• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

A (potentially) concerning trend for Comic Cons?
1 1

37 posts in this topic

I can see other comic creators using this What Not app at other (Calgary) Expos to increase international sales and their social media profile but this is a real kick in the nads :slapfight: for those fans that flew in or drove for hours and paying for hotels to not be able to purchase (a signed) collectible in person when they are standing in front of the con booth.

I can see how this would be frustrating, but to be honest it's not that much different than Metropolis, ComicLink, or Heritage showing up at a convention to show off items that are in their future auctions.  My guess is they aren't looking to sell at the convention, but are looking to increase awareness of their auctions on WhatNot.

On 4/11/2022 at 12:19 PM, ignimbrite said:

I understand but this just seems more overt. They are selling items at the show over Whatnot while people watching can't buy anything unless they also go on Whatnot. Why go to the Con at all? 

why go? well , you get to meet them and see them draw. That's cool. But if just buying is the deal under the terms you describe there seems to be no advantage (you can see them live and verify I guess). At MOCCA in NYC 2 weeks ago I went and bought 5 Mignola pieces on Sat. I decided Sat night to go back Sunday for more but it rained and I wasn't driving 60 minutes each way, standing in line and lugging my stff to the car in the rain. So yesterday or so Mike's wife announced hellboy pencil sketches on ebay...same ones from the show. They are already past the prices you could buy for in person. So that was an advantage in a slightly different situation.

presumably 

it's a prepay to secure the spot and product.

That cuts down on lines and waiting etc.

If it is available on an app and at the con, is it still only available at the con? then you prepay, skip the lines, and still have a comic con experience that didn't take too much time and etc still guaranteeing a product

.... also you can use a card at home before the con, most people use cash at the con, to avoid card scammers.

Perhaps even prepay so far in advance that it doesn't take away your cash amount for the con.

Especially if it is only available at the con.

Then they also do it for guaranteed spots sometimes, and then there are also non guaranteed spots that make a line and etc.

I think the future of big “comic cons” as we have known them are doomed.

The slide started several years ago and Covid has really taken the wind out of their sails.

I went to WonderCon a couple weeks ago. Virtually no comic publishers were present. Same thing with the big toy and video game companies. But, the Funko Pop stuff was there and selling on line as well. Not sure if you could buy on-site or not. 

I went to buy vintage comics. Real slim dealer wise but enough to take a little of my money in a half a day.

Little old school shows seem to be booming again but still hard to buy much in person. 

I think the apps (whatnot) will save dealers and vendors at cons.  The last two cons I sold at wonderCon and comic con revolution if I didn’t have the whatnot app I would of lost money . Covid and everything else that is going on the crowds will be down this year.  I saw the Philly show it look like wondecon no one there . So selling apps will play a big part in people making money when crowds are down. 

On 4/11/2022 at 10:45 AM, fatlab123 said:

I think the apps (whatnot) will save dealers and vendors at cons.  The last two cons I sold at wonderCon and comic con revolution if I didn’t have the whatnot app I would of lost money . Covid and everything else that is going on the crowds will be down this year.  I saw the Philly show it look like wondecon no one there . So selling apps will play a big part in people making money when crowds are down. 

I’m curious, how did you make money using whatnot at the shows? Were you doing auctions during the show? Selling items you have at the show, or items back home? Selling to people at the show, or at home? Do you have a dedicated person for whatnot, and another for ‘in person’ sales? Thanks!

I don't care if a dealer wants to sell items on line in some fashion during a show, but to prevent people who actually come to the show from purchasing those same items seems ridiculous. Why even pay to set up at a show? Just do your thing online and not pay for a  booth and all the related expenses? I must be missing something. 

On 4/11/2022 at 11:18 AM, wombat said:

I don't care if a dealer wants to sell items on line in some fashion during a show, but to prevent people who actually come to the show from purchasing those same items seems ridiculous. Why even pay to set up at a show? Just do your thing online and not pay for a  booth and all the related expenses? I must be missing something. 

my guess is that you can still 'buy' at the show and take the art/comics/stuff if it is physically there.  Just that instead of giving an employee cash or physically having them run your credit card, you have to go through a website or app on your phone to make the purchase.

Especially in the case of art, it allows for easier real time updating of the inventory and accounting

On 4/11/2022 at 11:07 AM, wormboy said:

I’m curious, how did you make money using whatnot at the shows? Were you doing auctions during the show? Selling items you have at the show, or items back home? Selling to people at the show, or at home? Do you have a dedicated person for whatnot, and another for ‘in person’ sales? Thanks!

First off ..if I was busy it would be hard to do by myself .  There was 3 of us but could be done by 1 person.  Whatnot is live so I would scan the booth to see if anyone wanted anything (no one at the shows did) then depending on the price either 20 second auction or buy it now. I see some comments why come do a show if your going to do this. Why not? You have all your books out ..not everyone at the con is looking for the same stuff but you can get some new customers by going live .  Its not just good for cons ..you can do it anywhere you have service ..more and more lcs are doing it . I’m starting to work with some it’s been great for them ..they might stay in business. Not sure if you been to a big con or lcs but not many comic buyers walking in …I love going to  my lcs but whatnot/instagram / Facebook help sell books just like these cgc boards do.

Edited by fatlab123

On 4/11/2022 at 3:08 PM, Hook, Line, and Sinker said:

You made the post below in another thread. How is this app going to save dealers if selling books over $100 is difficult?

fatlab123

I sell on whatnot ..Its an easier app to sell under $100 and below books.  Big books are harder to sell or need be used  in a game type auction.  The hard part of the app is you need have a personality as it’s a live auction to help sell the books, just like ig or Facebook IMO.  One plus is when something’s sells  it’s paid for right away unlike ig etc 

Selling books over $100 is always difficult plus for most dealers/lcs not the majority of their stock.  So if that is all you have then sell it on the boards or some other site where it can sit til someone sees it .  Whatnot , cons , ig etc any site that is temporary it’s always hit or miss if that customer with deep pockets is coming in to buy..under $100 is a bigger pool of customers ..just like $1 boxes at cons make up the majority of books .

A lot of times it feels like people have become slaves to these social media apps. 
reading this thread for instance. It’s apparent social media is the big collectible here, not comics.

Facebook Twitter Instagram discord and tiktok are becoming more detrimental to society. 

I went to order an exclusive drop from a major online retailer and they required at least 3 apps to make the purchase. One of the apps required was the one discussed on this thread.

It’s sad seeing society controlled by ad revenue