• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Our Recent Experience Selling Comics Through Mycomicshop
23 23

1,141 posts in this topic

On 12/6/2021 at 6:16 PM, Bird said:

I just put aside and entered into the system 14 more raws to consign; good stuff but dupes. :manhero::manhero:

Got a check today too, that is groovy as I can write my costs on the statement and file for tax time. 

:flipbait::cheers:

I too have had good experiences with MCS, having just started in the last few months. Nothing beats the benefit of not having to deal with returns.

Suggestion for the MCS representative that's been stopping by: would you consider adding "newsstand" to items that might benefit from it (like anything 1985-2013). Like it or not, people are searching by that term and I feel kind of silly putting my stuff up at a premium if it isn't distinguished from the others in some way.

S

On 12/14/2021 at 11:25 AM, Ablation Steve said:

I too have had good experiences with MCS, having just started in the last few months. Nothing beats the benefit of not having to deal with returns.

Suggestion for the MCS representative that's been stopping by: would you consider adding "newsstand" to items that might benefit from it (like anything 1985-2013). Like it or not, people are searching by that term and I feel kind of silly putting my stuff up at a premium if it isn't distinguished from the others in some way.

S

Our handling of newsstands varies. For keys and higher value issues, we'll create standalone issue listings in our catalog for the newsstand and direct versions. Same goes for issues that CGC and GPA have begun listing the newsstands separately from the direct edition. For lower value issues, we'll decide on a case by case basis. We can and do note some issues as newsstand for consignors, but we haven't gone so far as creating separate issue listings for every possible direct/newsstand pair.

Is there a way to get "notes" on some of the lower grade items? I thought I saw notes on some listing but not others.

For instance, browsing some GA comics I see one listed at GD+ which looks better but I have no idea what the exact defects are. They "could" be: spine split, detached cover or centerfold, major tears, water damage, brittleness, etc.

Someone had to grade it a GD+ so why not let the buyers in on the reasoning.

On 12/14/2021 at 1:10 PM, mycomicshop said:

Our handling of newsstands varies. For keys and higher value issues, we'll create standalone issue listings in our catalog for the newsstand and direct versions. Same goes for issues that CGC and GPA have begun listing the newsstands separately from the direct edition. For lower value issues, we'll decide on a case by case basis. We can and do note some issues as newsstand for consignors, but we haven't gone so far as creating separate issue listings for every possible direct/newsstand pair.

My thinking is that most of them from the 1990s-up are commanding some sort of premium right now, so they would sell faster and/or at a higher price...good for you and the seller.

On 12/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, mycomicshop said:

Some items have notes, some don't. We're not like CGC where we have notes written down that we're not showing you. Any grade related notes we recorded are shown.

We're more likely to record notes when:

- item is higher value
- defect is not something that can be easily seen in the cover scans, eg spine splits
- defect is something that people tend to feel strongly about even when it's allowed within the grade, like water damage, mold, or in the case of a PR book detailing why it's poor (if page missing does it affect story, etc)

We generally do not attempt to notate relatively bland defects that are normal for the grade.

The reason we don't provide more notes for all items is that grading + recording notes takes more time than grading alone, and as a business we have to make a decision about how much labor to put into recording each book we handle.

Is there any way to access the notes once a book has been purchased? There were 2 copies available of a book I bought a few days ago. Both have been sold. I can access the listing from my account but the notes are gone. It just says sold. 

On 12/18/2021 at 11:47 AM, mycomicshop said:

Some items have notes, some don't. We're not like CGC where we have notes written down that we're not showing you. Any grade related notes we recorded are shown.

We're more likely to record notes when:

- item is higher value
- defect is not something that can be easily seen in the cover scans, eg spine splits
- defect is something that people tend to feel strongly about even when it's allowed within the grade, like water damage, mold, or in the case of a PR book detailing why it's poor (if page missing does it affect story, etc)

We generally do not attempt to notate relatively bland defects that are normal for the grade.

The reason we don't provide more notes for all items is that grading + recording notes takes more time than grading alone, and as a business we have to make a decision about how much labor to put into recording each book we handle.

From my buying, I don’t think I’ve ever had a surprise defect that wasn’t called out in the notes.  They are really good about pointing out all of the hidden gotchas- loose centerfold, centerfold loose at one staple, popped staple, water damage, etc.

I got a book with a coupon cut out once, but I’m pretty sure that it was missed in grading rather than not noted.  The return for that was as smooth as a return can go.

I put some things in the prime auction and they ended up at about 90% of where I figured they would, someone got a deal on ST126 last night! So no home runs but solid sales and worth consigning.

I tell you though, grades are tight! I consigned some books purchased here and grades were consistently lower on mcs than what I purchased them as here and I thought they were already a bit tight. Yikes, so my lesson as a seller is to perhaps be a buyer instead! But that is an observation and not a complaint; it will factor into what I send them but that is all.

