• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2022
3 3

245 posts in this topic

Last update was a while ago, I had reached a total of 686 after the August Challenge reads. Let's see...

The Marvels 1-12
Marvels Snapshot Captain America/X-Men/FF/Spider-Man/Avengers/Captain Marvel/Civil War

As always, Kurt Busiek delivers, although I didn't like this as much as many of the other parts of the series. But subpar Busiek is better than 90% of the rest of the offerings, so it was still good.

Invincible Vol 1 TPB

Wanted to like this more than I did - I didn't dislike it, but it didn't grab me in the way I thought it might. Will continue on to see how it goes. 

Y: The Last Man 11-23

Still enjoying this, although it is probably my least favorite of the Brian K. Vaughan books I've read.

Amazing Spider-Man 171-193
Amazing Spider-Man Annual 2-11
Marvel Team Up 63-80
[Peter Parker] Spectacular Spider-Man 11-32

Continuing the reading thru of Spider-Man titles from the 70s.

Miracleman 11-16

Finished the Alan Moore issues, getting ready to read the Neil Gaiman ones, with the new release from Marvel of the end coming out now.

So if I've done the math right, I'm up to 801 total for the year.

On 11/9/2022 at 2:11 PM, ttfitz said:

Last update was a while ago, I had reached a total of 686 after the August Challenge reads. Let's see...

The Marvels 1-12
Marvels Snapshot Captain America/X-Men/FF/Spider-Man/Avengers/Captain Marvel/Civil War

As always, Kurt Busiek delivers, although I didn't like this as much as many of the other parts of the series. But subpar Busiek is better than 90% of the rest of the offerings, so it was still good.

Invincible Vol 1 TPB

Wanted to like this more than I did - I didn't dislike it, but it didn't grab me in the way I thought it might. Will continue on to see how it goes. 

Y: The Last Man 11-23

Still enjoying this, although it is probably my least favorite of the Brian K. Vaughan books I've read.

Amazing Spider-Man 171-193
Amazing Spider-Man Annual 2-11
Marvel Team Up 63-80
[Peter Parker] Spectacular Spider-Man 11-32

Continuing the reading thru of Spider-Man titles from the 70s.

Miracleman 11-16

Finished the Alan Moore issues, getting ready to read the Neil Gaiman ones, with the new release from Marvel of the end coming out now.

So if I've done the math right, I'm up to 801 total for the year.

I read full runs of both Invincible and Y the Last Man last year. Both certainly had their ups and downs, but overall I really enjoyed them both.

Continuing my JSA kick (and helped along by Black Adam) I'm now reading the second JSA omnibus by Geoff Johns. I decided to skip the first as I've read that one too many times. I'll read it last if I'm that desperate. It's up to its usual high quality, nothing has changed in my perception of the material. Classic team comics at their best. 

Highly recommended. 

Since I've nearly completed building the complete IDW Transformers collection, I've officially begun my re-read. I'm not a huge fan of the Phase 1 stuff, though there are some highlights to be sure. In this volume, I enjoy the "Spotlight" issues, but the "Infiltration" series set on earth, primarily focusing on poorly drawn human characters, was a chore. Good to know there are much better times ahead!

That should bring my total to right about 407.

IMG_0743.JPG

I'm up to 356 comics this year (could be more, depending on how much we count for manga, but not a big deal).

I wrapped up this series while on the road. Series definitely had its ups and downs. Far more ups, but once the time travel starts in, it's a real turn off. Similar to the Exiles series, some of the best parts of the series were the character interactions.

20221112_061809.jpg

Finished JSA by Geoff Johns omnibus volume 2. As good as always. My copy of the Teen Titans by Johns Omnibus arrived yesterday, and I actually haven't read a couple of the last issues of this run, so I'm going to start on that tomorrow, followed by a Secret Six reread. Secret Six was supposed to be next, but I've pushed it back for the Titans. It's such a fun run, and it's been far longer since I've read this material than Secret Six. 

And of course, JSA omni vol 2 is highly recommended. 

