• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comiclink winter auction
3 3

89 posts in this topic

On 2/17/2022 at 11:15 PM, cloud cloddie said:

I’m always curious why there’s not more chatter about their featured auctions. Started today, already some big bids in. 
Not my wheelhouse, but surprised the non Spider-man Spider-man McFarlane page is blowing past the others. 
Any standouts?

I should point out that a large early bid is suspicious to me for almost any pieces. It could be the seller or the seller’s friend trying to create a “hidden reserve”. It also has a tendency, from my experience, to extract higher bids later. The only exception I would make is to relatively uninteresting pieces where a bidder is trying to scare away the competition. And that can backfire by creating interest where there shouldn’t be any.

On 2/18/2022 at 4:42 PM, Rick2you2 said:

I should point out that a large early bid is suspicious to me for almost any pieces. It could be the seller or the seller’s friend trying to create a “hidden reserve”. It also has a tendency, from my experience, to extract higher bids later. The only exception I would make is to relatively uninteresting pieces where a bidder is trying to scare away the competition. And that can backfire by creating interest where there shouldn’t be any.

Yeah, I noticed there have already been some surprising bids too.  I had been "watching" around 12 pages, now its quickly down to about 3-4 :(.

Also, could just be fresh quality pages entering the market (shrug)

On 2/18/2022 at 1:58 PM, brownies8701 said:

Yeah, I noticed there have already been some surprising bids too.  I had been "watching" around 12 pages, now its quickly down to about 3-4 :(.

Yeah, there’s a few things I’m tracking I’m surprised by the prices of already, even in this market. 

On 2/18/2022 at 4:58 PM, brownies8701 said:

But, these are at the beginning, not at the end during the live auction period. What’s the point of a high price now if it can’t win until a lot of time has passed and other bidders can take their shots at you?

I was just wondering how other collectibles are doing right now, and if we are seeing the beginning of a market correction there. I gather, for example, that baseball cards have dropped. If others have dropped, then a little market padding here sounds like a way for sellers of OA collectibles to try to extend their roll a little longer. And, a good time to sell before a market correction really hits things home here. That would account for high early bids and new material.

On 2/19/2022 at 5:14 AM, Rick2you2 said:

I was just wondering how other collectibles are doing right now, and if we are seeing the beginning of a market correction there. I gather, for example, that baseball cards have dropped. If others have dropped, then a little market padding here sounds like a way for sellers of OA collectibles to try to extend their roll a little longer. And, a good time to sell before a market correction really hits things home here. That would account for high early bids and new material.

I guess everyone wants a seat before the Fed stops the music. Buy what you like, when you can afford it, and over time price fluctuations won’t matter so much is the only way to get your head around current cra cra prices. On the bright side, if prices go to zero you can buy it all. 

On 2/19/2022 at 7:20 AM, ThothAmon said:

I guess everyone wants a seat before the Fed stops the music. Buy what you like, when you can afford it, and over time price fluctuations won’t matter so much is the only way to get your head around current cra cra prices. On the bright side, if prices go to zero you can buy it all. 

It’s one thing for the final price to be seemingly high; the ones which draw my suspicion, in particular, are high bids at the start of the auction, which usually means two for it to show up as anything other than a proxie. Maybe if it is a short auction period, or a “fright” bid, which may not actually scare anyone off, or a newbie, but why else? I’ve seen them show up, in particular, on Catawiki, where the estimated range also appears. That site often makes me wonder about price manipulation.

On 2/18/2022 at 4:17 PM, Rick2you2 said:

But, these are at the beginning, not at the end during the live auction period. What’s the point of a high price now if it can’t win until a lot of time has passed and other bidders can take their shots at you?

Everybody has their own strategy. I’d imagine high price early works on a few levels. For some, they have a set price, so why not put it in early so you can move on if outbid? And also to scare others off. Doesn’t always work, but there’s def been a few times I was eyeing something that shot up quick, so I refocused on another piece. 

On 3/8/2022 at 6:24 PM, cloud cloddie said:

Excited to see the last minute flurry tomorrow. A lot of pieces temptingly low right now. 

I’m eyeing a couple different Thor pages by the usual suspects. Prices are about right for me as I type but pretty sure I’ll be outclassed before the sun sets on the east coast… 😢

On 3/9/2022 at 6:15 AM, Hockeyflow33 said:

The ComicConnect auction on Monday has a ton of super inexpensive things now too, I'm surprised 

I figure the way ComicConnect works, makes more sense to keep prices low so if you keep adding those 3 minutes on at the end, you can keep anyone bidding against you on for hours. :devil: