who gives a **** what a person does with their own books.  If he wants his kid to sign in crayon its his business.

On 8/29/2021 at 4:38 PM, OuterBanks said:

It's not the original art that they used and there are a few thousand copies floating around.  If Kevin defaced the oringal art used for TMNT 1 I could see why people would be upset.  

I gotta say to the OP - calling Eastman a sellout is something else.  Kevin constantly signs stuff for free and is very generous with fans.  How is that a sellout?

Just FYI Kevin doesn't own the OA, it was sold 14 years ago.  The owner is VERY protective of it and toured it a few years ago.  

On 8/28/2021 at 3:43 PM, Flanders82 said:

I saw this on a facebook post. At what point should an artist/creator/writer refuse the request of customer? I feel Kevin Eastman should be ashamed of himself for doing this to this TMNT #1 1st Print. I knew he was a sellout and signs far too much stuff, but this really grinds my gears.

https://www.instagram.com/p/CTH5M_tFMcj/?utm_source=ig_web_button_share_sheet

tmnt 1st print.JPG

You should really put the blame on the person who requested it. Not Eastman, like the above statement that Eastman sometimes signs items for free means he is not a sell out.

Go back to the FB post and rip the poster a new one with a comment. Eastman gave the requestor just what they wanted. 2c

On 8/29/2021 at 3:18 PM, OuterboroGuy said:

Agree with all of this.  Who gives a **** what a person does with their own books.  If he wants his kid to sign in crayon its his business.

Yes, sir, he has the right to scribble on it, with his kid's crayons if he wants, and we have the right to complain about it on the internet.  

On 8/29/2021 at 2:49 PM, BigLeagueCHEW said:

True, but that's what the customer wanted. We can't rip the painter a new one if he paints the Ferrari pink for someone. (shrug)

I paint my car I paint everything i just did some job on my car there I used a roller there the brush-came out beautiful.

On 8/28/2021 at 7:29 PM, kav said:

Let's say someone bought the mona lisa and had graffiti artist go over it.  Still ok cause it's his and thats what he wants?

Urban art already has that in Martin Whatson (below) and a few others. Also reminds me of when Bansky sneaks into a museum and posts his own art. Granted, it’s always an original piece in these cases.

image.thumb.jpeg.0774807cfe930fa7545f80d21ca27a18.jpeg

Edited by snitzer

On 8/29/2021 at 3:41 PM, snitzer said:

Urban art already has that in Martin Whatson and a few others. Also reminds me of when Bansky sneaks into a museum and posts his own art.

image.thumb.jpeg.0774807cfe930fa7545f80d21ca27a18.jpeg

I'm sort of an urban gorilla artist-I will do things like draw someone's victorian house then knock on their door and say 'here' and leave.