• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage June Auction
7 7

756 posts in this topic

On 6/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, thethedew said:

Consistent, if declining results.  I imagine the consigner is disappointed.  Wonder why this keeps getting flipped, I hope it isn't because the owners think Micronauts collectors might lose their minds or something....  I have yet to bid on this one, but amusing to watch.

image.thumb.jpeg.7ca4e8f5b010f60842420b3c6df7d6ef.jpeg

Its a great piece and I was the consignor.  I purchased it April because I thought its a fantastic rendering of the team, and Art's hyper-detail is really incredible on this piece.  I am aware of the licensing/limbo and was willing to wait it out for up to 5 years.  But (and you knew there was going to be a but...) once I saw the McSpidey #16 OA for sale, I knew I had to sell some things to raise funds.  I wanted the McCover and the McDPS, but it wasn't meant to be.  I tried to win some other great artwork at this auction but was the underbidder on several pieces.  

Overall, I wasn't expecting to make money on this sale and I'm 'OK' with losing  $1K or thereabouts given the circumstances.  After all, it could have been a lot worse, right?

On 6/20/2022 at 1:30 PM, thethedew said:

Consistent, if declining results.  I imagine the consigner is disappointed.  Wonder why this keeps getting flipped, I hope it isn't because the owners think Micronauts collectors might lose their minds or something....  I have yet to bid on this one, but amusing to watch.

image.thumb.jpeg.7ca4e8f5b010f60842420b3c6df7d6ef.jpeg

HA is certainly doing well on this one...ca. 30% on each trip through...er, assuming they aren't self-consigning lol 

and....NOPE :)

Edited by vodou
new info!

On 6/19/2022 at 7:49 AM, delekkerste said:

IIRC it was around 2017-18 (plus or minus a year on either end) that its existence became known. And then there were rumors flying left and right about it being for sale privately, and offers north of $2 million being thrown about and snags being hit and ultimately nothing happening. And now, with the market doing what it's been doing, there's been renewed speculation that maybe it will finally hit the auction block.

Was this known a long time ago, and then forgotten and re-known in the past five years? I can remember at the first or second Sotheby's auction Tom Horvitz talking with Weist about the possibility of getting it, and needing a five-figure guarantee. But maybe they were just speaking in hypotheticals?

On 6/17/2022 at 11:29 PM, John E. said:

Me: Hey dad! Did you hear about the Dark Knight Returns #1 cover? Came in at two-point-four mil with the juice. That’s too bad.

Dad: What’s the problem?

Me: Well, the pundits and experts were saying it was going to blow past the previous record in a bidding war that never happened. It was pretty anticlimactic. 

Dad: Was it published by Marvel?

Me: Um, no. It’s a DC comic. 

Dad: Is Spider-Man in it?

Me: Uh, no, Dad. I just said it’s a DC book.

Dad: Well, there you go. There’s your answer. 

Me: But it’s an iconic cover!

Dad: No one’s saying it’s not, son. But if you’re asking me, two-point-four mil is a lot of @?$!#ing money for a lighting bolt…

Me: Buh—

Dad: …without Spider-Man.

So you're saying your Dad bought the SW8 page?

On 6/18/2022 at 3:59 PM, Bronty said:
On 6/18/2022 at 2:34 PM, malvin said:

Yes.  Nothing happened.

Malvin

well that's true, in more ways than one.

Nothing happened price wise, to any great degree, but as I recall there were noticeably fewer transactions out there (aside from the auction houses).

So.. nothing happened.. and nothing happened.

OA collectors had the sense to not sell in a panic, and were not overleveraged and forced to sell at the bottom.  Nothing wrong with that. (shrug)  

On 6/19/2022 at 1:29 PM, tfish1 said:

Cerebus #1 art WOW!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

The relatively mediocre results for the #3 cover and #4 art had me optimistic that I had a chance at these pages.  

I was wrong. :frown:

On 6/19/2022 at 5:23 PM, Bronty said:
On 6/19/2022 at 4:53 PM, Race said:

So much Scrooge McDuck... God bless whoever collects this but I don't get it (shrug)

I love Rosa, but those later stories with the empty word bubbles - tough to appreciate.   I thought the cover sold cheap at 14k and change compared to past comps.

Probably because so much of the art has been coming on the market recently, between Heritage's European comic art auctions and the Signature auctions.

The empty word bubbles don't bother me.  Seems to be kind of a European comic thing.  I would assume those who buy these pieces simply get an acetate overlay with the wording filled in.

