• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

1000 books in 2022
3 3

245 posts in this topic

157-183

Batman One Dark Knight 1-3 I love Jocks art and the story was pretty good as well. Im pretty sure this is his first time writing a story. There was one spot in the story that was not well done story wise, but it needed to happen to set up the characters next move.

Hulk 1-6 I love Ryan Ottley and this was a action packed fun read!!

Detective Comics 412 This is one of my favorite Neal Adams covers! Decent story too!

Department of Truth 1-17 I enjoy a good Conspiracy theory and Tynion really uses all of them to weave a Great story. I recommend this title!

IMG_9510.jpeg

IMG_9511.jpeg

Scan 2022-7-26 20.41.15.jpg

IMG_9531.jpeg

On 8/6/2022 at 5:37 PM, ttfitz said:

Bloop! I don't think I've read this, but am a big fan of Astounding Space Thrills. Also Steve Conley, great guy.

Fun little black and white comic (available on My Comic Shop.com). Steve is a great guy. Met him my first time at Baltimore comic con 2015 with a copy to be signed, he did a double take and said, "Wow someone actually read that!" He added for free a remark on my jam for the day but had to apologize because he only had a pencil on him for drawing. I bought this second copy from My Comic Shop so I can get is signature series CGC come Baltimore this year only to my surprise, it is already signed. Third time's the charm I hope.

Sorry for the Voldemort but I didn't realize back then if you had a witness they could add several to one book and in all honesty, I didn't have the time (only 1 day pass and 5 hours of driving back home that night. Plus, I could have it verified after the fact. 

image.png.b64c257d1f4492b53c4c44cebc7534ec.png 

On 8/6/2022 at 5:55 PM, cgcsketcherz said:

Fun little black and white comic (available on My Comic Shop.com). Steve is a great guy. Met him my first time at Baltimore comic con 2015 with a copy to be signed, he did a double take and said, "Wow someone actually read that!"

Haha, yeah, I've known Steve for a long time, we both were members of the Compuserve Comics and Animation forum back in the day. Saw him at Baltimore one year, and he said something similar when I talked about how much I loved Astounding Space Thrills. Discovered we were practically neighbors - we shopped at the same Giant Food store, in fact - and somehow had never run into each other (he's since moved). Always enjoy talking to him at Baltimore every year.

Hopelessly behind on my reading, and no way I'm going to catch up, but I did read a few things. I finally read the two Nocturnals Omnibii that I recently picked up. I am pretty sure I have read all of these stories over the years. Nocturnals' history is an odd one. Started in the mid-90's, has wandered across several publishers (from Malibu to Oni to Dark Horse, etc) and a variety of formats. By my counting it comes out to about 19 issues, give or take.

For starters, I still love Brereton's artwork, and it is perfectly suited for this Halloweeny mash-up of monsters and gangsters. It's a fun read, though it can get a little monotonous at time. The real joy is in the beautiful artwork and awesome creature/character designs. It's a very ORANGE series. Not necessarily the best writing, but a fun concept with fun characters, and well worth a look.

I also read the latest issue of Alien (which is still terrible), the latest Hellboy one-shot (slight, but always fun to dip into this territory again), and Vampirella...uh, I mean, Vampiress Carmilla!

All in all, i feel like I've gotten a head start on my Halloween reading!

This brings me up to about 305 on the year. Ugh.

IMG_8556.JPG

IMG_8696.JPG

IMG_8697.JPG

286 previously....

So I forgot to post the Week 2 of my Challenge reading, so this is week's 2 and 3.

Spawn 41-117

Getting a little tired of Spawn, I may be done with that for now, not really sure.

Amazing Spider-Man 41-120, Annual 3-5, 8-9
Marvel Team Up #1-8

Lots of classic moments in this run of ASM. I may stop with Spider-Man, too, I don't know. I mean, nothing really happens in ASM after issue #120, right? hm

Umbrella Academy Dallas 1-6

Enjoyed this a lot, but not as much as the first series. Still worth continuing with the third.

