• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Captain America Comics 1 CGC 9.8
6 6

166 posts in this topic

The abstract expressionist painter Mark Rothko was a starving artist in Greenwich Village who would bum drinks off friends at his local bar. He became famous virtually overnight and started to make lots - and lots- of money from his exhibitions. But when he tried to convince his bar pals, they refused to believe him. So he bought a Cadillac, even though he couldn't drive it. He had it towed to a parking space near the bar, and when next his buddies ribbed him about his 'fantasy sales', he took them all outside to show them his new car. This was told to me by a British artist who had met him. I never thought to ask if Rothko ever learned to drive...

Well, 

Like somebody said there is a 9.4 coming up I'm already tracking it it's in March March 22nd on heritage so I'd had the second-best copy in the world if they don't want to sell it's not that major of a deal I'm not a collector with OCD that I have to have the best but if I walk in with a major amount of cash, I'm not going to say how much but, it might change their tune. I understand the book was from his father. But here shortly I will be walking in and making an offer so if they're reading this if you're reading this or I'll see you soon I think will become very good friends I hope whether you sell it to me or not just to see it would be a blessing have a good day guys I'm not going to respond anymore until this thing happens.

Anticipation...

On 2/21/2022 at 11:24 AM, Tim Frommelt said:

Well, 

Like somebody said there is a 9.4 coming up I'm already tracking it it's in March March 22nd on heritage so I'd had the second-best copy in the world if they don't want to sell it's not that major of a deal I'm not a collector with OCD that I have to have the best but if I walk in with a major amount of cash, I'm not going to say how much but, it might change their tune. I understand the book was from his father. But here shortly I will be walking in and making an offer so if they're reading this if you're reading this or I'll see you soon I think will become very good friends I hope whether you sell it to me or not just to see it would be a blessing have a good day guys I'm not going to respond anymore until this thing happens.

Anticipation...

Good luck!

I truly hope this works out for you! 

And as you said even if you do not end up with the book , you will at least have a great story and hopefully a great time pursuing this quest. 

On 2/21/2022 at 12:43 PM, FiveStars said:

What? lol That's ridiculous, how would anyone do that?

Because he comes across, at least in some ways, as someone who is full of it.    

The 11 zeroes thing is where it jumped the shark.   

Now, maybe he's kidding about that, but people that "kid" about the amount they are getting, may well be getting diddly bupkis.

Meaning... this may all be a waste of everyone's time, and not everyone will want to be subjected to it.

Edited by Bronty

On 2/21/2022 at 11:23 AM, Flex Mentallo said:

The abstract expressionist painter Mark Rothko was a starving artist in Greenwich Village who would bum drinks off friends at his local bar. He became famous virtually overnight and started to make lots - and lots- of money from his exhibitions. But when he tried to convince his bar pals, they refused to believe him. So he bought a Cadillac, even though he couldn't drive it. He had it towed to a parking space near the bar, and when next his buddies ribbed him about his 'fantasy sales', he took them all outside to show them his new car. This was told to me by a British artist who had met him. I never thought to ask if Rothko ever learned to drive...

Ironically the Rothko Chapel is in Houston. You have to know how to drive to live here.

image.jpeg.21db0825b3113685812aa5aecea08a73.jpeg

On 2/21/2022 at 11:24 AM, Tim Frommelt said:

Like somebody said there is a 9.4 coming up I'm already tracking it it's in March March 22nd on heritage so I'd had the second-best copy in the world

third

On 2/21/2022 at 7:39 PM, szav said:

Better question might be, did he ever learn how to paint?

What frustrated him is that he did not think he could draw!

[I used to give a lecture in which I argued that Abstract Expressionism is a form of realism, and in contrast, photorealism is a form of abstraction.]

Edited by Flex Mentallo