• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage April Auction
6 6

534 posts in this topic

On 3/13/2022 at 7:19 PM, grapeape said:
  1. Coming up in April the Buscema Thor 182 cover and the Layton ASM 220 cover back up for auction after just “selling” at auction in 2021.

Gets me to thinking. If these weren’t bought by dealers last year, 

*Are collectors buying art out of love anymore (over $1000) ?

*Are these two covers simple flips based on the last HA auction result(s)?

*I know the other nefarious speculations about art bidding in general 😀 

I already have my answers based on gut instinct, not to mention  a few years of experiential behavior to dissect. Here  is a face palm:facepalm: for the first boardie to speculate that putting the pieces back up so quickly is due to

• buyers remorse

• unforeseen financial calamity 

I’m not saying that doesn’t happen. I am saying it’s one of the top excuses used for quick turnaround resales.

I remember what the Thor cover sold for. I thought as a fan of that cover I would’ve been a player in 2010 if I saw it come up at say $20k. Then last year it sells and my thoughts are how many true fans of that cover would be able to buy it should it come up again. Well here it is:

What I’m getting at is when we blow past nostalgia, pure agreed upon artistic excellence(impossible)or whatever it is sans dirty greedy speculation...... what we may all be left holding is varying degrees of untenable risk. A few of us will be insulated but a great many will be exposed.

Look I’m having a Margin Call moment right now. Not for me but for some of you. I’m old enough to be the guy who didn’t have enough time to finish the risk analysis before security showed him the door. Somebody smarter than me will have to take my flash drive and cryptic models along with the warning, “ Be Careful.” They’ll have to plug in the proper algorithms to determine proper VAR to avoid getting pennies on the dollar in a sell off.

I never want to see that Zeck Secret Wars page come up for auction again during my lifetime. Can we trust the current investor/collector pool not to panic should that page auction off a second time and at a considerable loss?

Can you imagine a 4 am shadow meeting where two brothers fly in on the 😎 - - - helicopter and land on the 50th floor to meet with all the other connected Bristol board vampires. It’s the final day of the Secret Wars Black Costume 🕷-Man second go around auction. Stalled out around $400,000 with no promise of the late fireworks that gave us the 3.3M first time around, the secret cabals convene.

“I need you to layoff all the art by 12 eastern. Price it to sell. Everything will look like a bargain compared to the black costume Spider-Man page when it sold the first time. Sell the entire portfolio. List prices on everything. Outbound only no swaps.”

List prices? No Inquire? Do you know what that will do to the market? We’ll never be able to sell art to these clients again once they realize....”

:whistle:

”What choice do we have?” 

I must be getting old, but I’m missing your point. Right now, there is a boom market, and lots of people know it. Sell now, because booms are often followed by busts. You can see it in the high volume of things set for auction. But, even factoring in booms and busts, the trend still points up—on very good popular subject art, high collector interest art (e.g., mediocre Sandman pages), and name-artist art. Whether that is carrying up the other stuff a little or a lot, I don’t know. We seem to still be on the upside of the boom, but as oil prices rise, and wars continue, that may well change. Or, inflation could continue to drive prices up as OA acts as an inflation hedge. 

This is what happens when you buy tulips for investment. Some of those buyers, I bet, made a lot of money and quit while they were ahead. You can be a bull or a bear, but only the hogs get slaughtered. Thankfully, a lot of hobbyists maintain a sense of proportionality and will have only bought their tulips for a little show. The ones who I suspect are really at risk are dumb-dumbs who buy without investigating what they are getting (“Nossir, I really thought it was the first Venom”), or collector-dealers who see this as easy pickens to a fortune. For them, I have little sympathy. 

Edited by Rick2you2

On 3/13/2022 at 10:30 PM, grapeape said:

You’re in the clear. You’re safely amongst a subset of the people I’m asking rhetorically, (does anybody buy art for love anymore.)I know that you do. But I am really fascinated by collectors who flip items they paid more than + + + five figures for within a years time. Maybe dealers bought these? Then all bets are off.

I’m really saying that seeing those two pages come up so soon finally just has me at a point where I’m  missing the joy of buying, selling and trading reasonably priced art from my sweet spot 1968-1984.

Its over. At least for me I think it is.

Most of what I wrote was paranoia and ramblings. Don’t read too much in to it. Unless you’re new to collecting. Then feel free to PM me here and I’ll tell you what I’m concerned about. 

We encourage this mercantile approach to collecting on these boards by focusing a lot of attention on what you complain about. Jump in, look at what this piece just sold for, I could have had it for $2,000 just last year, yada-yada. We don’t take much time to consider how it happened, other than nostalgia. Why does someone love, say, Ron Lim, or Jim Aparo? What are they bringing to the table that’s special? Or, are they? Personally, I suspect that an analytical approach to a lot of artists’ works as compared to price would turn a lot of price differentials into hash. They only make some sense if recognized as progenitors of a particular style, or again, popularity of subject. So, perhaps, consider threads about style, differentials, and price. Shift the conversation to art for the sake of art, instead of going with the flow. “Put a nickel in the drum, save another drunken bum.” (Guys and Dolls).

Edited by Rick2you2

On 3/17/2022 at 2:26 PM, Bill C said:

Auction open today.

What If 1 cover 63K

TOS 59 splash 99K

ASM 50 panel page 63K

I dont want to impress anyone but Im in the lead on the Wally Wood DD 5 page at 575 bucks

Looks like the super high prices are going to continue for much of the quality material

On 3/17/2022 at 12:08 AM, zhamlau said:

Technically I think this the German model.

Oligarchs know no national borders nor acknowledge national origin or nationalism in any form.

Learn from your betters or...you'll be taught.

But if you prefer, sub this dude instead :) 

U.S. government broadcaster to punish workers for Soros ...

Current Top 10 highest bids in this auction, in order (excluding the Fraz dinosaur painting)

1 - Kirby TOS Cap splash $156K

2 - Romita ASM 50 page $120K

3 - Miller DKR 3 cvr $96K

4- what if? 1 cvr $78K

5 - Cockrum Xmen 106 cvr $66K

6 - Lee Wolverine 24 cvr $56K

7 - Byrne Xmen 137 page $44K

8 - Lee Xmen 271 page (2/3 splash) $41K

9 - Dringenberg sandman 8 page $37K

10- Lee Xmen 274 dbl pager $35K

So let’s see where these early front runners end up when the final hammer strikes 👍🏻

On 3/19/2022 at 5:46 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Current Top 10 highest bids in this auction, in order (excluding the Fraz dinosaur painting)

1 - Kirby TOS Cap splash $156K

2 - Romita ASM 50 page $120K

3 - Miller DKR 3 cvr $96K

4- what if? 1 cvr $78K

5 - Cockrum Xmen 106 cvr $66K

6 - Lee Wolverine 24 cvr $56K

7 - Byrne Xmen 137 page $44K

8 - Lee Xmen 271 page (2/3 splash) $41K

9 - Dringenberg sandman 8 page $37K

10- Lee Xmen 274 dbl pager $35K

So let’s see where these early front runners end up when the final hammer strikes 👍🏻

I know where they won’t end up..... in my collection. 🤪