• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

This may be an unpopular opinion. CGC needs a submission freeze.
4 4

202 posts in this topic

On 10/19/2021 at 7:38 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Have you seen the QC this past year and a half?

It's quite likely they are.

They aren't the graders doing that, it's QC.

Also, see my post above. Yeah they are screwing up, but it's not a large portion of the subs that is happening to.

I agree, shouldn't happen at all, but looking at the volume, it happens 

On 10/19/2021 at 2:24 AM, lou_fine said:

Ummmm...............why would they even care or spend their money on QC when everybody here has already clearly stated that it is totally acceptable as they will continue to use CGC no matter how terrible their service is or how long they have to wait to get their books back?  doh!

A great reputation is hard to earn and easy to ruin.

CGC will at times recognize when they screw up.  Remember the non welled press cases from around 5 years ago.  They never expressly apologized or admitted that case design was damaging books, but they did change it. If enough people start making noise it is noticed.

On 10/19/2021 at 12:59 PM, Dr. Dank said:

They aren't the graders doing that, it's QC.

Also, see my post above. Yeah they are screwing up, but it's not a large portion of the subs that is happening to.

I agree, shouldn't happen at all, but looking at the volume, it happens 

Yeah, I guess I meant the bad grading itself. Overgrades seem common lately. 

As for portion of QC issues I don't know the numbers either, I just see it discussed very often on the IG, the YT and comic book forums including this one.  There are a ton.

The only thing that should allow a coverless 9.8, backwards/upside-down book or incorrect label to leave the building is poor training.  Not the number of books that need to be checked.

Edited by Sigur Ros

CGC is the kindest, bravest,warmest, most wonderful grading company I've ever known in my life.

To those of you who joined this year but didn't submit any books. I salute you. Maybe next year you can buy multiple memberships and not submit any books. That way your protest will be twice as effective.

Who can forget that old protest song- We got even with the circus. We bought tickets but we didn't go in.  It might have taken a generation or two, but there are no more circus's. The arc of the universe moves slowly, but always in the right direction.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:38 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Yeah, I guess I meant the bad grading itself. Overgrades seem common lately. 

As for portion of QC issues I don't know the numbers either, I just see it discussed very often on the IG, the YT and comic book forums including this one.  There are a ton.

The only thing that should allow a coverless 9.8, backwards/upside-down book or incorrect label to leave the building is poor training.  Not the number of books that need to be checked.

That is actually subjective, with all grading companies. Hard to form a opinion if that's occurring or not

On 10/19/2021 at 1:47 PM, Dr. Dank said:

That is actually subjective, with all grading companies. Hard to form a opinion if that's occurring or not

I guess some might call it subjective.

Just one example:

img_8316-668x1024.jpg

And no, I'm not saying that one example equals the norm.  I'm saying there is quite a bit of this going on.

But my issues are not the overgrading on it's own (I mean, who wouldn't want that?)... it's the fact that grading is a bit all over the place anymore, and of course the QC.

Maybe when the load gets lighter, they'll do their jobs better.  Who knows.

Edited by Sigur Ros

On 10/18/2021 at 11:22 AM, blazingbob said:

I believe that Amazon Delivery trucks are individual companies that deliver for Amazon.  So if the company is bad that company is not used.  

When you have skin in the game you should care a lot more then being hired/paid by the hour.

My friend's daughter who was Amazon Flex Driver was terminated for tracking issues with Amazon's algorithms: the inability to account for a long line of Flex drivers outside the delivery station, for instance, or issues with car maintenance and repair that can cause delivery delays.  She said that few addresses were difficult to locate. A week later, she had a hard time to find two more locations which are located in the alleys.  After two weeks, the six locations challenged her but she made the deliveries. The bot fired her without a warning after she had a good standing for 8 months.  No matter how hard to get hold of someone at Amazon to sort this problem with the bot. Nothing came forward to her.  She ended up with two new jobs with Uber and Lyft.  She missed Amazon paychecks.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:43 PM, shadroch said:

To those of you who joined this year but didn't submit any books. I salute you. Maybe next year you can buy multiple memberships and not submit any books. That way your protest will be twice as effective.