Strangers in Paradise 25-48

Things really got going in high gear with these - not that the earlier issues weren't amazing. And issue #43 reminded me of what an evil, evil man Terry Moore can be.

Okay, that's it for now, up to 486 for the year.

Previous count was 486.

Once again, I was too busy trying to get thru 100 issues each week for the 100 Back Issues a Week Challenge to post an update after week 4, so here is a 2 week update - Spoiler warning, I completed the Challenge. :banana:

Hulk 449
Thunderbolts - 1,0, 1-52
Thunderbolts '97, Ann 2000
Avengers v3 #12,32-34
Captain America /Citizen V' 98

As I expected, I decided to stop reading Spawn, at least for a while Started up with the 1997 title, Thunderbolts, and assorted associated issues. As with most things done by Kurt Busiek, it was really great, once the writing was turned over to Fabian Nicieza, not so much. I may continue on with this at some point, particularly since I think makes a return at some point.

Y: The Last Man 1-10

Last year, my daughter and I read Paper Girls; the year before it was Saga. So this year for our BKV fix we thought, Y not? Some good reading here, looking forward to seeing where things go.

Miracleman 1-10

With Marvel looking to FINALLY print Neil Gaiman's Miracleman: The Silver Age, my daughter thought she'd give this title a try, and I would read/reread it. This early Alan Moore work is pretty good, and I'm looking forward to continuing this title in the future.

Amazing Spider-Man 121-170
Giant Sized Spider-Man 1-5
Marvel Team Up 9-62
[Peter Parker] Spectacular Spider-Man 1-5, 7-10

Nobody laughed at my "nothing much happens after 120" joke, so I continued on with my Spider-Man reading. I found it very interesting that, even though I knew what was coming with things like the events of #121 and #144, I found I was still shocked by them. Very interesting response.  At the point I have reached, we are in the 1976-1977 time period, otherwise known as when I started high school aka "taking a break from comics" so I will likely continue on with this as there is a few years worth of stuff that I don't think I've read at all.

Okay, so with this additional 200 issues read, the new total stands at 686!

My comic reading has slowed this summer, but it's finally time for an update on my reading all of Cerebus project for 2022...

Finished reading through Cerebus #270.  Only 30 issues to go.

Cerebus_loading_90.jpg.86eec518cf740ae8c4427b26a4d7f033.jpg

Storyline recaps in spoiler tags below...

Spoiler
Guys - Enjoyable storyline where Cerebus holed up in a bar with characters from the Beatles and Bear - who is maybe his best friend who was featured in earlier storylines when Cerebus was prime minister and pope.

Rick's Story - Also enjoyed this story of Cerebus' great love's (Jaka) former husband who is now a novelist visiting the bar where Cerebus is feeling trapped.  He ends up writing about Cerebus as a religious icon which will come into play in his Latter Days.

Going Home - The beginning of this storyline was great.  Cerebus and Jaka finally happy together and heading back to where Cerebus grew up.  Their journey on a barge with a famous writer modeled after F. Scott Fitzgerald was enjoyable as well.

The next part of Going Home not that interesting as it's about two characters modeled after Ernest Hemingway and his last wife with their time hunting in Africa featured prominently.

But then the story returns focus to Cerebus and Jaka again.  But ultimately leads to an unfortunate, abrupt conclusion when Cerebus returns home.

Starting Latter Days.  Fun short stories so far with the latest featuring three zealots based on the Three Stooges with some beautiful ornate art.

Cerebus269.thumb.jpg.2976c71775246b593c982c19b1240e09.jpg

I am woefully far behind. With this latest addition, I believe I'm up to about 350 for the year. Yikes!

Doomsday Clock Vol 1 & 2 (comes to 12 issues) - There is a part of me that is very much in the "Can we just leave Watchmen alone?" camp. It is a great piece that stands on its own, and it cheapens the legacy a bit to have it constantly trotted out, and now tied into DC's larger marketing events like 52. Meh. That being said, as a story unto itself, it wasn't terrible, and I do like Gary Frank's artwork quite a bit. I'd say the first half was nothing exceptional, but the second half became significantly more interesting, as it tied more directly into the real "meaning" and significance of Superman. So, not terrible, I enjoyed parts of it, but, again, let's leave Watchmen alone, ok? (That being said, I loved the HBO television series, and found it a truly fitting sequel to the book.)

The Amazing Spider-Man - Penguin Classics Library: So, we've all read these story multiple times, though, for me, I'd guess it's probably been 15 years or so since I've read the Ditko stuff. It's always so interesting to be reminded of just how odd those early issues were. The Ditko/Lee Peter Parker was kind of a jerk, a real anti-social hothead. Ditko's worlds are filled with paranoia and weirdos, and honestly, it makes Spider-man all the more interesting. These volume is beautifully printed and bound, nice large margins, lovely paper. The problem is that is skips around a bit like a "greatest hits" version of the early stuff. If you're looking for a pure chronological Spidey volume, save those pennies for the upcoming reprint of the Marvel Masterworks volumes. Most interesting here were the scholarly essays that preface the stories, along with the descriptions of the events between the selected issues. I'm all for a scholarly discourse and appreciation of the books. These new pieces, in particular, don't really break new ground, or really illuminate anything new that most of us haven't read about for decades. Still, it's always nice to read a sincere appreciation of the material.

IMG_9468.JPG

Edited by F For Fake

Been awhile since I've updated.  I've reached my goal though! Well on my way to 1500 for the year!

The stuff that stood out to me this round would be the Joe Golem Omnibus, The Call of Cthulu,  Fantastic Four Full Circle and One Bad Day: The Riddler. 

8/1/22 - 9/28/22

MARVEL

-Amazing Spider-Man #5 - 6(900), 7

-Venom: Lethal Protector #5

-Carnage #5-6

-Fantastic Four: Full Circle #1

-Predator #1

DC

-Batman: Killing Time #6

-Batman: One Bad Day: The Riddler #1

-Rogues #3

-Poison Ivy 3-4

-Batman: One Bad Day: Two-Face #1

INDIE/VINTAGE

-Gantz #146-193

-Magic: The Hidden Planeswalker #4

-Pumpkin Knight #1-65, 6.5, 12.5, 19.5, 33.5, 43.5

-Junji Ito's Blood Slurping Darkness

-Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Falling Sky

-Berserk #20

-Hack/Slash: Ressurection #1-2

-Hack/Slash: Girls Gone Dead #1

-The Ice Cream Man #1-7

-Blood Stained Teeth #2

-Magic: Ajani Goldmane #1

-H. P. Lovecraft's Call of Cthulu #1-7

-H. P. Lovecraft's Shadow Out of Time #0-1

-Shock Shop #1

-Cradle of Filth #2-3

-Twig #2-3

-Magic #1

-That Texas Blood #1

-The Color Out of Space #1-6

-Phantasmagoria #1

-Stuff of Nightmares #1

-Creepshow #1

-Sgt. Werewolf #1

TPBs/GRAPHIC NOVELS

-The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curios Objects. (1)

-Superman: Return of Doomsday (Steel #1, Outsiders #37, JLA #55, Superman/Batman Annual #5, Superboy #6) (5)

-Joe Golem: Occult Detective (The Rat Catcher #1-3, The Sunken Dead #1-3, The Outer Dark #1-3, Flesh and Blood #1-2, The Drowning City #1-5, The Conjurers #1-5) (21)

-Zombie World: Tree of Death #1

-Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu

TOTAL: 202

2022 TOTAL: 1109

Finished reading my Question omni, the first time I've read these since the trades came (and quickly went.) Still love this series. It is the very definition of the 80's "grim and gritty" DC style. There aren't many sympathetic characters, who live in a seemingly hopeless world of corruption. O'Neil was doing his best attempt at hard-boiled crime, and Cowan's art remains kinetic and exciting. Can't say the stories are a ton of fun, but they're still pretty great. Desperately hope we get another volume to finish out the series.

