• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This may be an unpopular opinion. CGC needs a submission freeze.
4 4

202 posts in this topic

On 10/20/2021 at 8:51 PM, DocHoppus182 said:

I have some single digit Spideys I’d like to submit for express grading.  But, one, I don’t want my books sitting there for three weeks before they’re opened.  Two, waiting a month to get graded.  Three, possibly sustaining damage during slabbing/QC.

So.....guess they aren't gonna be graded then? (shrug)

On 10/20/2021 at 6:48 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Send two AF15's to be pressed and cleaned( out of the country)  then off to CGC for grading. Then blame CGC when the staples get popped and post pictures of yourself on the toilet reading them , all while threatening to take CGC down. 

:roflmao:

Out of the country..................when did CCS set up branches outside the U.S. to do their pressing and cleaning jobs?  :bigsmile:

Seriously though, I've never heard of CGC getting blame for popped staples, although I believe the concern is that they don't really downgrade for this pressing defect because they know that these "damaged" books are coming from their partner company and they certainly wouldn't want to do anything that will stop the money from flowing into the pockets of their mother corp.  :devil:

On 10/20/2021 at 7:48 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Definitely seems like a better plan than.... 

Become an Overstreet Advisor , then over grade your books.  Send two AF15's to be pressed and cleaned( out of the country)  then off to CGC for grading. Then blame CGC when the staples get popped and post pictures of yourself on the toilet reading them , all while threatening to take CGC down. 

That could never happen in real life.....

On 10/21/2021 at 1:56 AM, lou_fine said:

Out of the country..................when did CCS set up branches outside the U.S. to do their pressing and cleaning jobs?  :bigsmile:

Seriously though, I've never heard of CGC getting blame for popped staples, although I believe the concern is that they don't really downgrade for this pressing defect because they know that these "damaged" books are coming from their partner company and they certainly wouldn't want to do anything that will stop the money from flowing into the pockets of their mother corp.  :devil:

He didn't use CCS.  He tried to use a presser/cleaner that has done work in the field of conservation and (a lot of us think he was doing this to try to get it past CGC) 

On 10/21/2021 at 4:09 PM, thehumantorch said:

It did. That was a sumizied version of the Saga of Dylan.:roflmao:

On 10/18/2021 at 10:34 AM, Get Marwood & I said:

Such an obvious course of action, given how it looks, that it almost beggars belief that someone has to even make the suggestion in the first place. 

Just a test.  I want to see something.  When I respond to your other comments from "the time before the 502 errors" the posts disappear. 

On 10/22/2021 at 3:47 PM, Buzzetta said:

Just a test.  I want to see something.  When I respond to your other comments from "the time before the 502 errors" the posts disappear. 

Which ones specifically Buzz? I'll see if it happens to me too if I quote them.

On 10/22/2021 at 7:43 AM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:
On 10/20/2021 at 11:56 PM, lou_fine said:

He didn't use CCS.  He tried to use a presser/cleaner that has done work in the field of conservation and (a lot of us think he was doing this to try to get it past CGC) 

Well, not sure where your friend has been for the past 15+ years ever since pressing and cleaning got outed on these very boards here. (shrug)

If it's just a "press and clean" job that was being done on the book, there's actually no worries about trying to "get it past CGC" since this type of work on a book is NOT considerd to be restoration by CGC and will result in the book book residing in an unrestored blue universal slab. :gossip:

If anything, with the shifting and devolving grading standards over time to actually encourage this type of work to be done on the books, the CGC graders might actually see it as a plus when it comes to the final grade if they are aware that it was done by their partner company since it's a clear sign that the submittor is paying his just dues to them in order to have his books graded "accordingly".  :devil:

On 10/22/2021 at 5:51 PM, lou_fine said:

Well, not sure where your friend has been for the past 15+ years ever since pressing and cleaning got outed on these very boards here. (shrug)

If it's just a "press and clean" job that was being done on the book, there's actually no worries about trying to "get it past CGC" since this type of work on a book is NOT considerd to be restoration by CGC and will result in the book book residing in an unrestored blue universal slab. :gossip:

If anything, with the shifting and devolving grading standards over time to actually encourage this type of work to be done on the books, the CGC graders might actually see it as a plus when it comes to the final grade if they are aware that it was done by their partner company since it's a clear sign that the submittor is paying his just dues to them in order to have his books graded "accordingly".  :devil:

This wasn't my "friend " this was Dylan who was banned from these boards for his issues ( which were many) 

It wasn't just a press and clean that was speculated to be what he was trying to slide by CGC as you said and most of us know those are now considered acceptable.  

