• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Your single favorite Bronze Age Cover: You must only pick one
8 8

226 posts in this topic

On 11/24/2021 at 10:46 AM, Joshua33 said:

I mean, it's Batman 227 for sure, as @ThothAmon put it so eloquently. I am surprised not to see anyone pick House of Secrets 92 yet. A classic Wrightson grey tone.

It's probably someone's favorite cover. I like it but I am not knocked out by it. It's neat that there have been several books cited as favorites that aren't especially well known.

On 11/25/2021 at 5:55 AM, Randall Ries said:

It's probably someone's favorite cover. I like it but I am not knocked out by it. It's neat that there have been several books cited as favorites that aren't especially well known.

Agreed. I am really partial to Bats 227, but if it was just based on cover art Bats 227 is an homage... so for a purely original Bronze cover, it would be House of Mystery 195 for me. :drool:

On 11/23/2021 at 10:09 AM, Randall Ries said:

Now, always and forever. This is the second cover I first noticed by Neal Adams. The very first was Superman #250 but Bat #244 wipes the floor with that cover. In spite of the glaring mistake, it's very well done.

c.png

It's my favourite as well.

Or at least is WAS until you made me notice the damn pants!!!!!!!!

On 11/25/2021 at 2:51 PM, William-James88 said:

It's my favourite as well.

Or at least is WAS until you made me notice the damn pants!!!!!!!!

It wouldn't be so bad if Ra's Al Ghul wasn't holding it up for the whole world to see. Still a killer cover. Sadly, I have noticed it since around 1973 when I got a copy as a ten year old. Even the adults couldn't explain it. Lame stuff like "Well now that Batman is dead, the man on the cover is going to be Batman!"

Back then, there was no such thing as an emancipated minor, so I couldn't even divorce my parents. And my father had the same sense of humor as I do now, so when I tried scribbling the pants out with a ball point pen, he said "Now you have ruined your comic book AND you know deep down inside those bat-pants are still there."

Many years later, in court ordered therapy, it finally spilled out. Why the life of crime and dysfunction, Randy? You are intelligent. You have a wife who loves you. You are a hard worker. Why the...."

"The BAT PANTS, DAMMIT! YA HAPPY? THE G.D. BAT-PAAAAANTS!!!!"

All that accomplished was another 30 days of court ordered therapy.

On 11/25/2021 at 11:07 AM, Jayman said:

We all know there are way too many great covers to ever pick just one. Not to mention the choices one would make based on the different genres. But the question is what is YOUR favorite BA cover? Well after much thought on this, I keep going back to this HOS book. Not only is it a great Wrightson cover with great moody green and red coloring, it means a bit more to me personally. This book was one of my first comics bought for me by my grandmother who I always called “Nana”. After accumulating a nice stack of comics, I, one day decided to start to organize them. This I believe was me becoming a collector for the first time. As I grouped all my HOS books together I knew this book was the oldest and therefore a very early issue. Number 5? 10? Maybe issue 1? I stared in disbelief that it was actually #100! It was then I grasped the concept of back issues and the hunt was on!

Happy Thanksgiving all! 🦃

HOS # 100.jpg

Great pick Jay! Another classic by the greatest horror artist of the Bronze Age!

On 11/24/2021 at 6:52 AM, Sweet Lou 14 said:

Who won?

DC.

They must've sold a TON of the Superman/Ali comic back then. It seems like every kid I knew had one of them, and the first Star Wars treasury, too.

Edited by jdandns
clarity

On 11/24/2021 at 9:52 AM, davidtere said:

I love your choice. I hope you don't mind if I contribute an additional image. 

144D78D1-53BF-493E-93E8-494CBEF32C7B.jpeg

Yes, thank you so much for the better picture. I wanted to show my own copy, but I found I only had that blurry shot of the front cover and no picture at all of the back cover. I had an incredibly cheap camera when I took the picture. I traded some football cards for my copy way back in 2000.

Here's the who's who key:

http://majorspoilers.com/2016/06/06/superman-vs-muhammad-ali-analysis-cover/

Some of the personalities, including John Wayne and Henry Winkler, were nixed for various reasons after Adams drew them.

Here's some backstory, courtesy of "Comic Book Artist" magazine:

https://twomorrows.com/comicbookartist/articles/spali.html

On 11/25/2021 at 11:02 AM, jimjum12 said:

I'm surprised this thread has gone 5 pages and no one has posted the book that actually IS the best cover of the BA. GOD BLESS...

-jimbo(a friend of jesus)(thumbsu

CONAN KS1  CGC 94.jpg

Thought about this one; even went so far as to put it in my post! But my Conan cover choice was on the Red Nails edition, and that pushed it over the top for me.

The more great covers that I see posted on this thread, the less respect I have for the Overstreet Price Guide and their glaring omissions of covers that should have the ‘classic cover’ designation.

it’s sad that this garbage Harley Quinn cover is denoted as a ‘classic cover’ in Overstreet, while almost all of the covers in this thread are not!

image.jpeg.711bb4e2a77eaf59a1552b0c55a49aff.jpeg