• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using Scantily Women To Sell Comics
8 8

252 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 6:44 PM, D84 said:

This one has Daisy written on it, but I'm not sure if it's a woman or the toy rifle company. 

614659861_DetectiveComics33.thumb.jpg.323dbd9834114f2de6b38a3ae49872f2.jpg

As for the smell of a Edgar Church copy, I've never had the experience. The only one that I was able to hold was slabbed.

I'm sure it would've been a lot of scratch to sniff!  Imagine the look on a seller's face when after giving a book a thorough going over, you proceed to sniffing! You're either in the knows/nose, or you're not!   (:

On 5/9/2022 at 3:36 PM, speedcake said:

Did someone say scantily clad?  Not my copy. I was too lazy to get it out to scan. So I spent more time looking for this one on the internet than it would have taken to just scan my copy.   What a cover!

49246f3d146e2155e13883f5537e0fe9.jpg

King of the big snatch..... hahahaha . You cant make stuff up like that.

On 5/9/2022 at 7:33 PM, oakman29 said:

King of the big snatch..... hahahaha . You cant make stuff up like that.

His wife is...Queen of the Big Snatch?

I almost couldn't even type that from laughing. I kill myself. Sorry, but it was just needing to be said.

nice to meet you Betty-Bates! You have been here so long with so few posts, glad to see you posting more even with that quick trigger finger.

On 5/7/2022 at 12:37 PM, Math Teacher said:

I have recently noticed a slight trend on IG. I have seen sellers use women who are showing much of their "assets" as a method to sell books.

Look, I'm no prude. However, if I was a female collector, I would find this strategy to be offensive. If sellers used sculpted men in Speedo swimming trunks to sell comics, I would feel the same way. Again, I'm no prude. However, I don't think it's appropriate to use a person's sexuality to sell comics. With some other products, it's a fine line, but sexuality and comics just aren't related. Yes, this is despite the fact that many artists draw anatomically impossible women.

Do you agree with this method of selling comics? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Here are some recent examples:

1527991153_GirlwithComic.jpg.05f153bafa7218b701772783b392527a.jpg

1640087419_GirlwithComic1.jpg.b601b0d97d4046d172bef4905cb6df63.jpg

743799743_GirlwithComic2.thumb.jpg.abe4286029fd7a786641ffa338bf011b.jpg

ron.jpg

On 5/10/2022 at 7:22 AM, Lord Gemini said:
On 5/9/2022 at 8:33 AM, B2D327 said:

I think Stan was partly responsible for the decline of civilization. You can almost smell the smoke from the earth burning

image.jpeg.11462fca8ae09fb772efdbde8a8a779f.jpeg

Expand  

Christ...

I think he was more of an apostle..., 

Ha!   That's gotta be Stan's take on the Burt Reynolds photo.   Same one that Theo what's his face (Mitch's friend) did a version of for his Overstreet ad.

Edited by Bronty

On 5/7/2022 at 12:37 PM, Math Teacher said:

I have recently noticed a slight trend on IG. I have seen sellers use women who are showing much of their "assets" as a method to sell books.

Look, I'm no prude. However, if I was a female collector, I would find this strategy to be offensive. If sellers used sculpted men in Speedo swimming trunks to sell comics, I would feel the same way. Again, I'm no prude. However, I don't think it's appropriate to use a person's sexuality to sell comics. With some other products, it's a fine line, but sexuality and comics just aren't related. Yes, this is despite the fact that many artists draw anatomically impossible women.

Do you agree with this method of selling comics? I would like to hear your thoughts.

Here are some recent examples:

I don't know about selling comics, but I clicked on your thread about scantily clad women and you failed to deliver. 

Also, if I were a female, I'd be offended every time a guy used the phrase "if I were a female" to make a point. But that's just one hypothetical female's opinion. 

On 5/9/2022 at 4:11 PM, Betty-Bates said:

and how the aliens on Superworld #1 look like testicles in banana hammocks.

Never noticed that. Interesting observation.

Regardless of gender, the only important thing is to be introduced to and recognise a true comics fan.