• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage June Auction
7 7

756 posts in this topic

On 6/18/2022 at 9:20 PM, drdonaldblake1 said:

When did it become known that hulk 181 cover OA exist?

This would be a minimum $2.5 million auction price imho

IIRC it was around 2017-18 (plus or minus a year on either end) that its existence became known. And then there were rumors flying left and right about it being for sale privately, and offers north of $2 million being thrown about and snags being hit and ultimately nothing happening. And now, with the market doing what it's been doing, there's been renewed speculation that maybe it will finally hit the auction block.

Felix talked about it on a Felix Comic Art podcast a while back; can't remember which episode it was, though. Maybe it's mentioned in one of the episode descriptions or maybe someone remembers which one it was.

I don't know what it would sell for, but, I'd say it would almost certainly break the Zeck page's record. The only question is by how much...

On 6/19/2022 at 7:49 AM, delekkerste said:

I don't know what it would sell for, but, I'd say it would almost certainly break the Zeck page's record. The only question is by how much...

Ya know...I don't disagree, but here we are again with the bold proclamations about the hows and whys of the rarest of rare air (in this hobby): the spending habits and motivations of the liquid 1% comic art collectors (since it takes two) -aka the seven figure bunfight.

We did see that bunfight happen live with Zeck's Secret Wars #8 page. We did not with Frazetta's Egyptian Queen oil, nor Miller's Dark Knight Returns #1 cover.

It's not my intention to throw cold water on the entire hobby, but rather gently remind that -in this hobby- the number of able and further willing players over $1m has absolutely been proven historically to be very small, or at least, in two out of three cases quite...disinterested? Negative sentiment always smother positive, and that's what a failed new high water mark is: very negative for sentiment. So what's the point of speculating, somewhat or quite a bit wildly about outcomes at the very peak? I don't see any.

Put another way: Gene aside, how many others reading this comment can name just three seven figure players in comic art as personal friends (as opposed to handshake acquaintances)? If you can't, then you don't know jack about why and when they bid and don't bid at that level. You simply do not have that insight; nor do I.

On 6/19/2022 at 8:09 AM, vodou said:

Ya know...I don't disagree, but here we are again with the bold proclamations about the hows and whys of the rarest of rare air (in this hobby): the spending habits and motivations of the liquid 1% comic art collectors (since it takes two) -aka the seven figure bunfight.

I thought the DKR #1 cover had a good shot at breaking the Zeck record, but, if I had been offered even odds on taking the over, I wouldn't have bet more than a token amount (say, $100) on that outcome as I didn't have any special insights on it and I was just speculating on how things might go. 

With the Hulk #181 cover, I do have special insights on it and would happily bet a 5-figure amount on the "over" vs. that Zeck page. If you had asked me a few months ago, I'd probably have even bet 6-figures on the "over". It's only because of the cascading stock & crypto prices the past few weeks that I've downgraded the over (vs. the Zeck page) from "metaphysically certain" to "almost certain". 

On 6/19/2022 at 9:57 AM, delekkerste said:

With the Hulk #181 cover, I do have special insights on it and ...

Understood. Hence...

On 6/19/2022 at 8:09 AM, vodou said:

Gene aside, ...

Now your personal desire for Lee's X-Men #1 quintych over DKR1...that's not understood by me :), I'd actually "want" (as a keeper, regardless of price) neither.

On 6/19/2022 at 5:09 AM, vodou said:

We did see that bunfight happen live with Zeck's Secret Wars #8 page. We did not with Frazetta's Egyptian Queen oil, nor Miller's Dark Knight Returns #1 cover.

It's not my intention to throw cold water on the entire hobby, but rather gently remind that -in this hobby- the number of able and further willing players over $1m has absolutely been proven historically to be very small, or at least, in two out of three cases quite...disinterested? Negative sentiment always smother positive, and that's what a failed new high water mark is: very negative for sentiment. So what's the point of speculating, somewhat or quite a bit wildly about outcomes at the very peak? I don't see any.

Put another way: Gene aside, how many others reading this comment can name just three seven figure players in comic art as personal friends (as opposed to handshake acquaintances)? If you can't, then you don't know jack about why and when they bid and don't bid at that level. You simply do not have that insight; nor do I.

You are missing the point. Speculating on this thread is fun. Sometimes the guesses are absurd and some are rooted in solid takes. I have fun with it and do my best to make a case for why I think a piece will possibly set new marks. A few of the people on the board were really close at 2.5 M guessing. A few of your comments whiff of a tinge of elitism.

