• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Jan Heritage Auction putting up some nice artwork
4 4

412 posts in this topic

On 1/8/2022 at 1:55 PM, BLUECHIPCOLLECTIBLES said:

I've seen things on people's refrigerators which were created by children but were nonetheless compelling to look at.  Many that I've seen had an equal "gut" quotient to me as any Rothko and some had far more

Sure, but the kid has no idea why he made something compelling, the intent isn't there as it is with the artist. Rothko is producing that quotient on purpose, not by happenstance.

I have no interest in Rothko. But if I win the cray cray lottery I would look to buy Moebius and Pollock first. I go nuts over Pollock (not every one, but some!). And it was planned and created to look that way, it isn't just a little of this and a little of that.

Nobody (or at least almost no one) cares about “planning.”   It’s the end result and whether it elicits a reaction. 

Kids’ art doesn’t get a reaction (unless it’s our own kid!) because we understand all kids draw that way.   

But for adults?   Whether it’s planned unplanned or in between, who cares. On a practical level it probably has to be planned for an adult because we don’t have that childlike freedom.

Edited by Bronty

Anybody else watch the recent activity in real time like I have been doing?  It is a fun exercise, watching bidding play out before the floor auction starts!  GI Joe just got raised, books, etc.  I keep the tab at the top of my laptop while I'm doing other stuff, and check it every little while.  It refreshes every minute automatically.  David

On 1/13/2022 at 9:31 AM, Bronty said:

Nobody (or at least almost no one) cares about “planning.”   It’s the end result and whether it elicits a reaction. 

Kids’ art doesn’t get a reaction (unless it’s our own kid!) because we understand all kids draw that way.   

But for adults?   Whether it’s planned unplanned or in between, who cares. On a practical level it probably has to be planned for an adult because we don’t have that childlike freedom.

You can look at anything as art, but to be an artist is to require intent.

On 1/8/2022 at 4:05 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Would be great if we can stick to the original topic of this thread…the Jan HA auction :whistle:

sorry, I bought a Buscema / Palmer page last week and am on the sidelines so I am just catching up now!

I love the Adkins Doc Strange cover, wish I could afford it. You young'uns go on with your GI Joe, I'd be drooling over this is money was no object!!!

…IT appears that some disloyalty has occurred against ARTSOC and someone has bid over the approved amount for a cover by “the average”.

People, I’m beginning to think you aren’t all as loyal to our noble crusade against “That-Other-Buscema” as you claim to be…

On 1/13/2022 at 1:39 PM, zhamlau said:

That Larsen page was nice, but dear god over 60k?!? It’s not from ASM, it’s a panel page at that. I can’t look at these prices and think “nostalgia” is a main force driving this. 

Congrats to the consignor.  The large Spidey and panel design give a splashy feel to the page but certainly a big number.

Edited by GreatEscape