On 11/13/2022 at 9:45 AM, F For Fake said:

Since I've nearly completed building the complete IDW Transformers collection, I've officially begun my re-read. I'm not a huge fan of the Phase 1 stuff, though there are some highlights to be sure. In this volume, I enjoy the "Spotlight" issues, but the "Infiltration" series set on earth, primarily focusing on poorly drawn human characters, was a chore. Good to know there are much better times ahead!

That should bring my total to right about 407.

IMG_0743.JPG

Infiltration was so bad as a monthly read, but it reads much better as a trade. Escalation is where things really kick off (appropriate considering the name), then things escalate once more in Devastation, and then it's pretty much all over. I wasn't thrilled with Maximum Dinobots, and don't even get me started on All Hail Megatron. 

AHM Spoiler 

Spoiler

There's a scene consisting of Ratchet telling Prowl how Optimus is too far gone, he's not going to make it, it's just a matter of basically turning off his life support systems now. Then, I mess you not, the VERY NEXT PANEL features Optimus Prime get up out of bed and announce how good he feels. Just what the hell. 

And the ending is a literal deus ex machina thanks to Omega Supreme's sudden arrival from nowhere. Literally the worst of IDW. 

On 11/16/2022 at 1:20 PM, Cat said:

Infiltration was so bad as a monthly read, but it reads much better as a trade. Escalation is where things really kick off (appropriate considering the name), then things escalate once more in Devastation, and then it's pretty much all over. I wasn't thrilled with Maximum Dinobots, and don't even get me started on All Hail Megatron. 

AHM Spoiler 

Reveal hidden contents

There's a scene consisting of Ratchet telling Prowl how Optimus is too far gone, he's not going to make it, it's just a matter of basically turning off his life support systems now. Then, I mess you not, the VERY NEXT PANEL features Optimus Prime get up out of bed and announce how good he feels. Just what the hell. 

And the ending is a literal deus ex machina thanks to Omega Supreme's sudden arrival from nowhere. Literally the worst of IDW. 

It's an interesting re-read, because there are bits that I 100% remember reading before, and others that I don't recall at all. I got a bunch of the digital trades in a Humble Bundle many years ago, but I didn't understand the reading order AT ALL. it was such a convoluted mess, trying to figure out which books came in what order. Then, a couple of years later, there was ANOTHER Humble Bundle, and that carried me through most of Phase 2. And that was the stuff I really loved, MTMTE and RID. I don't remember a lot of the Phase 1 stuff, and that is most likely because I read it in a wacky order with likely many missing pieces. So I am really looking forward to reading the whole thing, from start to end, in something approaching a linear fashion. It's my understanding that the Collection HC's aren't 100% accurate themselves, kinda splitting the difference between publishing order and chronological order, but I think it'll probably be good enough for my needs.

On 11/17/2022 at 5:18 AM, F For Fake said:

It's an interesting re-read, because there are bits that I 100% remember reading before, and others that I don't recall at all. I got a bunch of the digital trades in a Humble Bundle many years ago, but I didn't understand the reading order AT ALL. it was such a convoluted mess, trying to figure out which books came in what order. Then, a couple of years later, there was ANOTHER Humble Bundle, and that carried me through most of Phase 2. And that was the stuff I really loved, MTMTE and RID. I don't remember a lot of the Phase 1 stuff, and that is most likely because I read it in a wacky order with likely many missing pieces. So I am really looking forward to reading the whole thing, from start to end, in something approaching a linear fashion. It's my understanding that the Collection HC's aren't 100% accurate themselves, kinda splitting the difference between publishing order and chronological order, but I think it'll probably be good enough for my needs.

Yep, you're right on them splitting it between publishing and chronological, it's weird how they chose to do it, but you adjust to it as you go along the volumes. 

I also love in Infiltration how it sets up the Autobot chain of command and their rigid rank system, meaning if Optimus were to die, no problem, there's candidates who should be able to slot straight in as leader. 

Spoiler

This of course, got promptly ignored by AHM where they were mostly leaderless, with Prowl and Jazz sharing leadership, the same Jazz who had clearly been of lesser rank than Prowl earlier. And then later in Costa's run when Bumblebee is elected, again ignoring the chain of command that already existed, and there was a later example too, after the Death Of Optimus One shot. 

