• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

The story of a promise made during the Korean War
9 9

351 posts in this topic

On 2/24/2022 at 7:26 PM, buttock said:

I've bought 3 books from the collection.  Two were simply because they were exceptionally nice books that I've wanted copies of for a long time and this was the opportunity to get them.  The third was a book that I needed for my collection, but was also one of only 2 books in the whole collection that had a unique tie to the back story.  For that one I felt compelled to pay a premium for the story.  But not really for any others.  So that's 2/5000 that seemed worthwhile in my mind.  

What was the unique tie.  I know of three books that should be in the collection, none of which have come to market yet (I think of them as the elephants not in the room), although books before and/or after have.  Sort of puzzling.  Makes you wonder.  But what are the two books you think have a "unique tie"?  I'll tell you my three still (possibly) to come (because I'll be outbid), if you tell me your two that have already been sold.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 2/24/2022 at 11:02 PM, sfcityduck said:

What was the unique tie.  I know of three books that should be in the collection, none of which have come to market yet (I think of them as the elephants not in the room), although books before and/or after have.  Sort of puzzling.  Makes you wonder.  But what are the two books you think have a "unique tie"?  I'll tell you my three still (possibly) to come (because I'll be outbid), if you tell me your two that have already been sold.

From what has been posted by Heritage and Bleeding Cool, the full list of Promise books is now known.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:02 PM, sfcityduck said:

Korean war books.  Based off of what I've seen there could be a few more.  But from what's been released and certified, I wouldn't be surprised if those two were it.  There could still be a War Comics 1, and there could be 1 or 2 ECs that would fall into that category.  

On 2/24/2022 at 8:24 PM, buttock said:

Korean war books.  Based off of what I've seen there could be a few more.  But from what's been released and certified, I wouldn't be surprised if those two were it.  There could still be a War Comics 1, and there could be 1 or 2 ECs that would fall into that category.  

What were the two Korean War books?  

Edited by sfcityduck

On 2/24/2022 at 8:24 PM, buttock said:

War 1 is, War 2 is not.  I count three Korean War covers that should be in the collection but have not seen them yet, although I might have missed them.  What are the two books already sold?

War 1

Operation Peril 2

Captain Steve Savage 1

Edited by sfcityduck

On 2/24/2022 at 11:37 PM, Terry JSA said:

Is the full list of books from this collection public?

Not that I have seen,but it can be pieced together.

On 2/24/2022 at 11:58 PM, sfcityduck said:

What were the two Korean War books.  War 1 is, War 2 is not.  I count three Korean War covers that should be in the collection but have not seen them yet, although I might have missed them.  What are the two books already sold?

War 1

Operation Peril 2

Captain Steve Savage 1

None of those appear to be in the collection.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:01 PM, adamstrange said:

I don't think that Bleeding Cool series of paid ads is a comprehensive list. My own Promise Collection book is not on their list, I think.

On 2/24/2022 at 9:01 PM, adamstrange said:

If War 2 was sold, I'd really like to know what happened to War 1.  My hope would be that that the family kept those three books for their own heritage.

I'd really hope they weren't cherry picked by an insider.

Edited by sfcityduck

On 2/25/2022 at 12:08 AM, sfcityduck said:

Not the 1,500 books not yet sold.

Those are on Bleeding Cool.  Might be off by a book or two but we have a good idea of what is in the collection.

Bleeding cool says: 

On 2/24/2022 at 9:24 PM, adamstrange said:

Those are on Bleeding Cool.  Might be off by a book or two but we have a good idea of what is in the collection.

Where does Bleeding Cool list Tracy 19?  I think they have left books off the list.  I also think they are tied to what Heritage has indexed, not necessarily the spreadsheed made by the OOs family.  Tracy 19 is raw.  Has Bleeding Cool included any raw books on the list?  Just curious.

On 2/25/2022 at 11:20 AM, LearnedHand said:

And for those who remember, when MHs were resold in print ads, they often weren't assigned "Good/Fine/Mint" condition.  Instead, simply as "Mile High."  

Yes, which used to irritate me to no end.

Some dealers did the same with White Mountain books.

On 2/25/2022 at 12:35 AM, sfcityduck said:

Bleeding cool says: 

Where does Bleeding Cool list Tracy 19?  I think they have left books off the list.  I also think they are tied to what Heritage has indexed, not necessarily the spreadsheed made by the OOs family.  Tracy 19 is raw.  Has Bleeding Cool included any raw books on the list?  Just curious.

If you add up what is on Heritage with Bleeding Cool (as a clever friend of mine has) you come up with 5002 books.  Some could be missing but we have a good idea of what is in the collection. 

Tracy 19 is listed on the Heritage site.  Here are Tracy's listed by BC that have not shown up yet.

Tracy Monthly 7
Tracy Monthly 12
Tracy Monthly 14
Tracy Monthly 15
Tracy Monthly 16
Tracy Monthly 18
Tracy Monthly 21
Tracy Monthly 23
Tracy Monthly 25
Tracy Monthly 26
Tracy Monthly 27
Tracy Monthly 28
Tracy Monthly 29
Tracy Monthly 30
Tracy Monthly 31
Tracy Monthly 32
Tracy Monthly 33
Tracy Monthly 34
Tracy Monthly 35
Tracy Monthly 36
Tracy Monthly 56

So Tracy is not on Bleeding Cool?  I think they may be working off of CGC lists.

My suspicion is that the "three elephants not in the room" may also not have made it to CGC or Heritage.  I hope they stayed with the family, but since those are the three books most tied to the story, makes me wonder.

On 2/25/2022 at 1:01 AM, sfcityduck said:

So Tracy is not on Bleeding Cool? 

I don't know whether the 19 was listed or not.  BC is a public site and Google is your friend.  Good luck. (thumbsu

On 2/24/2022 at 10:18 PM, adamstrange said:

I don't know whether the 19 was listed or not.  BC is a public site and Google is your friend.  Good luck. (thumbsu

I didn't see it.  But you were saying BC was comprehensive.  Made me wonder if I missed something (which happens).  Your claim made me think I had.  But, unless you point it out to me, I'm not seeing it.