• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,147 posts in this topic

On 11/12/2021 at 9:14 AM, Bird said:

I made sure to put in my initial communication that I decided to consign based on this thread.

I got my first offer, books went up two days ago I think. I may take it.

It does seem a bit disorganized...I still do not have all my items listed on my consignment page. I emailed yesterday and the first thing they said was "check your consignments page" but then said the 4 comics I inquired about are in the queue. Even though my page does not have them listed as being anywhere; I do have 4 OTHER books listed as being in the queue but no mention of these other 4 anywhere other than the list of items sent/received.

But I am looking at a few raws now to send them, so I must not be too put off!

Your account page has a link to any of your consignment submission transactions https://www.mycomicshop.com/account 

image.thumb.png.16a8c1af00d641aee55c498ba5162b13.png

If you click the link shown in that screenshot, it will show you all the items you listed when submitting the transaction to us.

The status listed for that transaction shows that we are still working on it: "We are scanning and filing your items..."--that status will change to "Completed" after we've finished processing everything in. Once it's listed as completed, you should see all the items you submitted on your consignments page https://www.mycomicshop.com/account/consignment 

Right now you see some of them listed on your consignments page (all your slabs and some of your raws), and others haven't advanced far enough in our recording pipeline to show up on your consignment page yet. Slabs get recorded more quickly than raws since they don't require grading.

On 11/12/2021 at 12:05 PM, mycomicshop said:

Your account page has a link to any of your consignment submission transactions https://www.mycomicshop.com/account 

image.thumb.png.16a8c1af00d641aee55c498ba5162b13.png

If you click the link shown in that screenshot, it will show you all the items you listed when submitting the transaction to us.

The status listed for that transaction shows that we are still working on it: "We are scanning and filing your items..."--that status will change to "Completed" after we've finished processing everything in. Once it's listed as completed, you should see all the items you submitted on your consignments page https://www.mycomicshop.com/account/consignment 

Right now you see some of them listed on your consignments page (all your slabs and some of your raws), and others haven't advanced far enough in our recording pipeline to show up on your consignment page yet. Slabs get recorded more quickly than raws since they don't require grading.

Yes, that link was the only place all of the items were listed, but then on the next processing page there were items not accounted for in any of the categories. It has been corrected since I posted and now lists 8 items being processed (correct) where it had only listed 4 prior; it also said I only had 14 items consigned when the prior page has 18, so I was confused as to where the others went even though they were listed on the page you link to. As this is my first time, it seemed odd that I had 18 items in but only 14 listed as being in my consignment (until updated this morning). Thanks for the attention. 

I’ve only dealt with MCS on one occasion but it couldn’t have been any better, the entire transaction was flawless. There were a few email communications and a phone conversation where I spoke to either Buddy or Conan (can’t remember, perhaps both). I sent them a list of what I wanted to sell along with an asking price, they generously countered and I accepted.

Since I was in the area I dropped the books off, picked up a check for $17,000 and left. I was probably at their facility for less than 30 minutes.

From my experience these guys are phenomenal.   

On 11/12/2021 at 10:15 AM, Bird said:

Yes, that link was the only place all of the items were listed, but then on the next processing page there were items not accounted for in any of the categories. It has been corrected since I posted and now lists 8 items being processed (correct) where it had only listed 4 prior; it also said I only had 14 items consigned when the prior page has 18, so I was confused as to where the others went even though they were listed on the page you link to. As this is my first time, it seemed odd that I had 18 items in but only 14 listed as being in my consignment (until updated this morning). Thanks for the attention. 

Bird, it takes time to go through your books, image them and do what they do.  And they have a lot of other submissions coming in.  Patience, they're very efficient and will get to it quickly.

On 11/12/2021 at 1:46 PM, Bird said:

Sold my first item! CGC slab that I priced at $300, got a $250 offer and countered $265 which was accepted. This was a book I offered here at $235 a few times, so same difference there I guess (but sold). It was listed on mcs for 2 days.

This is a small marketplace.  MCS has a lot of buyers on their site and also on ebay.  From my experience, if your prices are around market you'll get lots of offers and sell almost everything.

On 11/12/2021 at 8:30 PM, thehumantorch said:

Bird, it takes time to go through your books, image them and do what they do.  And they have a lot of other submissions coming in.  Patience, they're very efficient and will get to it quickly.

I don't mind waiting but I can't expect to know what is going on when the info just isn't there. My replies are due to them telling me it is right there when it clearly isn't. There is no font for tone, but I was only looking for clarification, not complaining. Except for the bit about the art being cancelled, that was straight up complaining.

- Once I have sent books to mycomicshop, is there no limit to how long they can stay with them? For example if I have books there for 5 years, no storage fee? 

