• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Using Scantily Women To Sell Comics
8 8

252 posts in this topic

On 5/7/2022 at 8:12 PM, Math Teacher said:

I remember when girls were required to wear dresses/skirts to school, and how they were often asked to kneel down so the distance from their knee to the hem could be measured. Were the administrators at my school being misogynistic toward these girls? Or, even worse, were they "creeps?"

All signs point to yes.

On 5/8/2022 at 1:12 PM, Math Teacher said:

Honestly, none of you have heard women collectors decry the way most women are depicted in today's comics? You might want to check out the controversy of the Manara variant cover of Spider-Woman #1. The same could be said about many of the early Image comics, especially those drawn by Rob Liefeld.

Nobody liked the way they were depicted by Rob Liefeld. 

And yes, Manara is a terrific artist, but anyone who has seen his body of work would be leary about having him do regular western comic covers. That situation was bound to happen. 

On 5/8/2022 at 5:49 AM, Ken Aldred said:

But that’s an Adam Hughes cover.

Which is the comic book equivalent of classical art figurework.

It’s an admittedly fine line.

I have closely scrutinized that cover, and have not figured out where he put the "AH!"

I may have to go back and look closely again. For the culture.