It's a shame, as it was a really fresh idea showing the Autobots as an organised army instead of ragtag rebels. I'd like to see how it could have gone. 

Alright, finished the Teen Titans by Geoff Johns omnibus. A strong start, but it falters by the end when half the cast is dragged away from him (although some of that was probably his choice, so my sympathy is fleeting). I can see why I dropped the comic when I did. 

Now onto a Secret Six reread, something I'm sure to enjoy, as I absolutely LOVE this series. I'd recommend it to anyone wanting something a bit 'naughty' from DC, to see the villains in control. But as you'll see, maybe even a villain can have their moment of charity? Can't they? 

And away we go! 

Previous count, 801. In this update:

Amazing Spider-Man 194-200
Amazing Spider-Man Annual 13
Marvel Team Up 81-89
[Peter Parker] Spectacular Spider-Man 33-40, Annual 1

Working my way thru the 70s, finally made it to 1980, so shifted gears to:

Fantastic Four 158-175

Some interesting tales in this period, along with some very early George Perez art. The Bronze Age reading continues!

That's it this time, so let's see, ... 845 I believe.

Gonna need to pick up the pace in December, it seems.

Brief update, just to see where I am. Last time the count was 845

Fantastic Four 176-183

Continuing with my attack on the Bronze Age, with more early George Perez, both here and ....

Avengers 136-155, Annual 6

Picking up some of those Avengers that I skipped the last time a made a run thru the title.

Looks like 874 for the year. Yikes, it's gonna be rough to hit 1000 this year....:whatthe:

Edited by ttfitz

Tried to cram in some seasonal reading before the year ends. the DC Rebirth Holiday trade was a bit of a snooze, very hit or miss. The apocalypse-themed DC Holiday Nightmares was more my cup of tea. Fairly dark, not exactly heartwarming, but the stories definitely more interesting. And finally had to pack in this Archie digest, offering up several stories reaching back 8 decades! I like digests and this is a fat little book, but to keep it cheap ($9.99 cover, which means I got it for about $6) the paper is like kleenex! Oh well, you get what you pay for.

This brings my 2022 total to 449, an embarrassing sum. I will be a better comic reader in 2023, so help me!

IMG_1536.JPG

IMG_1517.JPG

JUL211337.jpg

I'll end the year around 400 comics read. A respectable number for me. 600 last year, but less than 300 the year before.

HOWEVER, I think the 400 number is a bit misleading. I'm almost done reading the manga series Berserk, having just finished volume 35. I read all 35 volumes this year, plus other stuff. For "comic counting" purposes, I count these as 3 comics each. These are 200+ pages each. Depending on how many comics these "count" as, I could be up another 150 comics.

But it's not about getting to 1,000. I'll never get to 1,000 comics a year unless I retire. I just enjoy reading comics, and shooting for 1,000 and tracking my count helps keep track of what I've read.

On 12/18/2022 at 6:10 PM, ttfitz said:

Looks like 874 for the year. Yikes, it's gonna be rough to hit 1000 this year....:whatthe:

It's not looking good, guys...

Marjorie Finnegan Temporal Criminal 1-8

Another fun little outing from Garth Ennis, soon to be a Major Motion Picture™!

Fantastic Four 184-207, Annual 11-13

Just keep on keeping on....

Avengers 156-166, 178-187, Annual 8

Ditto...:)

Let's see, looks like... 931. hm

On 12/26/2022 at 9:10 PM, srezvan said:

HOWEVER, I think the 400 number is a bit misleading. I'm almost done reading the manga series Berserk, having just finished volume 35. I read all 35 volumes this year, plus other stuff. For "comic counting" purposes, I count these as 3 comics each. These are 200+ pages each. Depending on how many comics these "count" as, I could be up another 150 comics.

I think it's fair to count in "comic book equivalents." At the very least you could translate to the bigger Annual size issues of a standard comic, and nobody would complain. (Not that anyone is going to complain regardless, haha)

I read quite a bit this year but didn't really track anything. Think i'll play along next year and track stuff better this coming year. Congratulations to the people on their reading accomplishments. It's nice to see what people like and peoples different taste in books. I'll definently be leaning towards Marvel in my reading choices. Getting my digital library prepped for the upcoming year :banana: