• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Just want to confirm that this eBayer doesn't know what he's talking about
1 1

154 posts in this topic

And if it helps, the book doesn't look natural to me, in your two pictures, one of which is out of focus. I'm not surprised the buyer is unhappy, based on what I can see. 

On 2/28/2022 at 2:13 PM, Poekaymon said:

I argued with him a little bit because it all seemed too idiotic for me.  For one thing, that untrimmed overhang was visible right in my listing pictures!  So arguing that it didn't match the description was completely baseless, and I was pretty tempted to deny the return outright, though my understanding is eBay is pretty hostile to sellers. 

You refused to put a grade on the book and said that your listing showed the untrimmed overhang. 

You posted his picture which clearly shows the overhang that he sent you. 

Why didn't you post the picture from your listing that shows the overhang?

On 2/28/2022 at 5:50 PM, Domo Arigato said:

You refused to put a grade on the book and said that your listing showed the untrimmed overhang. 

You posted his picture which clearly shows the overhang that he sent you. 

Why didn't you post the picture from your listing that shows the overhang?

This forum has made me painfully aware that I am horrible at grading comics. So honest question here: would it be better for me to put a grade on a book I'm selling knowing fully well that it may be wrong? Some books I think are F/VF end up being VG. If so, I will go edit some of my ebay listings.

Edited by ianders0n

On 2/28/2022 at 6:00 PM, ianders0n said:

This forum has made me painfully aware that I am horrible at grading comics. So honest question here: would it be better for me to put an arbitrary grade on a book I'm selling? Some books I think are F/VF end up being VG. If so, I will go edit some of my ebay listings.

I do not think a totally arbitrary grade is the way to go, but if you're going to give a grade, and you're not good at it, you should probably go low.  Otherwise I am quite sure you will have issues when people disagree--and a surprising number of people think raw books should be perfect, even though they aren't remotely paying CGC prices.

On 2/28/2022 at 6:06 PM, Poekaymon said:

I do not think a totally arbitrary grade is the way to go, but if you're going to give a grade, and you're not good at it, you should probably go low.  Otherwise I am quite sure you will have issues when people disagree--and a surprising number of people think raw books should be perfect, even though they aren't remotely paying CGC prices.

Yeah arbitrary was bad word choice. But I've always felt like giving tons of photos meant more than a grade that may be inaccurate.

On 2/28/2022 at 5:00 PM, ianders0n said:

This forum has made me painfully aware that I am horrible at grading comics. So honest question here: would it be better for me to put a grade on a book I'm selling knowing fully well that it may be wrong? Some books I think are F/VF end up being VG. If so, I will go edit some of my ebay listings.

As long as they provide clear pictures, I don't feel a seller has to put a grade on the comic if they aren't comfortable with it.  But any defects........especially ones like this......need to be CLEARLY shown in the listing pictures.

I'm just wondering if this was actually done. hm

Edited by Domo Arigato

On 2/28/2022 at 6:09 PM, ianders0n said:

I've always felt like giving tons of photos meant more than a grade that may be inaccurate.

Totally agree, especially on eBay.  There are several people who regularly sell raws on this forum whose grade I would trust more than my own evaluation of the pictures, but they are not the majority of eBay sellers.

On 2/28/2022 at 3:56 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Unfortunately, the world we live in doesn't allow for common sense, or the ability to enforce a "buyer beware" policy.  No one believes they are responsible for their own errors in judgment.  This trend of blaming someone or something else for your own mistakes has been going on - and expanding - my entire life.  I will say holding something in your hand is quite different from seeing a picture of it, but I think you provided appropriate information and pictures so the buyer should have known what he was receiving. 

I bought a book on the Boards that had an undisclosed detached centerfold, but I also failed to ask about interior problems before :takeit:.  That's my fault, but now I know to be more cautious with that seller.

Sorry you had this experience, but there's no protection from unscrupulous buyers on eBay, apparently.

IMO you should have been able to get a refund with that issue - the seller in all likelihood didn't know about it themselves and the issue is very legitimate. (as an extreme example - what if there was a cut out coupon or pin-up?)

On 2/28/2022 at 3:33 PM, amatta said:

IMO you should have been able to get a refund with that issue - the seller in all likelihood didn't know about it themselves and the issue is very legitimate. (as an extreme example - what if there was a cut out coupon or pin-up?)

I believe I could have, and I think the seller would have agreed, but it was a relatively low-grade issue generally and was not that expensive so I was satisfied with bringing it to his attention.

On 2/28/2022 at 4:00 PM, VG+ said:

Did I miss a link to the auction? The pictures in the first post are not the OP's.

The OP describes that he posted "Multiple accurate pictures."  I took him at his word, but it's entirely possible the parts of the book the buyer objected to were not part of the original posting.

On 2/28/2022 at 7:07 PM, MattTheDuck said:

The OP describes that he posted "Multiple accurate pictures."  I took him at his word, but it's entirely possible the parts of the book the buyer objected to were not part of the original posting.

Accurate. 

On 2/28/2022 at 6:13 PM, Domo Arigato said:

As long as they provide clear pictures, I don't feel a seller has to put a grade on the comic if they aren't comfortable with it.  But any defects........especially ones like this......need to be CLEARLY shown in the listing pictures.

OP says it was clearly shown but not written/mentioned in the description.

On 2/28/2022 at 3:56 PM, MattTheDuck said:

Unfortunately, the world we live in doesn't allow for common sense, or the ability to enforce a "buyer beware" policy. 

+1. That was what I was trying to say.

On 2/28/2022 at 1:31 PM, Beastfeast said:

Second, "I'm not a professional" is a giant weasel-phrase for not knowing how to grade a comic.  Just say the grade, please. 

I disagree with this.  Listing a grade does nothing.  CGC's top grader could list a grade and they would still get angry buyers that disagree.  Best to not list a grade, and avoid that pitfall entirely.  I never list grades and have had no problems with selling books on ebay.  No complaints about grade either.  Remember when you list a grade-you will be selling to people who do not know how to grade a comic.

On 2/28/2022 at 6:25 PM, William-James88 said:
On 2/28/2022 at 5:13 PM, Domo Arigato said:

OP says it was clearly shown but not written/mentioned in the description.

I checked every sold listing for raw Hulk #340 comics dating back to November 30th of last year.

None of them clearly show this type of defect in their listing pictures.

Shame.gif.95345416efb09cb1f6233e365c5853b6.gif

Edited by Domo Arigato