• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

On 5/26/2022 at 7:17 AM, snitzer said:

The frustration shown here by members about the backwards change itself, and towards one another, speaks volumes about what a poor decision this is by CGC. 

It is a poor decision 

However, CGC doesnt have a good track record in clawing back poor choices

On 5/26/2022 at 9:17 AM, The Meta said:

Yeah fair enough, still, I feel these things can be hashed out somewhere else

I agree, but it doesn't appear to be happening here. My only intent was being interested in this thread not being derailed, and perpetuating the issues being discussed in the Mod thread. As I mentioned in my apology, I should have read through the entire thread before considering bringing it to Mike's attention.

On 5/26/2022 at 9:21 AM, theCapraAegagrus said:

I agree, but it doesn't appear to be happening here. My only intent was being interested in this thread not being derailed, and perpetuating the issues being discussed in the Mod thread. As I mentioned in my apology, I should have read through the entire thread before considering bringing it to Mike's attention.

I appreciate your concern. (thumbsu

It was just an inside joke between js and me but it's hard to tell these days because there has been so much animosity and noise on the boards. 

On 5/26/2022 at 7:56 AM, Figment said:

I've stopped submitting to CGC, and have already gotten VERY wary about buying slabs with serial numbers beginning with 3 or 4.  Now I find out that my Economy orders from August and September of last year (that have fallen off the dashboard but are still just "Scheduled") won't get the label detail expected.  Well ok, but it's just more reinforcement not to come back.

What is the issue with slabs starting with serial numbers 3 or 4?

On 5/26/2022 at 8:58 AM, Artboy99 said:

One thing I now want is an indicator on the label that the book has grader's notes since those notes are now becoming far more important to the slabbed book. Of the 60 books I got back last month only a handful of them had any graders notes. Nothing is more annoying than looking up a book to see the graders notes to discover there are none.

@CGC Mike This may be good to bring up :shy: js, makes sense :) 

On 5/26/2022 at 8:01 AM, ADAMANTIUM said:

@CGC Mike This may be good to bring up :shy: js, makes sense :) 

Absolutely.

A perfect example: I submitted 2 copies of New Teen Titans #2. When I graded them myself I had one book as a 9.0 possible 9.2, the other as a 9.4, when I got them back I was bang on 9.2 for the first copy, but the second one was in an 8.0 slab. I wanted to learn why the nicer presenting copy was only an 8.0 and looked up the data to discover there were no graders notes at all. Baffling.

Seriously thought about cracking the book and resubbing but it sold as is at the first show I displayed it at.

Edited by Artboy99

On 5/26/2022 at 10:09 AM, Artboy99 said:

Absolutely.

A perfect example: I submitted 2 copies of New Teen Titans #2. When I graded them myself I had one book as a 9.0 possible 9.2, the other as a 9.4, when I got them back I was bang on 9.2 for the first copy, but the second one was in an 8.0 slab. I wanted to learn why the nicer presenting copy was only an 8.0 and looked up the data to discover there were no graders notes at all. Baffling.

I've had cases where there were no notes posted right away, but they did show up at some point.

Tape

Significant missing parts from the cover

So, all I have to do is reholder this bad boy and I have a blue label with no notes. Now the piece missing is clearly visible, but the tape is not. Buyer beware people! :devil:

471700345_AF151_0cow.thumb.jpg.c18ce845b3c9951f13c9332d550eb385.jpg

On 5/26/2022 at 9:58 AM, Artboy99 said:

One thing I now want is an indicator on the label that the book has grader's notes since those notes are now becoming far more important to the slabbed book. Of the 60 books I got back last month only a handful of them had any graders notes. Extremely annoying to look up a book to see the graders notes to discover there are none.

That's a very good idea. 

Imagine wanting to see what's going on in the book, paying for a membership, only to find out there aren't any notes. 

I am unsure about the impact of this change. On the one hand it does seem counter intuitive to think that less information is better, but my experience  of watching market behaviour shows a hobby already gripped mainly by impulse buying in high pressure situations where (already) little to no information is provided  about books, sometimes with $10,000s at stake. CGC may have concluded  that its not likely to have any negative impact  on an already out of control marketplace. Comiclink posts books with no back cover pic. I hate that, but I still love them, and I still from time to time  roll  the dice and chase books  anyway. Heritage only recently in the last few years began including back cover  pics in its  auctions, and maybe I do bid more  now because  of that, but then or now if I really really want something I have  never let the lack of  info deter me, I will roll the dice. To  be honest about my own buying, I can be both in the same day, with one seller  in the Forum I can ask a million fussy questions about a book and by the time they are all answered  its  sold  to someone else, but an hour later in another fast moving thread I am hitting  the  F5  key so I get to the next  one first....

CGC is  a tool  to manage risk, to take  some of the uncertainty out of that dice roll. How  much risk  is  this  change  adding really? Is it  risk that is impacted or convenience? I think the more  telling issue is trust. If  the grader's notes were  consistent  in what  aspects  of a book they listed, based on a predictable  method, and were always  available  for reference, I  would say this is purely a convenience  issue...but the graders notes will have to live  up to their new  responsibilities. 

On 5/26/2022 at 8:14 AM, The Meta said:

Then you should be participating in the moderation thread when these things are being discussed 

Unfortunately that has turned into a discussion about Stan Lee.