• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Exciting Updates to the CGC Chat Boards
15 15

1,842 posts in this topic

On 11/10/2021 at 11:03 PM, MyNameIsLegion said:

If you use private browsing mode on a mobile device it seems like your log in session on the boards expires much more quickly. I have the same issue too as a result 

I get it every time I swipe out of safari, and the “remember me” box is also checked when logging in. Not using private/incognito. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 11/10/2021 at 11:41 PM, namisgr said:

Same.  It's unfixable on my end.

On 11/10/2021 at 11:34 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Yup…no dice. 

Cleared history in the browser and all data in settings. 
0563678C-C72F-4E5D-B8B9-98D6F28B01FB.thumb.jpeg.806b20b5caec8d7c6e3b4810b9f86201.jpeg

Very strange.  I use android,  so that was my fix.  Perhaps we have some apple users who figured this out. 

On 11/10/2021 at 10:38 PM, batman_fan said:

Any time I need to clear my cache, I get a BURRITO SUPREME® COMBO from Taco Bell.

Considering how the boards have been, by now you may need to update your avatar.. 

20211110_225918.jpg.1393eb49f8e4fc1dd4e47d400a952f1d.jpg

On 11/10/2021 at 10:35 PM, awakeintheashes said:

I get it every time I swipe out of safari, and the “remember me” box is also checked when logging in. Not using private/incognito. 

If when you mean swiping out that you are leaving it in the background and not actually closing safari as an app, then yes that would be a problem, but if you are actually closing the app, that’s no different than quitting your browser and the remember me option can’t work in that case.

what I suspect specifically with Apple’s IOS is the recent change is cookie retention that requires a website to explicitly ask for you to opt into cookies. I don’t recall CGG doing this, and Apple may then be opting out of cookies that keep you logged in by default. To be frank the webhosting/web developers for this platform are not cutting edge. CGC would do well to fire them, because all their sites and domains are hosted through them, not just the message board. After the Blackstone purchase, CGC is due to upgrade a lot of things befitting a company of their size and revenue.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:17 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

If when you mean swiping out that you are leaving it in the background and not actually closing safari as an app, then yes that would be a problem, but if you are actually closing the app, that’s no different than quitting your browser and the remember me option can’t work in that case.

what I suspect specifically with Apple’s IOS is the recent change is cookie retention that requires a website to explicitly ask for you to opt into cookies. I don’t recall CGG doing this, and Apple may then be opting out of cookies that keep you logged in by default. To be frank the webhosting/web developers for this platform are not cutting edge. CGC would do well to fire them, because all their sites and domains are hosted through them, not just the message board. After the Blackstone purchase, CGC is due to upgrade a lot of things befitting a company of their size and revenue.

Closing the app/browser never caused me to logout in the past and does not when visiting other forums or even my CGC account homepage. It’s only when trying to access these boards. 

Edited by awakeintheashes

On 11/10/2021 at 11:21 PM, awakeintheashes said:

Closing the app/browser never caused me to logout in the past and does not when visiting other forums or even my CGC account homepage. It’s only when trying to access these boards. 

In the past yes, but that kind of supports what I said above. Every site has to do something with their session cookies on an Apple device, but absent that Apple is going to do something to all sites that defaults to protecting user privacy unless the user has specifically opted into something. That something needs to be configured on the backend. I don’t think that has occurred.

Also, to your point that you are still logged into your CGC account but not the board: the message boards are a completely different technology platform from the CGC website, it’s probably a third party hosted suite and is bolted onto the CGC site. They pass credentials from CGC to the boards for authentication of users, and that’s where this is falling now 

On 11/11/2021 at 12:17 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

I have had this problem happen on a Macintosh (using Firefox), a Macintosh (using Safari), an iPhone (using Safari), a Windows 11 PC (using Chrome), and a Windows 11 PC (using Edge). I'm pretty sure the problem is at the CGC side.

Edited by FlyingDonut

On 11/11/2021 at 12:39 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

In the past yes, but that kind of supports what I said above. Every site has to do something with their session cookies on an Apple device, but absent that Apple is going to do something to all sites that defaults to protecting user privacy unless the user has specifically opted into something. That something needs to be configured on the backend. I don’t think that has occurred.

On 11/11/2021 at 12:44 AM, MyNameIsLegion said:

Also, to your point that you are still logged into your CGC account but not the board: the message boards are a completely different technology platform from the CGC website, it’s probably a third party hosted suite and is bolted onto the CGC site. They pass credentials from CGC to the boards for authentication of users, and that’s where this is falling now 

Both make sense, but it’s surprising, and frankly disappointing, that a company like CGC wouldn’t have hired or contracted with someone to fix something like this. It doesn’t appear to be a problem with any other site or forum I visit. 

On 11/10/2021 at 11:51 PM, FlyingDonut said:

I have had this problem happen on a Macintosh (using Firefox), a Macintosh (using Safari), an iPhone (using Safari), a Windows 11 PC (using Chrome), and a Windows 11 PC (using Edge). I'm pretty sure the problem is at the CGC side.

I bet it still works on Windows Explorer 11! :idea:

:jokealert: Because IE is a joke, please don’t use IE.

Edited by MyNameIsLegion

On 11/10/2021 at 3:49 PM, Buzzetta said:
On 11/10/2021 at 3:47 PM, ttfitz said:

The problem with your summary of events is the description of what led to Richard's "temper tantrum" was pretty much 100% false.

But other than that...

Please tell then. All he originally questioned was why his sales thread was moderated.  So I am going by the complaint he brought up. 

Well, the problems started with your first point - unless I missed a later confession, his sales thread was never a "joke." The fact that it was taken as such was due to a misunderstanding. I would try to summarize, but I wouldn't want to follow up your mistake with a similar one of my own, so if you are at all interested in how that misunderstanding came about, I'm pretty sure Sharon's explanation is still on the board.

And I would like to be clear that I think Richard did, at times, go overboard in his presentation on the matter - not sure I would go as far as "temper tantrum", but I wouldn't argue with it overly much, either. And I do believe he owes Sharon an apology for his blanket reference to the moderators as buffoons, particularly after it became clear what had happened with his thread. I understand getting upset about it, and clearly mistakes were made (a phrase I generally dislike, but feel actual fits in this case), but not backing off on some of what he said in the heat of the moment does not help his case.