• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Heritage June Auction
7 7

756 posts in this topic

On 5/2/2022 at 12:48 PM, comix4fun said:

A full issue made up entirely of DPS's is how you can instantly identify that an artist was not, at all, thinking about original art values while working on it. 

Steranko used double pages splashes to great effect in the 1960's while working at Marvel, including several in Strange Tales.  I don't think he was about OA values back then so much as design.  So, perhaps its a McTip of  the hat to Steranko's consecutive double page splashes in Strange Tales #

See the source image

On 5/2/2022 at 12:25 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Steranko used double pages splashes to great effect in the 1960's while working at Marvel, including several in Strange Tales.  I don't think he was about OA values back then so much as design.  So, perhaps its a McTip of  the hat to Steranko's consecutive double page splashes in Strange Tales #

See the source image

I was speaking to an entire issue of nothing but....

On 5/2/2022 at 1:28 PM, comix4fun said:

I was speaking to an entire issue of nothing but....

I get it, but Todd was making stoopid $$$ per issue of McSpidey back then...you really think he did a full issue of splashes (maybe $700 each at the time) and DPS's (perhaps $1.5K each) cause he was thinking only about bank?  It would be peanuts for him.

On 5/2/2022 at 12:36 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

I get it, but Todd was making stoopid $$$ per issue of McSpidey back then...you really think he did a full issue of splashes (maybe $700 each at the time) and DPS's (perhaps $1.5K each) cause he was thinking only about bank?  It would be peanuts for him.

I think in his case he did it for fun. A whole issue of DPS's isn't so much about sequential storytelling, panel progression, or nuance. 

But I am not sure his paychecks from Marvel were in the same universe as his paychecks would be from image. So, the "stoopid $$$" came a little later. Nice paychecks and some nice royalties, sure. 
Given page rates at the time (and now) it wouldn't a wild idea that artists might keep an eye on making what they could off of art sales.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:41 PM, comix4fun said:

I think in his case he did it for fun. A whole issue of DPS's isn't so much about sequential storytelling, panel progression, or nuance. 

But I am not sure his paychecks from Marvel were in the same universe as his paychecks would be from image. So, the "stoopid $$$" came a little later. Nice paychecks and some nice royalties, sure. 
Given page rates at the time (and now) it wouldn't a wild idea that artists might keep an eye on making what they could off of art sales.

No, his cheques certainly weren’t as high as they were from Spawn, but in addition to his page rate, he made bank on the sales incentives for selling above and beyond x number of copies per issue.

On 5/2/2022 at 1:02 PM, jjonahjameson11 said:

No, his cheques certainly weren’t as high as they were from Spawn, but in addition to his page rate, he made bank on the sales incentives for selling above and beyond x number of copies per issue.

Right, royalties. 

Finally had a chance to go through some of the listings on a second pass.  They keep adding more!  This auction is going to be amazing!

Saw this.  I think it is the first time Bane hears of Batman.  Pretty historic page.  I have a few pages from this issue myself, but this one isn't mine.  I am curious where this will finish.  Any guesses?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/graham-nolan-and-eduardo-barreto-vengeance-of-bane-1-story-page-24-original-art-dc-1993-/p/7274-204006.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

Edited by Xatari

On 5/4/2022 at 9:38 PM, Xatari said:

Finally had a chance to go through some of the listings on a second pass.  They keep adding more!  This auction is going to be amazing!

Saw this.  I think it is the first time Bane hears of Batman.  Pretty historic page.  I have a few pages from this issue myself, but this one isn't mine.  I am curious where this will finish.  Any guesses?

https://comics.ha.com/itm/original-comic-art/graham-nolan-and-eduardo-barreto-vengeance-of-bane-1-story-page-24-original-art-dc-1993-/p/7274-204006.s?ic4=ListView-ShortDescription-071515

The first time Bane hears of Batman.

Some thoughts. Will the same buyer of page 45 bid on this page? Bane not in costume but definitely a significant page. My guess is it has enough historical significance that it ends around $40,000.

On 5/5/2022 at 2:00 AM, grapeape said:

The first time Bane hears of Batman.

Some thoughts. Will the same buyer of page 45 bid on this page? Bane not in costume but definitely a significant page. My guess is it has enough historical significance that it ends around $40,000.

I’ll take the under 

On 5/5/2022 at 8:15 AM, batman_fan said:

If only you didn’t have to wade through all those Kirby Thors and Romita Spider-Man’s to find them :sumo:

Exactly!

I wonder if Heritage bought a ton of peanuts years ago.    I can’t help but notice that there are always 5-10 strips in every auction, like clockwork.    You’d think at some point there would be an auction without some peanuts in it?   

If those are all just 3rd party consignments all the time, and considering the number of Garfield strips that will be out there (all of them ) is probably similar to the number of peanuts strips that will be out there (peanuts ran longer but more owned by family and or unaccounted), then…. We might never live to see a day there isn’t a Garfield strip in a heritage auction.    Glory be! :cheers: