• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

2022 GOLDEN AGE COMIC BOOK MARKET REPORT
8 8

328 posts in this topic

On 6/16/2022 at 7:16 PM, sfcityduck said:

Celsius is the current poster child. It has frozen $11.8 billion in customer assets.  Celsius customers can't buy comics even if they wanted.

Add Babel Crypto exchange to the growing list of SEC unregulated rehypothacated ponzi scheme scams.

If you don’t own the wallet, you don’t own the coins.

Back to comics, liquidity means money in your pocket ready to spend.

The willingness to part with cash for comics is in question.

Or will there be a crack up boom?

Spend the dollars now because they will be worth less later.

On 6/17/2022 at 9:44 AM, tabcom said:

Add Babel Crypto exchange to the growing list of SEC unregulated rehypothacated ponzi scheme scams.

If you don’t own the wallet, you don’t own the coins.

Back to comics, liquidity means money in your pocket ready to spend.

The willingness to part with cash for comics is in question.

Or will there be a crack up boom?

Spend the dollars now because they will be worth less later.

So might the books. Regarding the financial storm we are trudging thru, Warren Buffett said it best: 

‘When the tide goes out, you get to see who is swimming naked."

To continue buying books, or not. it’s a conundrum wrapped up in an enigma 

Edited by GreatCaesarsGhost

On 6/17/2022 at 8:13 AM, GreatCaesarsGhost said:

So might the books. Regarding the financial storm we are trudging thru, Warren Buffett said it best: 

‘When the tide goes out, you get to see who is swimming naked."

To continue buying books, or not. it’s a conundrum wrapped up in an enigma 

Buy what you like at a price you can live with and you will probably never be sorry. 

On 6/16/2022 at 4:16 PM, sfcityduck said:

There are several major logic flaws in this analysis.

First, Bitcoin is now down 70% from its high in November. It is an 18 month low. And it is bottoming out due, in part, to inflation fears - which does not bode well for an "investment" that was marketed as a hedge against inflation. So it is highly unlikely that Bitcoin owners are cashing out now to re-invest in other assets. Instead, they are liquidating in order to cut their losses, fund their lives, and pay their debts. Other crypto currencies are much worse off. Terra and Luna are worthless.  Owners of those are losing their houses. There have been single days where crypto owners have lost over $200 Billion - in a single day! 

Second, the only way anyone accepts crypto today is through intermediaries who immediately sell the asset upon receipt. The way it works is Metro says the price on a comic is $100K.  The buyer sends Bitcoin, for example, to an exchange who immediately sell it to get a cash dollar amount.  The exchange then sends $100K to Metro and any excess amount back to the payee. Problem is, crypto exchanges aren't letting investors cash out.  Celsius is the current poster child. It has frozen $11.8 billion in customer assets.  Celsius customers can't buy comics even if they wanted.

Third, the other reason no one accepts crypto except through intermediaries is that crypto is too erratic. Metro could accept the equivalent of $100K in Bitcoin on Monday and if they held on Tuesday that Bitcoin could only be worth $80K. And if Metro is using an exchange, they may accept crypto, but they will likely build into their price structure a premium to cover the exchange's percentage. So crypto is the opposite of a cash discount.

So I really don't see a crypto CRASH enhancing the value of comics. It's sort of ridiculous to claim a crypto boom increases comic demand AND a crypto crash increases comic demand. The logic of the first assertion is that a crypto boom increases cash flow, the logic of the second assertion is that a crypto crash ... increases cash flow?  Really does not make sense.

I do not see flaws, just a general  disagreement  of  of what is  occuring and when.

1-Agreed Crypto is 70% down with bitcoin under 21K from a high of 67K.  There are sellers and buyers of Bitcoin every day, currently there are more sellers than buyers hence excess supply is bringing the price of Crypto across the board down significantly . Given the overall negative downtrend of the stock market, the extreme volatility of bond and commodity markets, the stability of the GA/SA key and semi-key market will get the attention of those exiting all markets but especially Crypto with its huge paper losses, and thru as the current HA.Com Signature Auction is heading towards another 20 Million dollar plus result in real time today, we do not see the 70% Crypto and 30% stock market haircuts that those markets are currently experiencing. This market GA/SA amazing  price stability has to be reflected with new money coming in to keep the market in its current state of price stability especially on the higher end books of the Ga/SA comic book world. The money is going somewhere and our current market stability will get some of those fund exit runoffs.

2-Money is money, the fact that Meto the largest retailer of higher end GA/SA books will accept it, either directly or thru a exchange is a major plus factor for someone who can now easily exit the downtrending Crypto and with a flick of switch be into outstanding Ga/SA....it is a very positive thing for our GA/SA market sustain current price levels. With the daily uncertainly of course that exchange availability will be subject to change and conditions. If the market recovers look for those holders who have held on for deal life, to cash out and come to stability of CGC graded GS/SA.