And I sold some art too. I did not get 3.3 million for my Andy MacDonald page, only $37 but that is fine. He is still unknown even if I love his stuff for decades now! But then this morning mcs sold a Bill Sienkiewicz piece I consigned, so that was a good sale. I thought it was fairly priced but it sat when offered here and on CAF briefly so I let it sit there for a month or two and now someone else owns it. Groovy! Now someone should find that Starman page, it is a great piece of art! :devil: Then I may send them some more art. I have 3 more pieces of lower value art (another Andy Mac page, your chance at an Andy Mac art attack!) in the 1/31 auction so more experiment results to come.

On 1/14/2022 at 4:47 PM, Bird said:

tell you though, grades are tight! I consigned some books purchased here and grades were consistently lower on mcs than what I purchased them as here and I thought they were already a bit tight. Yikes, so my lesson as a seller is to perhaps be a buyer instead! But that is an observation and not a complaint; it will factor into what I send them but that is all.

MCS buyers know that they grade ultra conservative so they will often buy at prices more reflective of higher grades than what is listed. Usually. Some books just get lost in the crowd though. 

On 1/14/2022 at 6:27 PM, Ryan. said:

MCS buyers know that they grade ultra conservative so they will often buy at prices more reflective of higher grades than what is listed. Usually. Some books just get lost in the crowd though. 

I also have no patience, the sit and wait attitude was too much for me!!! I did pull a ToS94 from the next auction and put it back on stock.

I auctioned off several items and was happy. I was surprised at the depth and variety offered. I didn't realize how competitive they are. I ended up with about 60 books on the watch list. It looked like they have extended bidding too. If I have extra money, I'll be a buyer as well. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

On 1/14/2022 at 7:45 PM, jimjum12 said:

I auctioned off several items and was happy. I was surprised at the depth and variety offered. I didn't realize how competitive they are. I ended up with about 60 books on the watch list. It looked like they have extended bidding too. If I have extra money, I'll be a buyer as well. GOD BLESS...

Yes, I am looking through future auctions and may be buying as well.

On 1/14/2022 at 3:47 PM, Bird said:

I put some things in the prime auction and they ended up at about 90% of where I figured they would, someone got a deal on ST126 last night! So no home runs but solid sales and worth consigning.

I tell you though, grades are tight! I consigned some books purchased here and grades were consistently lower on mcs than what I purchased them as here and I thought they were already a bit tight. Yikes, so my lesson as a seller is to perhaps be a buyer instead! But that is an observation and not a complaint; it will factor into what I send them but that is all.

And I sold some art too. I did not get 3.3 million for my Andy MacDonald page, only $37 but that is fine. He is still unknown even if I love his stuff for decades now! But then this morning mcs sold a Bill Sienkiewicz piece I consigned, so that was a good sale. I thought it was fairly priced but it sat when offered here and on CAF briefly so I let it sit there for a month or two and now someone else owns it. Groovy! Now someone should find that Starman page, it is a great piece of art! :devil: Then I may send them some more art. I have 3 more pieces of lower value art (another Andy Mac page, your chance at an Andy Mac art attack!) in the 1/31 auction so more experiment results to come.

They are tight, and that’s why when I buy raws, I almost always buy from MCS.  I value the tight grading.  And I am willing to pay more if I’m buying from MCS.  My rule of thumb is that the MCS grade is usually a full point below a CGC grade.  I don’t have a lot of evidence for this, and I’m not an experienced grader.  But in early 2020 I bought an X-Men 94 from MCS that they graded 6.0.  I sent it into CGC, didn’t have it pressed, and it came back a 7.0.  Kind of wish I had pressed it. :) 

On 1/14/2022 at 8:31 PM, Dergrosse13 said:

They are tight, and that’s why when I buy raws, I almost always buy from MCS.  I value the tight grading.  And I am willing to pay more if I’m buying from MCS.  My rule of thumb is that the MCS grade is usually a full point below a CGC grade.  I don’t have a lot of evidence for this, and I’m not an experienced grader.  But in early 2020 I bought an X-Men 94 from MCS that they graded 6.0.  I sent it into CGC, didn’t have it pressed, and it came back a 7.0.  Kind of wish I had pressed it. :) 

I bought a LOT of raws from them, usually 50's Atlas, and I'd say they were a full grade tighter than most everyone else. GOD BLESS...

I had 11 books in the auction and hoped they would do about $2000. Two sold for a good bit more than I hoped for and three sold for substantially less.  In the end, they came to $1945. 

On the buying side, things were tight. I got blown away on most books and ended up overpaying for two. I did get five books at less than I was willing to go so not  bad week. Some crazy prices.