• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

534 posts in this topic

On 3/2/2022 at 1:49 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Looks like we’ve settled on 963 OA lots for this auction.  With so much goodness, I’ve whittled down my ‘must have’ list to 27 pieces.

I'm waiting for the 38 Garfield straps to be added so it pushes the total over 1000 for this auction.  

Heritage just ran the auction of the Bobby G. Murphy Collection, which featured lots of great comic strip art.

I had my eyes set on a Terry & The Pirates strip dated 11/22/1934, as I have the next day's strip (11/23/1934) (reproduced here)

586503806_CaniffTerrythePiratesOA1934_11_23.thumb.jpg.8a3d945649f1d7d34c324e16ff423636.jpg

and really wanted to be able to put them together.  I was prepared to be aggressive and was highly confident I would win it.

Pfft!  $15,600!  I wasn't even in the running!  :tonofbricks:

On 3/10/2022 at 7:16 PM, tth2 said:

Heritage just ran the auction of the Bobby G. Murphy Collection, which featured lots of great comic strip art.

I had my eyes set on a Terry & The Pirates strip dated 11/22/1934, as I have the next day's strip (11/23/1934) (reproduced here)

586503806_CaniffTerrythePiratesOA1934_11_23.thumb.jpg.8a3d945649f1d7d34c324e16ff423636.jpg

and really wanted to be able to put them together.  I was prepared to be aggressive and was highly confident I would win it.

Pfft!  $15,600!  I wasn't even in the running!  :tonofbricks:

Prices are on fire :whatthe:

On 3/11/2022 at 10:16 PM, batman_fan said:

Prices are on fire :whatthe:

I had hoped that comic strips that haven't run in decades would be unknown to the crazy money Black Spidey-obsessed crowd and therefore would continue to fly relatively under the radar.  :frown:

On 3/11/2022 at 8:44 AM, tth2 said:

I had hoped that comic strips that haven't run in decades would be unknown to the crazy money Black Spidey-obsessed crowd and therefore would continue to fly relatively under the radar.  :frown:

The new rule is if it has ink and is on paper, it is worth $$$$$

On 3/13/2022 at 4:28 AM, Infamouspure22 said:

ASM 252 page at 100k seems much more understandable than SW8 over 3mil.

Still insane though lol

That single other zeck page from that auction which went for $225k was also crazy high, I wonder if it was the same person as the 3.3 million person?

1. Coming up in April the Buscema Thor 182 cover and the Layton ASM 220 cover back up for auction after just “selling” at auction in 2021.

Gets me to thinking. If these weren’t bought by dealers last year, 

*Are collectors buying art out of love anymore (over $1000) ?

*Are these two covers simple flips based on the last HA auction result(s)?

*I know the other nefarious speculations about art bidding in general 😀 

I already have my answers based on gut instinct, not to mention  a few years of experiential behavior to dissect. Here  is a face palm:facepalm: for the first boardie to speculate that putting the pieces back up so quickly is due to

• buyers remorse

• unforeseen financial calamity 

I’m not saying that doesn’t happen. I am saying it’s one of the top excuses used for quick turnaround resales.

I remember what the Thor cover sold for. I thought as a fan of that cover I would’ve been a player in 2010 if I saw it come up at say $20k. Then last year it sells and my thoughts are how many true fans of that cover would be able to buy it should it come up again. Well here it is:

What I’m getting at is when we blow past nostalgia, pure agreed upon artistic excellence(impossible)or whatever it is sans dirty greedy speculation...... what we may all be left holding is varying degrees of untenable risk. A few of us will be insulated but a great many will be exposed.

Look I’m having a Margin Call moment right now. Not for me but for some of you. I’m old enough to be the guy who didn’t have enough time to finish the risk analysis before security showed him the door. Somebody smarter than me will have to take my flash drive and cryptic models along with the warning, “ Be Careful.” They’ll have to plug in the proper algorithms to determine proper VAR to avoid getting pennies on the dollar in a sell off.

I never want to see that Zeck Secret Wars page come up for auction again during my lifetime. Can we trust the current investor/collector pool not to panic should that page auction off a second time and at a considerable loss?

Can you imagine a 4 am shadow meeting where two brothers fly in on the 😎 - - - helicopter and land on the 50th floor to meet with all the other connected Bristol board vampires. It’s the final day of the Secret Wars Black Costume 🕷-Man second go around auction. Stalled out around $400,000 with no promise of the late fireworks that gave us the 3.3M first time around, the secret cabals convene.

“I need you to layoff all the art by 12 eastern. Price it to sell. Everything will look like a bargain compared to the black costume Spider-Man page when it sold the first time. Sell the entire portfolio. List prices on everything. Outbound only no swaps.”

List prices? No Inquire? Do you know what that will do to the market? We’ll never be able to sell art to these clients again once they realize....”

:whistle:

”What choice do we have?”