30 issues, brings me to 380 for the year. Woefully far behind!

image.jpeg

In honor of the season, I thought I'd better get some horror books in before Halloween arrives. I last read these stories back when the omnis came out, so that was, what, 10-12 years ago? So, I'm not sure how much better this recent restoration is, but it DOES look lovely. My feelings about the material haven't really changed: Gene Colan is great, no question. Storywise, it takes a while for the title to figure out what it wants to do. The time period, the supporting characters, the approach to the title character, that is largely in flux for this entire book. Around the time Marv Wolfman shows up, things start to straighten out, and by the last couple of issues, we seem to have a vision for the title. If memory serves, it should really start hitting its stride when the next volume comes out.

This brings my total to about 391.

IMG_0380.JPG

As I'm reading a long run, I haven't been updating here after every issue. I just finished volume 27 of Berserk. Volume 41, the last volume by the original creator who died recently, comes out soon. I'll finish out the series and 1 spinoff issue, then see what's going on with new volumes. Counting Manga as 3 comics, I'm up to 338 comics this year.

20221102_062818.thumb.jpg.ed2cb81d942e5e025056a1679f5eeda1.jpg

Currently doing a reread of the 70's All-Star Comics run, the ones that debuted Power Girl, in the hardcover that came out a few years ago. It's a massive upgrade from the karpy old tpbs DC had previously released, and this hardcover reprint presents nicely. It was worth the double-dip. The material is guite good, of course. 70's DC was trying, and this was certainly one of the better attempts I've read. It's not far off the quality of Marvel of that era. And who doesn't love Wslly Wood art? 

7.5/10

On 9/28/2022 at 7:32 PM, kccoig14 said:

Been awhile since I've updated.  I've reached my goal though! Well on my way to 1500 for the year!

The stuff that stood out to me this round would be the Joe Golem Omnibus, The Call of Cthulu,  Fantastic Four Full Circle and One Bad Day: The Riddler. 

8/1/22 - 9/28/22

MARVEL

-Amazing Spider-Man #5 - 6(900), 7

-Venom: Lethal Protector #5

-Carnage #5-6

-Fantastic Four: Full Circle #1

-Predator #1

DC

-Batman: Killing Time #6

-Batman: One Bad Day: The Riddler #1

-Rogues #3

-Poison Ivy 3-4

-Batman: One Bad Day: Two-Face #1

INDIE/VINTAGE

-Gantz #146-193

-Magic: The Hidden Planeswalker #4

-Pumpkin Knight #1-65, 6.5, 12.5, 19.5, 33.5, 43.5

-Junji Ito's Blood Slurping Darkness

-Hellboy and the B.P.R.D.: Falling Sky

-Berserk #20

-Hack/Slash: Ressurection #1-2

-Hack/Slash: Girls Gone Dead #1

-The Ice Cream Man #1-7

-Blood Stained Teeth #2

-Magic: Ajani Goldmane #1

-H. P. Lovecraft's Call of Cthulu #1-7

-H. P. Lovecraft's Shadow Out of Time #0-1

-Shock Shop #1

-Cradle of Filth #2-3

-Twig #2-3

-Magic #1

-That Texas Blood #1

-The Color Out of Space #1-6

-Phantasmagoria #1

-Stuff of Nightmares #1

-Creepshow #1

-Sgt. Werewolf #1

TPBs/GRAPHIC NOVELS

-The Amazing Screw-On Head and Other Curios Objects. (1)

-Superman: Return of Doomsday (Steel #1, Outsiders #37, JLA #55, Superman/Batman Annual #5, Superboy #6) (5)

-Joe Golem: Occult Detective (The Rat Catcher #1-3, The Sunken Dead #1-3, The Outer Dark #1-3, Flesh and Blood #1-2, The Drowning City #1-5, The Conjurers #1-5) (21)

-Zombie World: Tree of Death #1

-Junji Ito's Cat Diary: Yon & Mu

TOTAL: 202

2022 TOTAL: 1109

Congrats on the milestone