- Can I ask for books to be sent back to me if I change my mind about selling them (consignment)?

- Can I send books to CGC to be graded… then have CGC send them directly to mycomicshop after grading is completed?This would be popular for Canadians.

- Any restrictions for graded restored books? Do you buy them? They can be consigned?

Edited by eddly

On 11/14/2021 at 12:02 AM, eddly said:

- Once I have sent books to mycomicshop, is there no limit to how long they can stay with them? For example if I have books there for 5 years, no storage fee? 

Rules for consignment link at mycomicshop.

Rules.thumb.jpg.a7cd4925f8f58368f1ced10c165db7bd.jpg

On 11/13/2021 at 11:02 PM, eddly said:

- Can I ask for books to be sent back to me if I change my mind about selling them (consignment)?

For everyone elses’ benefit, I found the answer to this one, books can be mailed back to the consignor - it is stated as a rare request.

On 11/14/2021 at 2:56 AM, Domo Arigato said:

Rules for consignment link at mycomicshop.

Rules.thumb.jpg.a7cd4925f8f58368f1ced10c165db7bd.jpg

That mostly answers it. However, as part of the submission process to mycomicshop, do you have to declare what your intentions are (Consign vs sell to mycomicshop immediately)? Or once the book has been received by mycomicshop could I delay making a decision which would delay that 12 to 24 month listing period from starting?

For example, in the scenario where I provide 20 copies of the same book (I do actually have 20 copies of a slab), I probably don’t want to list all 20 at once… if I list 2 at a time until all are sold (assume I’m using buy it now), that might take longer than 12 months to sell them all (especially if I’m also not comfortable with its current fmv - and am also waiting for it to get a spec spike in value).

What happens once a book has “overstayed” its welcome (listed beyond the 12 to 24 month timeframe)? What has mycomicshop done previously when that happens? Email notification with an offer from mycomicshop to buy it out or is it automatically shipped back to the consignor at the consignor’s expense?

Im not trying to be difficult, really considering sending all my slabs to mycomicshop.

My raw books are steadily moving through the process...priced 3 last night and accepted an offer just now. So far so good. 

It will get interesting when my art gets listed. I am very interested to see what the results will be there since I do not think of mcs when I think of comic art.

sold another raw, that is 2/3. This one I am not surprised about, thought it was a good price myself! So bang bang, 2/3 raws sold in 3 days and 1/8 slabs (to a boardie). w00t w00t 

I'll stop with the updates now, as it is clear how things are going. If anything out of the ordinary happens I will let y'all know.

On 11/17/2021 at 5:13 PM, Bird said:

I'll stop with the updates now, as it is clear how things are going. If anything out of the ordinary happens I will let y'all know.

A little over a month and a half and I already have my 4th check on the way. Their eBay feature is working well, several sales were straight from eBay through these fine folks. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 11/24/2021 at 10:33 AM, jimjum12 said:

A little over a month and a half and I already have my 4th check on the way. Their eBay feature is working well, several sales were straight from eBay through these fine folks. GOD BLESS...

If you're ever thinking of buying a mycomicshop book on ebay don't and look for it on mycomicshop's website.  That applies to other dealers as they usually increase the price of the book to offset ebay's fees.  If I recall correctly I did that with a Greg Reece book earlier this year and saved $100 

On 11/24/2021 at 12:39 PM, thehumantorch said:

If you're ever thinking of buying a mycomicshop book on ebay don't and look for it on mycomicshop's website.  That applies to other dealers as they usually increase the price of the book to offset ebay's fees.  If I recall correctly I did that with a Greg Reece book earlier this year and saved $100 

Some may not be aware is all I can figure.... unless someone likes the eBay protection ... but from what I see, MCS is almost foolproof for a buyer. The book will usually arrive in a matter of a few days. GOD BLESS...

On 11/29/2021 at 9:58 PM, MrMaxx said:

Thinking of sending some books off to MCS. What shipping service/method are you guys using to ship to them? I haven't seen it noted anywhere here or on their site if there is a preferred method? Thanks

No preferred method. We get stuff from UPS, USPS, FedEx, whatever you want to use.

On 11/29/2021 at 9:58 PM, MrMaxx said:

Thinking of sending some books off to MCS. What shipping service/method are you guys using to ship to them? I haven't seen it noted anywhere here or on their site if there is a preferred method? Thanks

I use UPS. Usually gets there in two to three days.

I've had bad luck sending them anything via USPS. Couple of years ago I sent one book via Priority Mail and it bounced through the system for three weeks, making 45 stops. Got the package back, shipped it via UPS and it was there in two days.