I'm sure your post is sarcastic, but I did indeed just turn off the auto-renew on my account, which expires in a month.  CGC may get my business again when they stop being the epitome of everything currently wrong with this hobby.  

On 10/19/2021 at 11:34 AM, RonS2112 said:

I'm sure your post is sarcastic, but I did indeed just turn off the auto-renew on my account, which expires in a month.  CGC may get my business again when they stop being the epitome of everything currently wrong with this hobby.  

:tink:

On 10/19/2021 at 11:07 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Just one example:

img_8316-668x1024.jpg

And no, I'm not saying that one example equals the norm.  I'm saying there is quite a bit of this going on.

But my issues are not the overgrading on it's own (I mean, who wouldn't want that?)... it's the fact that grading is a bit all over the place anymore, and of course the QC.

And I'm saying your opinion that there is quite a bit of it going on is subjective. 

Until someone actually quantifies what's overgraded to what's not, we can't say with any sort of confidence that overgrading is occurring en masse

On 10/19/2021 at 3:53 AM, lou_fine said:

Sad to say, but I saw an interview with Matt Nelson posted here on the boards whereby he stated that the recent price increase was their strategy to address the bottle neck. 

Sad to say I find this sad. I thought it was a genius cash grab. Turns out it was just a blind squirrel finding a nut. 

I would raise prices again. My statement would go something like this.

As you all know there is a national wide supply chain problem and rising inflation. Many companies have been affected by this and CGC is no exception. Although it deeply troubles us, and gives us no joy in having to say this. We have to raise prices. We hope you understand and as a token of our appreciation we are giving you until such and such date to submit your books at our current prices. Sincerely your friends at CGC🤑

On 10/19/2021 at 10:30 AM, Sigur Ros said:

So they see all the backwards books, upside down books, incorrect labels, missing inner sleeves, the coverless High Republic they graded 9.8, the 8.0's they gave a 9.8, the swapped labels, the hundreds and hundreds of cracked slabs, etc, etc, etc, and assume their customers are too stupid to notice so why fix them?

All of these are such a small percentage. I didn't check the q and a section. It's business 101. It's cheaper to correct a mistake than to attempt to lower the number of mistakes. It's possible those tables have turned and nobody noticed. I am not saying they have the best and brightest people. Or that what they are doing is right. Just that when you have a 6 month or whatever back log business isn't hurting.

On 10/19/2021 at 10:48 AM, Sigur Ros said:

I have 40+ books there right now.  Sent on one of their many holiday 10% discounts.  $14.40 per book reg. modern grading.

Also 2-day, which in September worked out to 8 days from day I sent to day I received, was $36 per book reg. price (vs. $120 for 19 days CGC).

Price isn't even why I moved.  QC, more trusted/accurate grading and much better cases were the main reasons.

Regardless, stop pretending the competition "isn't even much cheaper".

I am not pretending. The only reason I would slab a book is so I can sell it. For me the competition is a lot more expensive. Thousands more expensive.

If your reasoning for slabbing isn't selling then the other guys could be a fantastic choice.

On 10/19/2021 at 1:33 PM, drotto said:

CGC will at times recognize when they screw up.  Remember the non welled press cases from around 5 years ago.  They never expressly apologized or admitted that case design was damaging books, but they did change it. If enough people start making noise it is noticed.

Your post reminded of something for all the qc complaining. This is a company that A. Didn't test there new slab before switching to it or B. simply didn't care if a decent amount of slabs went out that caused waves or rainbow. 

On 10/19/2021 at 2:07 PM, Sigur Ros said:

Just one example:

img_8316-668x1024.jpg

Nit picking. So it's over graded a point or two. People are human.