On 6/21/2022 at 6:22 AM, Nexus said:

I can't remember talking about it on the podcast (maybe I have, but my memory runs short these days...unless I'm holding a grudge). But yes, the existence of 181 became known to certain collectors at SDCC 2017.

That was when I ran into an old acquaintance, someone who's not involved in OA in any way. He said he had come across something recently that I might be interested in seeing. He pulled up a pic on his phone: It was the OA cover for HULK #181.

My first thought was maybe this was one of Trimpe's recreations. But there were other clues in the pic that made it seem possible this could be the real thing.

I asked my friend if I could share this pic with some collecting buddies at the show. He said no way, that this was for my eyes only. He half-admitted that he may have taken this picture surreptitiously (he didn't realize what a big deal it was until I let on, and then realized maybe he shouldn't have just taken a shot of it). I then asked if it was OK if I only showed a few select others the pic from *my* phone, but didn't distribute the pic otherwise. That he was OK with; he'd known me long enough to know I wouldn't burn him. It was just too good not to show a handful of friends at the show.

Gene was one of the few I showed the pic to. We all pretty much agreed that it LOOKED good...but without seeing it in person, couldn't say 100% for sure if it was the real thing or a recreation.

Fast-forward another year or so, and it turns out it was the real thing, and that real thing might be available for the right price. Beyond that...no comment.

But it's been long enough otherwise to share the "SDCC phone pic" story. If/when the art does sell, maybe I'll get some of the principals together again for a podcast.

Oh WOW, hey nexus thanks for sharing the back story.......love to hear about these exciting finds🤯

What sort of condition what the hulk 181 OA cover in?

DO you know if any interior art exists?

I would love just to own a full size trimpe recreation!

On 6/20/2022 at 6:29 PM, Crowzilla said:

Was this known a long time ago, and then forgotten and re-known in the past five years? I can remember at the first or second Sotheby's auction Tom Horvitz talking with Weist about the possibility of getting it, and needing a five-figure guarantee. But maybe they were just speaking in hypotheticals?

The first I ever heard about it was in 2017, as Felix mentioned above.  No idea if it's existence/whereabouts were known prior to that - maybe some old hands can chime in if they knew anything? 

On 6/20/2022 at 4:22 PM, Nexus said:

I can't remember talking about it on the podcast (maybe I have, but my memory runs short these days...unless I'm holding a grudge). But yes, the existence of 181 became known to certain collectors at SDCC 2017.

It wasn't one of the ones I was on, but, I recall being a little surprised when you guys discussed it on an episode. No idea at this point which episode it was (or if it was a regular episode or one of the exclusive ones), but, maybe someone else here remembers? 

Edited by delekkerste

On 6/21/2022 at 1:20 AM, tth2 said:

The relatively mediocre results for the #3 cover and #4 art had me optimistic that I had a chance at these pages.  

I wonder if it was just too much early cerebus at once.    I.e. did people like yourself pass over the 3 & 4 pages hoping to get a piece of #1?   Seems like it on the surface.

I'm a cheap mofo with comic art, and even I hovered hard on the bid button for 3 &4.    Those were very very reasonable amounts.  

Edited by Bronty

On 6/21/2022 at 1:20 AM, tth2 said:

I'm sorry you weren't able to get the #1 pages, btw.    All three were really great. 

Btw Tim, where did you expect the #1 pages to end up?   I had guessed 15-20 each pre auction due to the #1 factor, which I clearly undersold. 

Its was really peculiar that they had the #9 pages, IIRC, in the earlier session, and the #1 pages buried in the late session.    Sadly, that didn't stop anybody.

On 6/21/2022 at 10:24 AM, lurker said:

It went for "cheap" because it's not from his original run / glory days pre-Image. He briefly came back circa 1999 for 3 issues ( this double page is from these ). Much less nostalgia involved/ Not as fondly remembered/ R Ramos is fine but not usually associated with Larsen ( Janson inked most of his Marvel pages from that era: 3 issues of Thor and then Defenders ) and maybe not the best match.

Same as comparing Uncanny Byrne/Austin VS Hidden Years. Or 1990-92 Liefeld NM/X-Force VS his brief returns a decade later. Apples and (blood) oranges.

Also this spread is mostly of a big bad robot. Spidey is obscured on every panel. 

IMO it actually went for a very strong price all things considered. If I remember this correctly it was available on CAF for a while about 2-3 years ago at a much more affordable price.        

that's the main thing, to me.   Although I wouldn't call it a very strong price compared to past comps.    Per friggin Jim Lee Deathblow covers and past Larsen comps. 

I see it as a weaker piece for sure but it still went for a weaker price even after adjusting for what it is.