• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using Scantily Women To Sell Comics
8 8

252 posts in this topic

On 5/9/2022 at 8:53 AM, Math Teacher said:

I have been accused of being a liar. Fair enough. I feel that I was mistaken, but you say T-O-M-A-T-O, I say T-O-M-A-T-O.

Here is why I called you a liar:

"Actually, I have seen pictures of the 3rd woman displaying her assets also. I just couldn't find them right before I posted."

Because you haven't. 

I think you said that just to try and save face. 

Plus the whole posting of these women's faces on a forum and claiming their bodies were being used by someone else, to sell books, when you had no clue whatsoever. 

You can call it "mistaken" but you completely made it all up, and involved 3 innocent peoples' faces. 

It was a dumb post and none of it was factual. 

On 5/9/2022 at 9:40 AM, Sigur Ros said:

Here is why I called you a liar:

"Actually, I have seen pictures of the 3rd woman displaying her assets also. I just couldn't find them right before I posted."

Because you haven't. 

I think you said that just to try and save face. 

Plus the whole posting of these women's faces on a forum and claiming their bodies were being used by someone else, to sell books, when you had no clue whatsoever. 

You can call it "mistaken" but you completely made it all up, and involved 3 innocent peoples' faces. 

It was a dumb post and none of it was factual. 

I guess you didn't see where I said that I made an ignorant post. It's clear that there is nothing I can do that will satisfy your need to continue chastising me. I guess I will have to learn to live with that.

On 5/9/2022 at 10:48 AM, Math Teacher said:

I guess you didn't see where I said that I made an ignorant post. It's clear that there is nothing I can do that will satisfy your need to continue chastising me. I guess I will have to learn to live with that.

No, I saw.  I wasn't trying to pile on this time, I was just explaining why I said it, that's all.  I saw you owned up to it but you seemed to think that part was just "tomato, tomato" .  I was just saying it's more than that. 

Anyway, everything's cool.  👍

On 5/10/2022 at 1:11 AM, Betty-Bates said:

I usually stalk the boards, but, I feel this post calling me. 😂

First, if you are not aware, I am a cis female. (For those that get angry at new words, I popped out of my mom with a vag and all of the girl juices expected.) 

I do not enjoy scantily women selling comics. It's not because I think they are doing something wrong, nor does the raw flesh of any gendered or non-gendered creature give me pause. I don't enjoy it because they easily distract weak men, and let's face it, you guys have a hard enough time spotting restoration without titties in the picture! The reason it nipps my nipples is that I have spent what feels like decades getting the comic guys to have a conversation with me about "real" book stuff without jumping to attempt to "knock me down a peg" or "set me straight", which seems to be the instinctual response by many men. Every time a new book slingling vixen comes on the scene, it feels like the presumed acumen of the female side of the hobby drops. I once again have to explain that I am not here to be a visual meal, I am here to go home with your pre-code collection.  

Are the woman doing it of their own accord? ABSOLUTELY! It feels awesome to feel like you are adored! Are guys getting every girl who is a 5+ to try to sell their books? Yup! But, knowledgeable men know that a set of jigglies next to a gold foil Turok the Dinosaur hunter doesn't increase it's worth. I'm not sideways because the girls are naked, I get sideways because I am seeing how absolutely gullible my guy friends are and it's sad. I get sideways because one gender in particular has a hard time separating out that there could be different types of women, and not all women want to show you their boobies while talking about books.

This is one of the things I battle with internally because I think that every person on Earth should be able to do whatever they want with their body. I do not get jealous of other people's bodies and I do not I think that they should be forced to be prudes because some think they should be. On the other hand, it took me more than 10 years to be able to go to a show and have a conversation with a book dealer about books and not talk abouab"girl things." I am in comic book groups and in comic book spaces so that I can talk about comic books, I am not looking for anyone to touch my body or give suggestions regarding my body. I don't want to talk about the fact that I'm female, I don't want to talk about my ovaries, my fallopian tubes, my estrogen or anything to do with my boobs. I want to collect comic books. I want to talk about the Glorious smell that comes from an early churchs. I want to talk about pre-code horror and Wortham. I want to talk about pre-bat tecs and how the aliens on Superworld #1 look like testicles in banana hammocks. I do not need or want anyone switching their brain channel to figure out if I have a thigh gap during that conversation.

I spent decades getting people to believe me when I say that I love comics and I understand them. Every single time a chick comes out in pasties holding a Raphael #1 I feel that I have to reclaim that I love comics or dudes immediately revert to putting me back into a cosplay box. I'm tired of having to re-explain that I don't cosplay. 

I would love to cosplay! It seems like a lot of fun! (Not for shows, comic shows are work for me, not play, but, it would be nice to waddle around in some latex!) But I probably never will because men have a hard time understanding that you can be both attractive and intelligent. I rarely post selfies on the internet, no less outfit pictures, because I don't want people to talk about me, I want to talk about comic books and for people to sell me their comic books so I can have more comic books! I don't need to have a discussion regarding my feelings on the attractiveness of a camel toe in modern fashion. Again, that has nothing to do with naked/simi-naked bodies, I think they're wonderful! But I also don't want a man's low-hanging fruit flapping about when they're talking about comic books either.

Other women do not define me in any way whatsoever, but in an outward perception of "female comic collectors", they do, and that's hard. There are only a handful of us that are female and are really into books. There are basketfuls of girls who like to show off their shells, and that's ok! But, I'm not a fan on the two always going hand in hand. No one needs to see your wife's junk, just show me your books. 💜💜

P.s. I know some of the women that are pictured, and they are not the ones I'm talking about in my post. They are actually very lovely women! I'm more talking about the ones that look like they've got a side job on onlyfans.

If we're being serious, and after this excellent post from a woman's pov, it seems like a good a time as any, I do ignore it, as I don't want to reward it, or be associated with it. I tend to roll my eyes at it as a tactic and look for other sellers with better pictures of just the book in question. Same way you wouldn't find me at a Hooters (if they existed here). Just not the kinda place I'd like to patronise.

It's like a little parasocial thingie to make more money, and it doesn't sit with me right. It exploits vulnerable and stupid men, and men who go into it willingly, to be fair. But it should be about the book, not the person selling it. 

On 5/10/2022 at 2:26 AM, Betty-Bates said:

Nah! I have a soft spot for weak and gullible critters. 🤣😂🤣😂🤣💜💜💜💜💜💜

I kinda feel like we should object to being called 'critters'...