• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

Comic Art Live - anyone buy anything?
2 2

55 posts in this topic

Really only had serious interest in one page that was listed on Sunday.  I hesitated for like 15 minutes to do some research and it was gone.  Oh well.  Of the 17 pieces I was tracking, looks like just the one sold.  I did appreciate that two sellers sent emails saying they lowered the prices on a couple of the pieces I was tracking.  I do look forward to this event, but this one was bereft of things on my wish list.  Snaps and a twist to me for staying disciplined.  

Lots of great pieces. Lots of high prices, but I can't fault them for trying. All it takes is one buyer.

One Spider-Man piece in particular made me laugh due to the exorbitant price level. I'd call it 10x what I'd value the piece, even in today's hot market. It seems as though everyone that has a Spider-Man page that features the black costume believes it to be worth a fortune because of two wildly outlier Heritage sales.

Like others have said I thought the prices were very high so I didn't buy anything. I thought the commissions were also high and my experiences with those through the event has not been great. I'm still waiting on one from the event last Fall and the event last Spring I had to get a refund because the rep stopped replying to emails and I didn't get my money back until I brought it up in the Facebook groups, (these aren't CAF's fault). 

On 5/23/2022 at 9:39 AM, Sean- said:

Were the Want List notification filters and messages from sellers of saved items on price drops new this time?  I didn’t remember it from before, but nice features!

Yeah, first time I noticed both as well. Good changes. I got a % discount notice from a seller about a watched piece - if the original price was anywhere close to the realm of reason, that email would’ve made me consider it. 

On 5/23/2022 at 12:39 PM, Sean- said:

It was a lot of fun searching through all of the art and getting to look over the scans.  I appreciate Bill and his teams time and effort.  Were the Want List notification filters and messages from sellers of saved items on price drops new this time?  I didn’t remember it from before, but nice features!

I got 3 pieces that I felt were fairly priced considering they were in categories you don’t see a ton in public sales.  I’ll contribute to the Morlock thread once they arrive.

Definitely a lot of aspirational flippers, many who strangely described themselves as motivated sellers or willing to make deals.  I’ve never been particularly skilled/comfortable with haggling.  I’d assume anything more than 15% off asking is offensive to offer, maybe some were willing to go much lower, but I just passed them by if their sticker prices were more than 15% above what I’d say was fair.

I was looking at one page which was listed by a seller who indicated he would make deals. The one page was $1,500 (and worth about 1/3-1/2 of that). He was willing to cut his price by $100.00. I declined.

One thing I have mentioned a few times before and I will mention again. While prices at auction and some private sales have been through the roof on "A" pages, what about average stuff or items below $2,500? Perhaps by broadcasting huge changes at the high end, we have let sellers inadvertently believe those increases uniformly apply at the lower end, too (which I doubt). In other words, the pricing here is a reflection of us being hoisted by our own petard.

On 5/23/2022 at 12:55 PM, Grant Turner said:

I bought a Ditko Daredevil 235 page featuring Mr Hyde, that I felt was reasonably priced (and I’ve been wanting a Ditko, Marvel, pre 90’s page for my collection)

the page right before it in the book, featuring the same characters and almost identical in layout and design, sold on heritage a month ago for twice what I paid for mine, so I think the seller was being fair

so I’m pretty happy!A34A907E-ADB7-4659-BFA7-CBB5907E5EF8.jpeg.99e50146eb70fdbb8de4128d35a7f166.jpeg

This was a great buy! I had seriously considered it.. Congrats! 

I didn’t buy anything this year as nothing really moved me in my usual price range ($250-$1000) towards a purchase but the event did place me in contact with a seller I’ve bought from before on a piece that he had on his CAF gallery that fit my collecting specifications excellently and I was very interested in.  It was over my comfort zone in price but he was willing to take off 10% and accepted timed payments so I took the plunge.

And I do agree that I like the feature of sellers being able to contact potential buyers via saved artworks so possible transactions are made more likely.

Edited by Benedict Judas Hel

On 5/23/2022 at 9:58 AM, KingOfRulers said:

Lots of great pieces. Lots of high prices, but I can't fault them for trying. All it takes is one buyer.

One Spider-Man piece in particular made me laugh due to the exorbitant price level. I'd call it 10x what I'd value the piece, even in today's hot market. It seems as though everyone that has a Spider-Man page that features the black costume believes it to be worth a fortune because of two wildly outlier Heritage sales.

Shortly after ASM 252 was published, several fan polls were taken in various comics magazine publications that showed an approximate 50/50 split regarding the new black & white costume vs the old red & blue, and I assume that's carried over into OA collecting.

However, given there are far less pages with the black & white costume, and given similar preference to one costume over the other, wouldn't pages with the black & white costume command higher prices than those with the red & blue?

On a side note, congrats to the buyers of the Web of Spidey #1 pages at the last HA auction...I think you did well, and those pages still have a lot of room to grow.  :cheers:

On 5/24/2022 at 8:02 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Shortly after ASM 252 was published, several fan polls were taken in various comics magazine publications that showed an approximate 50/50 split regarding the new black & white costume vs the old red & blue, and I assume that's carried over into OA collecting.

However, given there are far less pages with the black & white costume, and given similar preference to one costume over the other, wouldn't pages with the black & white costume command higher prices than those with the red & blue?

On a side note, congrats to the buyers of the Web of Spidey #1 pages at the last HA auction...I think you did well, and those pages still have a lot of room to grow.  :cheers:

That is a logical thought process. That is, equal demand being compressed into a much smaller supply. It very well may be the case. For me, personally, I don't look at it that way. In my eyes it was just an extremely overpriced Spider-Man page. I don't have separate desires to own a traditional Spider-Man costume page and a black costume page. For me, if it's an artist I like and a Spider-Man page that I enjoy, I'd like to own the page, regardless of the costume. From a collecting standpoint, I don't care about which costume is featured, so I would not fit into the logical equation that you expressed.

Edited by KingOfRulers

Made my first buys in CAF LIVE to date (near misses in previous shows). It is a great event that brings a lot of art to market - several that had not seen the light of day in a long time. Some prices were high but that's how it is these days - not unique to this event IMO. 

On 5/24/2022 at 9:40 AM, KingOfRulers said:

That is a logical thought process. That is, equal demand being compressed into a much smaller supply. It very well may be the case. For me, personally, I don't look at it that way. In my eyes it was just an extremely overpriced Spider-Man page. I don't have separate desires to own a traditional Spider-Man costume page and a black costume page. For me, if it's an artist I like and a Spider-Man page that I enjoy, I'd like to own the page, regardless of the costume. From a collecting standpoint, I don't care about which costume is featured, so I would not fit into the logical equation that you expressed.

Don’t get me wrong…I’m not attempting to justify the prices realized for the Two Secret Wars pages so much as I am thinking aloud about the availability of black costume Spidey pages potentially driving up prices 

On 5/24/2022 at 11:05 AM, jjonahjameson11 said:

Don’t get me wrong…I’m not attempting to justify the prices realized for the Two Secret Wars pages so much as I am thinking aloud about the availability of black costume Spidey pages potentially driving up prices 

For many collectors they consider the secret wars era the sweet spot of the comic events they well remember the Black costume era included.