3-yes it is a up and down market, which within minutes can change, I see the fact that the customer would be responsible for the dollar sale amount the buyers responsibility to get that exact amount to Metro...I dont see a issue with that.

4- A Crypto crash is not increasing the value of comic books, it is stabilizing the very market itself from serious price correction every other investment market is experiencing including real esate ...keeping the current Ga/SA resale market by increasing demand for those books as the type of investor in Crypto is not the 65 year old retirement person living in  a Florida retirement home community, but a hip, current market  and in many instances new investor all together who thinks that the MCU is super cool.......and can relate to GA/SA as a true investment alternative.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 6/17/2022 at 11:41 AM, tabcom said:

855850516_ScreenShot2022-06-17at2_35_28PM.png.b5f95148e49d94a8032465f4dd2eb822.png

390365246_ScreenShot2022-06-17at2_34_13PM.thumb.png.fe5631b65fa36ee2732e03f673d16297.png

852346582_ScreenShot2022-06-17at2_35_03PM.thumb.png.f2263f464921cb60bdec45bfb0581056.png

1769693636_ScreenShot2022-06-17at2_36_25PM.thumb.png.1e556aa26ec29decfa074bc712514c0b.png

On costs basis you should have to add sales tax, plus shipping/insurance....here in Calif you would add like 10% to the sales price for actual cost and the current  Ha auction at 20.4 M and counting is going  to break 22 M when over which is pretty amazing given the economic headwinds....with another day to go

Edited by Mmehdy

I always find it interesting to see the speculation of those who have no skin in the crypto game, downplaying it's efficacy.  I do, to a reasonably large extent, and am averaging down my cost of BTC right now. Personally and speaking only for myself, I would have absolutely no reason to encounter an actual loss in selling my Bitcoin investment, or any part of it, in order to buy ancient comic books.  It provides a weekly income stream, which is not something a tangible collectible asset can do, at least that I'm aware of.

Keep in mind that the stock market has hundreds of virtually worthless penny stocks, just as the crypto market has valueless "coins".  

The overall market corrections are even hitting Southern California residential Real Estate listings, with sellers now cutting their asking prices.

All markets fluctuate with continual ups and downs, so this is nothing new.  

Remember the old saw, "buy when everyone else is selling"?

$24,262,303.00 final Ha todays  total....is simply an amazing  final auction total number despite rough economic seas which currently abound . I think there is some spill off from the exit from those financial choices to GA/SA from those other markets in flux. This is a very good sign that the GA/SA market is very stable now and in the future.

Edited by Mmehdy

On 6/16/2022 at 3:10 PM, Bookery said:

I use a combination of GPAnalysis (esp. for bigger-priced items, and then I adjust my own formula for raw books) and Key Collector (less valuable items and certain variants) and sometimes cross-link directly with eBay sales.  This latest updating involved over 800 value-line changes.  In my area, sellers expect high percentages for their collections.  I can't afford to be behind, esp. on falling prices, or I won't be in business for long.  In the old days, it wasn't that big a deal... adjust a couple of times per year.  Now, the markets are so volatile it takes up a huge amount of time.  I last updated in April and figured I was good through summer.  But in the past few weeks values for many issues have fallen so fast that I had to do another update already.

You make being a comic store owner sound like work! :ohnoez:

On 6/20/2022 at 9:58 AM, Robot Man said:

16C971EE-7C92-495C-91AE-007EF0337781.jpeg

Bubble Rap 

Gotta pocket Crypto purse ridin' like a hearse 

Envy visible wallet with a crystal ball to call it

Wheels on all the coin prime cuts to Sir Loin

Bitza liquid money taste nothin' like the honey

Token cash for comics hard workin' ego-nomics

Throw'n shade boom or bust fuelin' rumor lust

Doll czars all well spent to feed the guber mint

1242709834_poppingbubble.thumb.jpg.5f6b360024b9fee681da9fb1da9c9552.jpg

My weird sense of humor at work & play here ..... :fear:

Edited by Cat-Man_America
Ale & bubble added!

On 6/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, Mmehdy said:

$24,262,303.00 final Ha todays  total....is simply an amazing  final auction total number despite rough economic seas which currently abound . I think there is some spill off from the exit from those financial choices to GA/SA from those other markets in flux. This is a very good sign that the GA/SA market is very stable now and in the future.

I don't know as much about other collectibles but it seems if memory serves that when there's been dips in the market comics have held steady or even increased, at least initially

On 6/19/2022 at 3:29 PM, Mmehdy said:

Until it isn't, which is likely going to be creeping up fast.