"how many others reading this comment can name just three seven figure players in comic art as personal friends" and "If you can't, then you don't know jack"

Most of us get it we're not running in the closed circle of whale collectors. Most of us have not  gone through pledge week to enter in to the mythical and legendary cabal either. (I'm ready Gene).

Lighten up. The point is the results of the SW8 page made a lot of us dream bigger for our hobby. So when you say what's the point maybe what I'm saying might serve as one possible  answer. I'm fine if you don't accept it. Look, we're going to see the detonation of assets continue in most every conceivable sector. It's sad but it's happened before. Why not enjoy a thread dedicated to dreamers, voyeurs', tight rope walkers and mad hatters? Most of the thrill is believing you have a chance to win at HA. Most have failed lately or resigned themselves to the sidelines. 

Why so serious? This is fun. I mean Felix and his S**+*y DK1 cover post was hilarious. I'm not bummed at all the real DKR 1 "only" sold for $2.4M. Through Saturday we had 20 pieces of art sell between $102,000-$2.4M. My guess of $4.5M or Peter's $9.5M guess (Bold Peter)lol for bragging rights and to make a little fun of each other when we go off the rails.

Now, I will leave with the speculation that the Hulk 181 cover will come up for auction in the future. My guess is a guy who really loved Herb Trimpe will buy a lottery ticket with the numbers 1-8-1 and his birthdate and win $53,000,000 dollars after taxes. Unexpectedly, a washed up movie star who survives a crazy slander trial will make a huge comeback and sign a 3 picture $100,000,000 deal. Turns out Hulk 181 was his favorite comic he read as a ten year old. The movie star and the lottery winner go head to head and the 181 hammers for    $3.75 M dollars.

On 6/19/2022 at 2:36 PM, grapeape said:

Speculating on this thread is fun.

It's very easy to speculate with other people's money (especially well above one's pay grade). I think it's stupid; others, yourself included disagree. Okay :)

The thing is, contrary to popular belief and endless meme's about Russian oligarchs and BTC trilllionaires, most wealthy people acquired that wealth by being savvy and cautious, not by being the guy willing to pay the most every time. So, back to the above, all sort of silly -to me, because it's more likely you don't get a SW8 result than you do due to: savvy and cautious.

A few of your comments whiff of a tinge of elitism.

lol 

Nonsense. I'm last to be elite or care to rub shoulders with same; heck I haven't had a clean shave since May 2016.

Lighten up.

lol

I am, light as a feather. You've seen when I'm not and I'm surprised you don't remember :) 

Anyway, I'm not telling anyone else what to do or how to post...I'm just questioning the perma-bull every "hot" piece will set a new world record thinking/posting that's suffocating at times. I was raised to question things, especially authority, ...weren't you? (I hope so!)

FWIW though, I posted $3.4m (BP inclusive) and was wrong (high) too. Really and truly I was surprised to see this one fall dead flat live -so underwhelming- as all I've heard about for 30 years in this thing is how DKR is King. (I finally read it last year...meh, but admittedly with 2021 eyes not 1986 eyes.) How could it only hammer 2m and only get a single live $100k increment up? Geez. Seriously! Underwhelming.

Look, we're going to see the detonation of assets continue in most every conceivable sector.

Very short-lived, my friend, don't sweat it unless you were banking on that stuff paying your rent/mortgage for the next 12 months. Spring 2023 and forward is gonna be something else altogether, as in the beginning of very big moves, bigger than ever. But do we care? No. We're not selling. (Are we? I'm not, anyway.)

On 6/19/2022 at 1:29 PM, tfish1 said:

Cerebus #1 art WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

awesome pages.    I wonder if a certain first appearance collector bid!

crazy to think that three pages from #1 went for more than the cover to #3 and the entire contents to #4.

--

Edited by Bronty

On 6/19/2022 at 3:56 PM, vodou said:

A double (for consignor, roughly, assuming full hammer), could be worse but...after 5 years, underwhelming.

image.thumb.png.451d3c23caa8d80a2ea45513dea0e9a0.png

that's not so bad.   Yeah, could be better, but whatevs. 

On 6/19/2022 at 3:57 PM, Bronty said:

Nothing like a Swamp Thing cover with no Swamp Thing..

I take it back, I guess swamp thing is there after all, in a small way.   Its just not that good though with the weird kid as the focus of the image.

Edited by Bronty