The person he sent the AF15'S to was another board member who has been working on a process of conservation that removes Lignin from aging paper to lighten color and has shown promise to add strength back to brittle pages. 

This member had no knowledge of  Dylans shenanigans , nor the issues with the AF15'S until after Dylan showed up here trying to threaten CGC. During those threads other members suggested and asked who he used for pressing as maybe they popped the staples. 

That member,  being stand up , came forward and provided all of his work and pictures . (He also has a thread on here talking about and showing pictures of the Lignin Removal and test results) Leading back to this being more than likely another of Dylan's attempt at scams.

Which a lot of us believe he was trying to use this member to try to "conserve" clean and press these books , and since this is a new process,  potentially exploit this as a way to bump the grades while still getting a Universal Label. Similar to his exploits of the Character Labels. 

On 10/22/2021 at 8:14 PM, Gaard said:

If you are referring to this one, considering the details . I would say YES..  

For those who do not want to follow the link and scroll through the complaints.  ( most for TAT.. 

Spoiler

20211022_202639.jpg.eb4668a1aa353f0cf46a4dc9b7c1cd46.jpg20211022_202700.jpg.877b840fbc284c3168746a2b428125a6.jpg20211022_202755.jpg.166073f0fb2c6b7779ac9b65bf6b9df2.jpg20211022_202825.jpg.7c8590dbe333ae3f14f120cb0be4b74e.jpg

as i stated above , and many have said the same in multiple threads,  he became known for trying to scam and this was just another attempt.  :facepalm:

On 10/21/2021 at 5:09 PM, thehumantorch said:

Check his IG.  I’m pretty sure he’s trying to pump a subscription service called “Better Than a Comic Book Price Guide System”.  Yes, it is $97 a month.

On 10/23/2021 at 8:36 AM, DocHoppus182 said:

Check his IG.  I’m pretty sure he’s trying to pump a subscription service called “Better Than a Comic Book Price Guide System”.  Yes, it is $97 a month.

I wouldn't even sign up if he paid me $97 per month.  Such a smuck

On 10/20/2021 at 9:48 PM, onlyweaknesskryptonite said:

Definitely seems like a better plan than.... 

Become an Overstreet Advisor , then over grade your books.  Send two AF15's to be pressed and cleaned( out of the country)  then off to CGC for grading. Then blame CGC when the staples get popped and post pictures of yourself on the toilet reading them , all while threatening to take CGC down. 

image.thumb.png.089a15340dda6f0a52047c074faa2582.png

-bc

On 10/17/2021 at 11:00 PM, Dr. Dank said:

Whine as much as you like but the reality is, until someone else creates a grading company with better ethics and quality, CGC is the only place to go for the best grades 

The competition is pathetic, and honestly, it's a shame, and the reason CGC gets away with its poor customer service and low quality website design.

Kidding, right? You just advocated for sloppy service, interminable wait time and damage to submissions. How does that spell out "better ethics and quality"?

On 10/23/2021 at 12:28 PM, bc said:

image.thumb.png.089a15340dda6f0a52047c074faa2582.png

-bc

Yep.. used that image a bunch in the Dylan threads.. why I said on the toilet.. 

Also used a lot of Sacha Baron Cohen jokes as he looks a lot like him.. 

20200910_212233.jpg.9c3d1a9b89c8c944a170bf85e82b3e6e.jpg

837337301_borat2.thumb.jpg.b05714dd5f52a844bc96966145191f28.jpgborat-.jpg.44867ede8fbd07377fd0d62d5118cd2e.jpgali-g.jpg.9f0fc5e985bc5107dfee5c11a25b016d.jpg20200912_205114.jpg.3ce023d7135054d3374727e2dc5c0ff7.jpg