• When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

CGC announces changes to label notations, see what remains?
20 20

634 posts in this topic

This of course makes their product easier to sell a top dollar prices.  Without the defects being listed you can sell it as if they don't exist.  The grade certainly doesn't tell the whole story.  The "input" they received that allegedly prompted this change is from retailers and auction houses who send books to grade a resell.  This is so transparent it makes me sick.

I will also add this... 

Buyers... do not be suckered into feeling you need an account to check the notes.

For the majority of comics slabbed today there are many more slabbed years ago.  CGC has a 20+ year history of slabbing comics.  So, as long as the book was graded before June of 2022 which you can verify, you are good if there are no indicators on the label.  However, anything after May of 2022 is going to be iffy. 

This is ridiculous. So "prominent members of the collecting community" do not want irregularities listed because why? Are their graded comics with problems not selling well enough? This stinks of fraud to me. Not every comic buyer has an account to look up the infomation when traveling to a normal comic show or con (adds a new meaning to the term). Seems to me you're going to get a lot of buyer's remorse here when they finally do get access, and are unhappy when they find all the internal problems on their newly purchased items. This is a good way to turn off a lot of buyers out there who feel they can no longer trust the CGC label. A really bad business move here guys.

On 5/25/2022 at 4:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m starting to think that this age of encapsulation will soon be coming to an end....

Pretty much

Hope the other guys fix their stupid forum and hire someone competent to moderate it so I can give them money 

On 5/25/2022 at 6:43 PM, Ryanfromottawa said:

Am I right by assuming that submitting a book with the specified label notes (ie tape on cover) for a reholder / re-case , will now come back with a clean label? 

yep

-bc

On 5/25/2022 at 4:50 PM, Buzzetta said:

So basically what you are telling people is that they are better off reslabbing the books that have these notations on the slab and submitting them to auction houses to sell, so the unassuming public can by these defect books and the sellers can maximize their profits when they go to sell.

Right now I feel like a sucker for never buying books with missing pieces or cutouts or things like that because there is now a killing to be made on books that have that.  No need to CPR the book, just crack and resubmit.  Stick it in the auction and get more than you would have.  The cost of slabbing on a few things is well worth the price. 

I have bought three graded books this year.   The more I see go on in this hobby the less I seem to buy. 

I think you’re spot on with the other intended consequence.  CGC not only drives additional membership $s to look up grader notes, but the reslab $ activity will increase as owners/sellers want to get their books out of slabs with obvious stated defects into slabs that have no notation to make it easier to sell to the uninformed public.

On 5/25/2022 at 5:54 PM, jaybuck43 said:

I for one am glad for this change! Don’t know what you’re all complaining about.  Comic collecting had gotten boring. You go and find the book you like, you negotiate with the seller, and you get what you paid for.  Now? It’s a free for all! All the fun of buying raw in a nice case! Thank you blackstone, you’ve definitely not endangered the long term health of the collecting market with this genius decision!

Truth Stated! It's not a party until someone loses an eye! 💀

On 5/25/2022 at 4:21 PM, THE_BEYONDER said:

I’m starting to think that this age of encapsulation will soon be coming to an end....

Wasn't this stated, perhaps by you, in another forum just recently? Perhaps the (lack of) QA thread?

The signs may be very telling.