• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Truckee meadows collection
13 13

216 posts in this topic

And just a few samples of some recently graded Golden Age from the collection.

So far 20 Silver Age have been slabbed and all 20 have White Pages. But the Golden Age were bought second hand in the early 60s, so some have White Pages and some do not.

09D29216-1976-48AC-A4BB-98A35A56E6B0.jpeg.df6303d74f1d07b0192e92426df8013f.jpeg

On 3/25/2022 at 2:07 PM, lighthouse said:

We are pleased to be able to bring the Truckee Meadows Collection to the public. Including hundreds of high grade original owner Silver Age comics, as well as hundreds of Golden Age comics acquired by that owner during the early 1960s, the collection sat untouched from 1965 until this winter. Some of the issues have already been certified by CGC as among the best examples yet found. 

We will be offering many of the books directly, but when it came to the best of the best, there was no better partner than Heritage Auctions. The experience working with Heritage to bring these books to market has exceeded all our expectations. Five books from the Truckee Meadows Collection debut in the Signature Auction closing April 7th, headlined by the CGC 9.2 Fantastic Four #1, with many more to follow in the coming months.

7270Comics2.jpg

Aha, Omega Frog Comics.  I'm very familiar with that store.  I travel to Reno/Sparks for work and have been in the store a few times.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:19 PM, Neurosis138 said:

Aha, Omega Frog Comics.  I'm very familiar with that store.  I travel to Reno/Sparks for work and have been in the store a few times.

Introduce yourself the next time you’re in. I’ve had four boardies in that I specifically know of. Still trying to get @greggyto make the trip down. These books aren’t kept at the store but eventually a few hundred of them will hit the boxes, and some will hit the wall.

On 3/25/2022 at 3:19 PM, Neurosis138 said:

Looks like a cool store, @lighthouse! I'll have to check it out the next time I'm in that area...I haven't been to Reno in at least 10 years, and I've never been to Sparks.

On 3/25/2022 at 6:00 PM, lighthouse said:

Higoosadic?

Hmmm. Have to work on that one.

It’s going to be a LONG process. But it will come. (And no that 105 is definitely not Higoosadic. It’s most assuredly Ligoosadic.)

6C5F0CB5-B135-4BF5-B685-A25DBC349F60.jpeg

0F1FBF6D-A4CA-4A49-A6B5-93A27FF58F0B.jpeg

DD45051B-76A5-4E1F-B02A-F7EB7E638C89.jpeg

It's crazy to see multiple nice copies of some of these books...I've been to cons where it's hard to find one copy, let alone three!

Edited by silverseeker
Added to my post.

On 3/26/2022 at 9:00 AM, lighthouse said:

Higoosadic?

Hmmm. Have to work on that one.

It’s going to be a LONG process. But it will come. (And no that 105 is definitely not Higoosadic. It’s most assuredly Ligoosadic.)

6C5F0CB5-B135-4BF5-B685-A25DBC349F60.jpeg

0F1FBF6D-A4CA-4A49-A6B5-93A27FF58F0B.jpeg

DD45051B-76A5-4E1F-B02A-F7EB7E638C89.jpeg

Day-um! (worship)

On 3/26/2022 at 7:34 AM, Sal said:

BenSoloMORE.gif

HGOOSADC FTW

Seriously want a list of books with prices lol.  Try to stay calm, Sal, i know you can do it

From a managing expectations standpoint, it’s going to be quite a while. As previously stated I was already working 70-80 hours a week before these books arrived, and there’s no fast way to go through never-bagged-and-might-be-9.6 comics that are 55-61 years old. (Only two have come back from CGC at 9.6 so far but I doubt those will be the last two, especially since only 20 Silver Age have been slabbed so far.)

But they will come. :)

On 3/26/2022 at 8:45 AM, lighthouse said:

From a managing expectations standpoint, it’s going to be quite a while. As previously stated I was already working 70-80 hours a week before these books arrived, and there’s no fast way to go through never-bagged-and-might-be-9.6 comics that are 55-61 years old. (Only two have come back from CGC at 9.6 so far but I doubt those will be the last two, especially since only 20 Silver Age have been slabbed so far.)

But they will come. :)

If you need any help with the bagging and boarding, I'd be happy to drive down there.  I have my own gloves.

On 3/26/2022 at 9:24 AM, ThothAmon said:

The books are amazing. It’s perplexing to me that CGC doesn’t change its arbitrary criteria so that a collection like this doesn’t qualify as a pedigree. 

It is what it is. I reached out multiple times from December to February and received no follow up response.

But fwiw I don’t think there’s quite enough breadth in the HG OO SA portion of the collection to warrant it (and the Golden Age is all secondhand). By their previously stated definitions there aren’t enough 9.4+ SA books to meet the threshold. I would expect between 80-150 to meet that particular bar (though it could be as many as 200). There will be a lot of 9.2 White in the collection, and while that’s newsworthy on FF1 (or even FF5) it really isn’t on most Silver. And some are just really nice looking 8.0-9.0 

The books are beautiful. Gorgeous color. White pages. And they’re a wonderful time capsule having been left alone for over 5 decades (heck the Church Action 1 was only 39 years old when that collection changed hands). But the pedigree question is above my pay grade.

Edited by lighthouse

On 3/26/2022 at 10:33 AM, Sold! said:

How is their criteria arbitrary? Seems specific enough to me (shrug)

"arbitrary" and "specific" are not antonyms.  I can offer a specific instruction - "You must touch my mailbox before knocking on my door" - that is completely arbitrary.

On 3/26/2022 at 11:08 AM, supapimp said:

@lighthouseCan I get dibs on the showcase 55

As you can see in the pic there are three of them. I don’t recall the condition but I believe they are nice. I remember one has a GreggyNutsackCrease on the front cover. And one is definitely cut higher than the other two.

But it will be a while before I get to those.

Shoot me a PM and I’ll add it to the request list and circle back when the time comes.98B5652F-2BAA-4DD0-BD8E-4B1A30BD0BE4.jpeg.6966a91e28414bd22ceec4acb82ecfd9.jpeg